Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »
    Is that the pile stacked at the edge of the road

Do you mean near milltownpass, I wonder would that be coralstown,
    I haven't been on that road since the motorway was built

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

wrangler wrote: »
    Parks and Wildlife jailed a local here last week for trying to harvest peat....... must be going to put the boot in this year

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/i-the-man-created-by-god-westmeath-man-jailed-for-contempt-of-court-1004764.html

Jaysus, what was he on about in court? :confused:

Don't have much sympathy really, if turf cutting was banned in 2017. Plenty restrictions been put in farming that we have to abide by too, that's just the way it is...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

wrangler wrote: »
    Do you mean near milltownpass, I wonder would that be coralstown,
    I haven't been on that road since the motorway was built

Yeah. Same stretch of bog

Jaysus, what was he on about in court? :confused:

Don't have much sympathy really, if turf cutting was banned in 2017. Plenty restrictions been put in farming that we have to abide by too, that's just the way it is...

Don't know what that was about, he's a hard worker so wouldn't expect that from him.
    Could be cleverness

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Struggling at moment to get any farm work done. Oh has started back working and she is difficult. No child minder with the Covid. Only getting to check cattle rushed in the morning and then properly in evening.

Missed them this morning as she went to work early and I’d to organise small lady’s sports day.

Found a calf an hour from death. Got him to get. Seriously dehydrated. Has been put on a 6litre drip and hoping that will help him going he’s 8 weeks.
    Vet reckoned it may be pneumonia but only a maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is there anyone local you could get to mind the kids for an hour during the day. Take the pressure off

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is there anyone local you could get to mind the kids for an hour during the day. Take the pressure off

Nobody. My brother is up the road but near impossible to get. My mother just isn’t able. When the younger two are out of nappies, I’ll have some hope but that’s 2.5 years away.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Check this out on Agriland - Bord na Móna to suspend peat harvesting https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/bord-na-mona-to-suspend-peat-harvesting-and-focus-on-rehabilitation/
    Looks like no more peat bedding

Peat bedding never had a future with climate and biodiversity issues to the fore. Personally I think woodchip is a better solution to straw. It does take a long time to compost, but you can bed the animals on the compost before spreading it, further enriching it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Nobody. My brother is up the road but near impossible to get. My mother just isn’t able. When the younger two are out of nappies, I’ll have some hope but that’s 2.5 years away.

My daughter is 16 and she helps out a family up the road for an hour or so every so often. We are no relation to them. Always handy to have someone to fall back on in case of an emergency

The girl who minded my lads Last year when I had 2- age 4 and 1 was great. But total different dynamic with 5,2 and a 7 month old.
    To be honest, it’s pure stressful with no one around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Is this a good thing overall, to leave the peat bogs as they are?

For the purposes of carbon storage, flood control, water quality, biodiversity etc. -
    yes would be the short answer

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

The girl who minded my lads Last year when I had 2- age 4 and 1 was great. But total different dynamic with 5,2 and a 7 month old.
    To be honest, it’s pure stressful with no one around.

In similar here
    Does the baby have a mid day nap?
    If you could organize for a 1/2 hr window

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Amyone know much about fuelcards/vouchers?
    Thinking being with the weekend work at home and on other farms on top of the Monday to Friday gig ill be rode for tax with the few extra bits here and there, cash isnt an option the days of cashing cheques in the pub is gone too so i was wondering what the go is with fuelcards?
    Eg after a month i have €500 built up owed to me the lad who owes it to me could buy a fuel card/voucher for €500 and give it to me in lieu of money, his money is declared as a farm expense and ive my fuel covered for a bit.
    Revenue are hardly going to be tracking whos tank the diesels going i to are they?
    Dont mind paying tax where its due but everything here iz taxed to the heavens before you even pay income tax and you get sweet F of A value from the tax paid here aswell, so thats my reasoning behind this idea.

Better living everyone

In similar here
    Does the baby have a mid day nap?
    If you could organize for a 1/2 hr window

She does but the 2yo goes loopers if I disappear. He would wake the house. He doesn’t have a nap. Doesn’t stop from 6am-7:30pm.

I’ll have a think. Will get up earlier. And see can I get my sister to give a hand on one of her days off. And will see can my brother down the road give a hand.
    His wife isn’t working right now but their baby died in March so not too keen in asking her just yet.

When beef scheme over, I’ll reduce altogether until I’m in a position to have more time.

I missed a training evening online tonight, the boss is keen for me to do them with intention of promotion. But I need to make time for myself. Plenty of time for promotion in 10 years.

Thinking being with the weekend work at home and on other farms on top of the Monday to Friday gig ill be rode for tax with the few extra bits here and there, cash isnt an option the days of cashing cheques in the pub is gone too so i was wondering what the go is with fuelcards?
    Eg after a month i have €500 built up owed to me the lad who owes it to me could buy a fuel card/voucher for €500 and give it to me in lieu of money, his money is declared as a farm expense and ive my fuel covered for a bit.
    Revenue are hardly going to be tracking whos tank the diesels going i to are they?
    Dont mind paying tax where its due but everything here iz taxed to the heavens before you even pay income tax and you get sweet F of A value from the tax paid here aswell, so thats my reasoning behind this idea.

That's my view too. no value for our taxes, time to take action ourselves

• Registered Users Posts: 21,419 ✭✭✭✭Water John

There are great advantages in a tax free income, esp if it's legit.

The calf just died. Disappointed but figured the outcome when I saw him.

Tough year so far- only 12 cows at moment,- 2 sections and two calves lost. One at birth and one at 8weeks.
    , (today)

As they say, once it stays outside your door.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Tough year so far- only 12 cows at moment,- 2 sections and two calves lost. One at birth and one at 8weeks.
    , (today)

Sadly it’s not easy
    But you’re priorities are right
    There’ll be lots of cattle but not them 3
    As much as they annoy us at times

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Local lad has got a new toy.
    Out for a spin most Sundays, and passes over the house.
    Must be money in the round baling! :D
    PyKKwin.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Someone got a good laugh out of doing this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    PyKKwin.jpg

Theres been 3 or 4 deaths in them yolks in the past few years

ganmo wrote: »
    Theres been 3 or 4 deaths in them yolks in the past few years

Years ago, a Lad in a neighbouring village built his own from scrap. First flight, he used football pitch as the runway, took off perfectly, forgot about wings and went straight through the goalposts, barely survived.

Smart enough to build his own plant but not smart enough to think about goalposts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

, (today)

Get yourself an Angus bull and get rid of some of the hardship for yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Death and taxes...

I don't know about the fuel cards, but we all have to pay the same taxes.

Whats the benefit for the lads paying you 500euro in fuel vouchers? Surely if they paid you 500euro wages it would still be a farm expense for them.

I don't employ anyone, so I might be the wrong person to comment - but I wouldn't be a fan of lads coming looking for dodgy receipts or some other methods to avoid paying tax.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

[HTML][/HTML]
    Nekarsulm wrote: »
    PyKKwin.jpg

I think your close to me?. Have you seen the lads with the parachutes and the fans on their back. I think theyre from Broadfard/Cadamstown direction?.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

Panch18 wrote: »

agree with this comment . have a couple neighbours here who work of farm 9 to 5 and i dread seeing their phone no come up in spring time ( cows down, calves and cows lost but met with a shrug and no changes made)

Panch18 wrote: »

Twas the heifers that were wrong. The cows and heifers normally calve themselves to him.

After the genomic scheme, I’m thinking of going speckle park or Irish moiled route. But will see. Need to find people interested in the weanlings first.

agree with this comment . have a couple neighbours here who work of farm 9 to 5 and i dread seeing their phone no come up in spring time ( cows down, calves and cows lost but met with a shrug and no changes made)

That’s a presumption on me. I have no neighbours that I call in the way you are called. The Covid 19 change of OHs shifts and lack of child care had exasperated my situation. These would normally be in place. Re calving, touch wood no cows down, rarely a pull and the two sections from were poor choice/luck of heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

That’s a presumption on me. I have no neighbours that I call in the way you are called. The Covid 19 change of OHs shifts and lack of child care had exasperated my situation. These would normally be in place. Re calving, touch wood no cows down, rarely a pull and the two sections from were poor choice/luck of heifers.

More in general where the same things happen year in year out without any change or adopting to changes in circumstances> I farm differently now at 50 to when i was 25 etc> one of the people i referenced earlier had an elderly parent to keep an eye on things years ago ( ring me or vet) but now farming the same as before without that backup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    [HTML][/HTML]

I think your close to me?. Have you seen the lads with the parachutes and the fans on their back. I think theyre from Broadfard/Cadamstown direction?.

Ah, I'm here near the Cavan/Leitrim/Longford triangle.
    This lad had the micro light, and another fellow has a fixed wing plane, and I'm told has built a runway on the land.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement