Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

dmakc wrote: »
    Some of the uninformed tripe in the green wish list thread would amaze

Is there a one child limit per woman.

*Joking obviously..

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

mayota wrote: »
    I got my shed last year off North West Tool Hire , they are close to Carrick/Leitrim village. Sound to deal with and good shed.
    Sean Brady Engineering In Killeshandra would be best option
    There also a few in Fermanagh advertised on DD
    Fee, Maguire, KC Engineering
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    You could also try Seamus McArdle in Cloverhill, and Newtowngore Engineering in , eh, Newtowngore.

Thanks guys, have to just draw up the specs now for quotes :)

Must look and see if Sean Gilroy is still doing them. He did our first shed 20 yrs ago, grand chap, if a bit easy going!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Base price wrote: »
    The term free range is not necessarily what most people think it is. Here is a link to DAFM for the terms/specs that are used for poultry.
    https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/farmingsectors/poultry/guidelinesforfreerangepoultryproducersandslaughterhouses72010.pdf

Holy jesus 27.5 kg of chickens per square meter.

Our 5 have a 6sq meter Cage when they are In for the night and I was feeling bad.

I’m kinda disgusted.

Big rethink on sourcing chicken and eggs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

_Brian wrote: »
    Holy jesus 27.5 kg of chickens per square meter.

Our 5 have a 6sq meter Cage when they are In for the night and I was feeling bad.

I’m kinda disgusted.

Big rethink on sourcing chicken and eggs here.

Highlights the utter waste of money that the likes of Bord Bia spend trying to spin such things as "green" etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I have a copy of the FF FG Green 'agreement '
    The Agriculture section is 14 pages
    It's not the worst I've ever read but copper fastens environmental stuff that will bankrupt larger newly expanded or new entrant dairy farmers in my opinion unless supports to them are massively increased
    There are 'sustainable ' ways of doing this but its complicated
    Doing this alongside the UK importing all sorts of un regulated food in competition with our increasingly regulated and frankly uneconomic sphere and in the light of the rest of the world not doing this especially china and the U.S is wacky to say the least

A race to the bottom on standards and an ever shrinking margin does few much good either - the intensive pig and poultry industry being a prime example of that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

God, Donedeal is made to sell on. Put up an add for a bull about a month ago. No calls whatsoever the first week or so. Changed the add a bit and then 3 calls in an hour. First 2 calls were to ring back but never did. 3rd guy came a long way with box. Transferred payment to my account there and then. I transferred on agfood and he left with bull.
    I forgot to take down add and got another call yesterday. All other bulls are young still but he came anyway and another deal done. This morning one of the original callers phones back. He buys another young bull and cow and calf he takes a fancy to. He reckons he'll have a buyer for another older bull I have too.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

With all that's going on in the world lately and even on here.
    You'd have to wonder where the world's future is heading. We're either heading to a future like the film "Tron". All sterile and spoofy with made up jobs.
    Or "The darling buds of May" with Rachel Allen telling everyone how to live.

Can we not go back to the 80's. We could even elect some Col Ghadafi fella here for the craic. Start off a phoney war with Iceland.
    Bring back a ten pint driving limit and Fiat 126's.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Highlights the utter waste of money that the likes of Bord Bia spend trying to spin such things as "green" etc.

It’s a total shambles.

Some of these birds are dn all better than stacked battery hens I saw on farms in the early 90’s,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

Can we not go back to the 80's. .

Same interest rates?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Suckler wrote: »
    Same interest rates?

Very true, during the eighties I remember a gentleman farmer getting 30%pa spot interest rate on his cattle money after selling in October....
    Banks obviously had to have money that time before they could lend it out so had to compete for it on the market,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Whats the best spray for rushes folks? MCPA is it?

Have a few that I need to spray, they have been getting worse every year and need to tackle em before they get outa control...

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Daughter blew up our electric kettle last night by boiling it with no water in it. Turned off aga yesterday to get it serviced. You'd miss a cup of tea in the morning. Boiled a pot of water on the electric cooker and made a cup of tea it was yuck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Had someone an animal with brown snout recently
    How are they now?

I’ve a weanling got it yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

whelan2 wrote: »
    Daughter blew up our electric kettle last night by boiling it with no water in it. Turned off aga yesterday to get it serviced. You'd miss a cup of tea in the morning. Boiled a pot of water on the electric cooker and made a cup of tea it was yuck.

My first thought was that scene in Fr Ted where Dougal asks what happens if you boil the kettle with no water in it :D

Microwaved water is shíte too, only tastes right out of a kettle.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The next thing to try is to nuke a mug of water :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Had someone an animal with brown snout recently
    How are they now?

I’ve a weanling got it yesterday
    Had a couple of calves that got sunburn on their noses/soft tissue around their eyes and it put them off sucking. Brought them in for a few days and put on sudocreme and the Vet gave us a shot of dexameth. I brought the cow in twice a day to them. They are fine now and back out.
    Brown snout is a reaction to something that they ate. St. John's Worth is normally associated with it but there are other plants that can trigger it. We had a cow years ago that got it and she had to be kept indoors during the day for that summer. We let her out at night to graze but she eventually got over it and was fine the following year. We put sudocreme on her as well to help with the peeling/hard skin.
    Edit: The cow was a red/white simx and the areas where she had white hair was badly affected with the hair falling out and skin peeling/blistering.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Had a couple of calves that got sunburn on their noses/soft tissue around their eyes and it put them off sucking. Brought them in for a few days and put on sudocreme and the Vet gave us a shot of dexameth. I brought the cow in twice a day to them. They are fine now and back out.
    Brown snout is a reaction to something that they ate. St. John's Worth is normally associated with it but there are other plants that can trigger it. We had a cow years ago that got it and she had to be kept indoors during the day for that summer. We let her out at night to graze but she eventually got over it and was fine the following year. We put sudocreme on her as well to help with the peeling/hard skin.
    Edit: The cow was a red/white simx and the areas where she had white hair was badly affected with the hair falling out and skin peeling/blistering.

How are the shorthorns doing these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Plenty of crows

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Plenty of crows

Go for the furthest bale each time. That'll keep them spooked. Have you a few moving scare crows ? 😀

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

How are the shorthorns doing these days?
    Waiting for the red one to calf, she is due early July.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Check this out on Agriland - Bord na Móna to suspend peat harvesting https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/bord-na-mona-to-suspend-peat-harvesting-and-focus-on-rehabilitation/
    Looks like no more peat bedding

Reggie. wrote: »
    Check this out on Agriland - Bord na Móna to suspend peat harvesting https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/bord-na-mona-to-suspend-peat-harvesting-and-focus-on-rehabilitation/

As if straw wasn't going to be scarce or dear enough this year

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Plenty of crows

That's our yard every fecking day.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭GiantPencil

Had a bull with it too that I mentioned in this chat a few weeks back. Got anti inflammatories and 2 weeks indoors and he went back out last weekend. All the redness is now starting to peel and he looks miserable but he's all good now. Happened to get a second opinion from another vet and he was the guy who recognised it right away, was a nice touch when he called a few days later enquiring how he was getting on.

Reggie. wrote: »

Is this a good thing overall, to leave the peat bogs as they are?

wrangler wrote: »
    As if straw wasn't going to be scarce or dear enough this year

I'd say your safe this year as itll be harvested already but none for next year

Is this a good thing overall, to leave the peat bogs as they are?

Parks and Wildlife jailed a local here last week for trying to harvest peat....... must be going to put the boot in this year

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/i-the-man-created-by-god-westmeath-man-jailed-for-contempt-of-court-1004764.html

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Parks and Wildlife jailed a local here last week for trying to harvest peat....... must be going to put the boot in this year

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/courts/high-court/man-proclaiming-to-be-not-of-your-society-jailed-for-contempt-1.4276976

Is that the pile stacked at the edge of the road

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement