Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Base price wrote: »
    What’s the jist ??
    No subscription here.

TheFarrier wrote: »
    How long does it take after spraying for roundup or grazon to be safe from rain??

Edit to say knapsack spraying

Quick, quicker than you’d think.

We were wiping rushes in a meadow few years ago and it started light rain. Kept going out of stubbornness and the last section, about a quarter of the meadow you wouldn’t notice it was done in the rain.

In this weather I’d say if it got 15-20 minutes it would be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

TheFarrier wrote: »
    How long does it take after spraying for roundup or grazon to be safe from rain??

Edit to say knapsack spraying

A period without rain of at least 6 hours, and preferably. 24 hours, must follow application of Roundup Pro Biactive herbicide. Do not spray in windy conditions....

and 24 hours rain free for Grazon, (I know this for a fact, as I got caught out by not reading the label)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

_Brian wrote: »
    What’s the jist ??
    No subscription here.
    Sorry, it didn't state it was subscription only.
    "The deal agreed by the three parties will see the introduction of a new flagship environmental scheme, a food ombudsman, a new agricultural appeals review panel as well as government supports for on-farm renewable energy such as solar and small-scale wind"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

What’s the jist ??
    No subscription here.

The gist of it, should be on Agriland or some such soon enough.
    The deal agreed by the three parties will see the introduction of a new flagship environmental scheme, a food ombudsman, a new agricultural appeals review panel as well as government supports for on-farm renewable energy such as solar and small-scale wind.

• Advertisement

Reckon I'll wait for the details myself before being "pleased" or "pleasantly surprised" with any agriculture related schemes under a new government.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was saying it to my dad about the fox gloves, he was shocked.we have agood few on our outfarm and never thought of them eating them

Spotted this a while ago.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Spotted this a while ago.

We used to pop the flowers on the fox glove, my dad said they used to suck the honey out of them :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Base price wrote: »

I reckon the reps need is being rolled out as marketing
    The power generation aspect will need to have a method for paying the generator for energy supplied to the grid.
    The food ombusman will need someone strong because they'll be getting it from all sides

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Fecker..

And they were all spread out fairly well.

I lost a foal one time to a lightning strike in the middle of a field. Thankfully none of the rest of the horses in the field were hit and insurance covered the loss of the foal.

The above reminds me of a clip of a soccer match in the rain. Lightning struck the wet pitch and there was a good few players got the shock up from the ground.

We're not done with this weather yet. It's to stay thundery up to Thursday it seems.

That would sicken me. It's bad enough loosing one to illness but 9 at one go is heartbreaking.

A lot of details emerging about farm policy. A national liming programme, an enlarged ASSAP, further supports for LESS, a survey of all hedgerows, a new REPS, some method of deferred profit taxation and encouraging dual purpose breeds in dairying, support for agroforestry or silvopasture and a change in farm assist are some of the more notable points.

The devil will be in the detail though.

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/programme-for-government-the-full-details-for-agriculture-revealed-551835

• Registered Users Posts: 21,420 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Fecker..

And they were all spread out fairly well.

I lost a foal one time to a lightning strike in the middle of a field. Thankfully none of the rest of the horses in the field were hit and insurance covered the loss of the foal.

The above reminds me of a clip of a soccer match in the rain. Lightning struck the wet pitch and there was a good few players got the shock up from the ground.

We're not done with this weather yet. It's to stay thundery up to Thursday it seems.
    More your side of the country from Tuesday on.

That Programme looks quite detailed, Buford.

Water John wrote: »
    More your side of the country from Tuesday on.

That Programme looks quite detailed, Buford.

Paper never refused ink, John. I'll wait to see the programme in action before I judge it. There's some good points coming out and some bad ones but funding levels will determine how effective any of it will be, i think.

Paper never refused ink, John. I'll wait to see the programme in action before I judge it. There's some good points coming out and some bad ones but funding levels will determine how effective any of it will be, i think.

I believe I read some funding for this REPS2 will come from CAP and a raised Carbon Tax. I'd imagine if that's the case that's meaning everyones GLAS income plus the extra cost of the CT. The issue will be what flaming hoops of bull**** will be involved in REPS2, and what level of cost or income loss will be involved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

The thunder and lightning last night was unbelievable in west Clare. The whole house was shook. 6” gap under the bed and dog climbed under and couldn’t get out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Normally if there’s any rain or whatever else going in the country we get it here.
    Not a drop in the last week, the drought is getting worse here by the minute. The boss man, whose out a long time, said if we got no rain today we’ll get next to nothing for the week ahead. I’m strip grazing here, the grass is gone to seed.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Taking money out of CAP to find a different scheme is not much use to farmers overall. Yes it might help whatever the aim of the scheme is but how much will disappear into the planners pockets.

Think you are being very hard on the foxgloves. Have lots here and never any problems. Cattle just don't eat them. Maybe you had a very curious neither but my guess would be blackleg. Was she vaccinated?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

The thunder and lightning last night was unbelievable in west Clare. The whole house was shook. 6” gap under the bed and dog climbed under and couldn’t get out.

Them cows died from todays lightening , shook house here and were 7/8 miles from them cows that died

Have to say this.

We took in rescue chickens from a free range operation.

The chickens are in rag order. In my stupidity I thought free range operations were better for chickens.

If cattle on farms were routinely in this condition it would be a national scandal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Taking money out of CAP to find a different scheme is not much use to farmers overall. Yes it might help whatever the aim of the scheme is but how much will disappear into the planners pockets.

Think you are being very hard on the foxgloves. Have lots here and never any problems. Cattle just don't eat them. Maybe you had a very curious neither but my guess would be blackleg. Was she vaccinated?

I have a copy of the FF FG Green 'agreement '
    The Agriculture section is 14 pages
    It's not the worst I've ever read but copper fastens environmental stuff that will bankrupt larger newly expanded or new entrant dairy farmers in my opinion unless supports to them are massively increased
    There are 'sustainable ' ways of doing this but its complicated
    Doing this alongside the UK importing all sorts of un regulated food in competition with our increasingly regulated and frankly uneconomic sphere and in the light of the rest of the world not doing this especially china and the U.S is wacky to say the least

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Mortelaro wrote: »
    It's not the worst I've ever read but copper fastens environmental stuff that will bankrupt larger newly expanded or new entrant dairy farmers in my opinion unless supports to them are massively increased
    Doing this alongside the UK importing all sorts of un regulated food in competition with our increasingly regulated and frankly uneconomic sphere and in the light of the rest of the world not doing this especially china and the U.S is wacky to say the least

What the Greens are proposing is going to be EU law within a decade anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Have to say this.

The chickens are in rag order. In my stupidity I thought free range operations were better for chickens.

If cattle on farms were routinely in this condition it would be a national scandal.

Only difference is they are housed together in a big shed. There are still thousands of them together and they are being pumped full of all sorts.... the difference between battery and free range is feck all tbh.

Have to say this.

The term free range is not necessarily what most people think it is. Here is a link to DAFM for the terms/specs that are used for poultry.
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingsectors/poultry/guidelinesforfreerangepoultryproducersandslaughterhouses72010.pdf

Mortelaro wrote: »

If anybody wants to read it, link below, I hope.

https://linksharing.samsungcloud.com/1592200502849CqIecFq

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

Some of the uninformed tripe in the green wish list thread would amaze

dmakc wrote: »
    Some of the uninformed tripe in the green wish list thread would amaze

Where is that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement