Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

GoneHome wrote: »
    But do you not see that it's all very arbitary, I'm the same my parents are in their 70s we haven't seen them physically since mid-March, that's my point why would you then think it's ok for your kids to mix with other kids in close proximity and then come home to your house and likewise with all the other kids that are there at the training, madness.
    So how long do you expect everyone to keep their kids at home? Do you have kids?

jimmy G M wrote: »
    No, was in two minds but with the weekend and warm weather and cost and disgust I dont think I will. ..
    It would bug me and if another one died I would have liked to know the cause

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

No, was in two minds but with the weekend and warm weather and cost and disgust I dont think I will. ..

I am sorry to hear of your loss, but it haa given me the motivation go back out to the out farm where I saw and admired one single foxglove plant in flower today.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Life wont be normal until theres a vaccine.
    https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/13/coronavirus-vaccine-europe-s-inclusive-vaccines-alliance-strikes-giant-agreement-with-astr
    And by the look of it things are looking good

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

ganmo wrote: »
    https://www.euronews.com/2020/06/13/coronavirus-vaccine-europe-s-inclusive-vaccines-alliance-strikes-giant-agreement-with-astr

Biggest goldrush in decades up for grabs to the initial winner and who can refine to the best longterm vaccine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

ganmo wrote: »

It's really only when we have a vaccine that things will go back to normal, can people not understand that and take all appropriate precautions, like why in god's name would a parent be sending kids out to football training mixing with god knows how many other kids and then coming back to their own home, lunacy.

Biggest goldrush in decades up for grabs to the initial winner and who can refine to the best longterm vaccine.

I just hope theres no crazy side effects of the first one.
    Dont want the anti vaccers to get any fuel for their tiki torches

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

What is a vaccine?

A vaccine is a weaker version of the targeted virus.

How does this work?

It works in that the weaker version doesn't harm or do the same damage that the real virus inflicts.

How exactly does this work?

The body encounters the vaccine/weaker version and the body puts up a defence against the vaccine - antibodies.
    The body then has antibodies that are then able for the stronger, the real out in the wild virus when the body does indeed encounter the virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,145 ✭✭✭jimmy G M

I am sorry to hear of your loss, but it have given me the motivation go back out to the out farm where I saw and admired one single foxglove plant in flower today.

Just back in from walking the field where heifer was. Found 2 foxglove flowers with the tops eaten off.... pulled about 20 flowers in total.... electric fence going up along that ditch tomorrow.....

https://csuvth.colostate.edu/poisonous_plants/Plants/Details/59

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Covid-19 is only the first wave of lethal viruses. Just way too many of us on the planet living a lifestyle that's just not sustainable.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Foxglove is the source of the drug digitalis. Wasn't aware of the cattle risk.
    As children we used to pull the flowers and suck the nectar out of the back!!

Not the thread for it, see the amended title, but Patsy take that over to AH or Conspiracy Theories.

It's really only when we have a vaccine that things will go back to normal, can people not understand that and take all appropriate precautions, like why in god's name would a parent be sending kids out to football training mixing with god knows how many other kids and then coming back to their own home, lunacy.

I am sure the gaa and fai have done their homework on getting a safe passage back to sports , so I'm happy to work with them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Just back in from walking the field where heifer was. Found 2 foxglove flowers with the tops eaten off.... pulled about 20 flowers in total.... electric fence going up along that ditch tomorrow.....

Was the ground where they are growing disturbed in the last year.

I gathered a lot more foxgloves than the single one I went out for. I am surprised to see the foxgloves growing there, as the soil is alkaline. The ground was reclaimed last year.Better eliminate them before they take hold.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Covid-19 is only the first wave of lethal viruses. Just way too many of us on the planet living a lifestyle that's just not sustainable.

I've argued that very point for years, mankind has evolved far beyond what could have been reasonably expected and we are becoming a victim of our own success. The consumerist lifestyle that a large proportion of society lead isn't sustainable. Part of the problem I believe is that there a are significant number of people alive today who wouldn't have survived in any other period of human history. The old, weak and infirm would have been picked off in the days before care homes who have made an industry out of farming there resident's.

As for those who argue that we need to keep up social distancing and self isolation measures who will pay for it all? Please don't tell me it's not about money because nothing is until the finances run out and then every life has an economic value placed upon it. The economy has already been dealt a catastrophic blow and the resulting fallout will cause the death of people in immeasurable ways for year's to come. How long can people be expected to hide at home before we start to realize the so called "temporary cure" is almost as bad as the disease. There's no happy answers but it's ludicrous to expect we can continue what has occured in the last few months long-term with no specific end date. If there's no vaccine in the medium term or another strain becomes widespread will we all be expected to hide at home under the bed indefinitely?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭GoneHome

[QUOTE=Albert Johnson;As for those who argue that we need to keep up social distancing and self isolation measures who will pay for it?[/QUOTE]

Very well said Albert, and while I agree with the substantiate part of what you're saying I think the point above is mute as in any government worth its salt will provide for their people in a time of crisis

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Very well said Albert, and while I agree with the substantiate part of what you're saying I think the point above is mute as in any government worth its salt will provide for their people in a time of crisis

I can understand that for anyone in close contact with vulnerable people it's a living nightmare and they have my sympathies. I'm not suggesting we throw them to the wolves but I do believe we will need to make some difficult decisions before all this comes to pass. I think it was Churchill who advocated that they'd "fight them on the beaches and in the streets" although he surely hoped it would never come to that. It's the same for the government of today, I'd like to think they'd continue to provide for there people but limitless resources are rarely that.

Even if we could afford to keep financing a country wide lockdown for God knows how long it will be the same people that will pay for it in time to come. I've no doubt that public services will be curtailed and businesses and individuals will suffer, this will all lead to a certain level of death and destruction for many. It's misleading to claim that no lives will be lost needlessly, sadly the scars of this episode will be apparent for years to come no matter how great the eventual triumph.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I've been back to my home place in north county Dublin a number of times during the lockdown and I was appalled to see people (old and young) behaving as normal around shops and green areas/football pitches in Brackenstown/Swords especially during the sunny weather.

Is there much grass where they were grazing?

Not overly flush with grass anywhere on the farm here at the moment. They were due to be moved out of that paddock in 2 days... I operate a 6-7 day paddock/field rotation system.

The grass level was probably a contributing factor, but the stock are definitely not hungry. They are in a fresh paddock now.

Was saying it to my dad about the fox gloves, he was shocked.we have agood few on our outfarm and never thought of them eating them

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was saying it to my dad about the fox gloves, he was shocked.we have agood few on our outfarm and never thought of them eating them

Ill be checking the ditches around here from now on.... Easy to spot this time of year with the pink flowers....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Would anyone have some recommendations for shed builders in the North West area? S. Leitrim to be precise so Cavan/Roscommon/Leitrim/Longford etc would probably be where I'd look for one to be based. Looking at putting up a dry shed along the back of our slatted one, so girders, roofing etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Would anyone have some recommendations for shed builders in the North West area? S. Leitrim to be precise so Cavan/Roscommon/Leitrim/Longford etc would probably be where I'd look for one to be based. Looking at putting up a dry shed along the back of our slatted one, so girders, roofing etc.

I got my shed last year off North West Tool Hire , they are close to Carrick/Leitrim village. Sound to deal with and good shed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

mayota wrote: »
    I got my shed last year off North West Tool Hire , they are close to Carrick/Leitrim village. Sound to deal with and good shed.

Hadn't even thought about those. Thanks! Just putting together a list to ring with specs & see if I can get some quotes.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

How long does it take after spraying for roundup or grazon to be safe from rain??

Edit to say knapsack spraying

TheFarrier wrote: »
    How long does it take after spraying for roundup or grazon to be safe from rain??

Edit to say knapsack spraying

Usually an hour

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Sean Brady Engineering In Killeshandra would be best option
    There also a few in Fermanagh advertised on DD
    Fee, Maguire, KC Engineering

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sean Brady Engineering In Killeshandra would be best option
    There also a few in Fermanagh advertised on DD
    Fee, Maguire, KC Engineering

You could also try Seamus McArdle in Cloverhill, and Newtowngore Engineering in , eh, Newtowngore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement