Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Ah, I'm here near the Cavan/Leitrim/Longford triangle.
    This lad had the micro light, and another fellow has a fixed wing plane, and I'm told has built a runway on the land.
    Is that the same one near Buddy's. I got an awful fright a couple of years ago when driving that road when a small airplane appeared over the hedge after taking off in a field.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Base price wrote: »
    Is that the same one near Buddy's. I got an awful fright a couple of years ago when driving that road when a small airplane appeared over the hedge after taking off in a field.

No, these lads are between Killeshandra and Arva.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

No, these lads are between Killeshandra and Arva.

That's pure bandit country

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ah, I'm here near the Cavan/Leitrim/Longford triangle.
    This lad had the micro light, and another fellow has a fixed wing plane, and I'm told has built a runway on the land.

There's a lad down this way with a microlight. This fella is at it must be twenty years.
    Goes out on calm evenings. Stays away from farm yards and up good and high.

He's a farmer I think just out to see how the countryside is looking.
    I reckon it's a lovely pastime.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

She does but the 2yo goes loopers if I disappear. He would wake the house. He doesn’t have a nap. Doesn’t stop from 6am-7:30pm.

I’ll have a think. Will get up earlier. And see can I get my sister to give a hand on one of her days off. And will see can my brother down the road give a hand.
    His wife isn’t working right now but their baby died in March so not too keen in asking her just yet.

When beef scheme over, I’ll reduce altogether until I’m in a position to have more time.

I missed a training evening online tonight, the boss is keen for me to do them with intention of promotion. But I need to make time for myself. Plenty of time for promotion in 10 years.

I was a teacher in a past life. Those promotions are boll*xology.
    The AP11 is worth about €4k before tax. Take away 40% tax, 4.5% USC, 4% PRSI, 10% PRD, and 6 % pension contributions (there is a benefit to that so leave that out if you like). That is 64.5% you don't get in your hand. So that equals €1420 per year in the hand extra. Roughly €27 per week.
    Take an AP1 at iirc €8500 gross worked out gives €3017.50 in the hand or €58 per week.

Take a fool's advice, avoid that rat race like the plague. Take your time off and enjoy your family and not have some principal with you on the end of a string over the promise of a promotion. A principal who may retire, switch schools or move to ETB head office. You then get a new broom in and all bets are off and all your work and trainingis down the tubes. Either €27 or €58 per week for a principal to delegate 8 or 10 hours work per week to you.
    Do something else, SEC work will net as much or more in the hand for 3 weeks and the rest of your year free, drive for a contractor, you are an engineering teacher, do farm repairs and welding, fabrication, a job with a mechanic for the summer, get a rigid licence and relief drive. ANYTHING but that rat race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Grueller wrote: »
    I was a teacher in a past life. Those promotions are boll*xology.
    The AP11 is worth about €4k before tax. Take away 40% tax, 4.5% USC, 4% PRSI, 10% PRD, and 6 % pension contributions (there is a benefit to that so leave that out if you like). That is 64.5% you don't get in your hand. So that equals €1420 per year in the hand extra. Roughly €27 per week.
    Take an AP1 at iirc €8500 gross worked out gives €3017.50 in the hand or €58 per week.

Take a fool's advice, avoid that rat race like the plague. Take your time off and enjoy your family and not have some principal with you on the end of a string over the promise of a promotion. A principal who may retire, switch schools or move to ETB head office. You then get a new broom in and all bets are off and all your work and trainingis down the tubes. Either €27 or €58 per week for a principal to delegate 8 or 10 hours work per week to you.
    Do something else, SEC work will net as much or more in the hand for 3 weeks and the rest of your year free, drive for a contractor, you are an engineering teacher, do farm repairs and welding, fabrication, a job with a mechanic for the summer, get a rigid licence and relief drive. ANYTHING but that rat race.

I have an AP1 already. She is looking for a deputy soon. I’ve no interest in money anyway. If I made a million, twud be spent. I figured that when no 3 came along to not bother for a while at least. I’ve plenty of projects to keep me going ahead of timetabling.

Thanks for the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

I have an AP1 already. She is looking for a deputy soon. I’ve no interest in money anyway. If I made a million, twud be spent. I figured that when no 3 came along to not bother for a while at least. I’ve plenty of projects to keep me going ahead of timetabling.

Thanks for the advice.

I was at AP1 when I walked away as well.

Have any of ye seen a mist/fog appear a few feet off the ground in a field after fertiliser was spread. The reason that I ask is our neighbour topped a field a couple of weeks ago, spread fert late on Monday evening and about half an hour later a low lying heavy mist/fog covered the field that lasted about 10 mins. Now in fairness we had fog later on Monday night/Tuesday morning but at the time there was no fog in other fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Have any of ye seen a mist/fog appear a few feet off the ground in a field after fertiliser was spread. The reason that I ask is our neighbour topped a field a couple of weeks ago, spread fert late on Monday evening and about half an hour later a low lying heavy mist/fog covered the field that lasted about 10 mins. Now in fairness we had fog later on Monday night/Tuesday morning but at the time there was no fog in other fields.

Never seen that but rationally if fertilizer had anything to do with it. That fertilizer would have to be urea.

Mist forms by warm air being over cool land.
    So if it was urea dissolving on the soil maybe it might cool the ground slightly more than the other fields.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Daughter went back to football tonight. They had to fill in a form. Got their temperature taken, had to wash their hands for 20 seconds then sanitize them. Not allowed pick up the ball unless you're the goalkeeper. Good to be back

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    Daughter went back to football tonight. They had to fill in a form. Got their temperature taken, had to wash their hands for 20 seconds then sanitize them. Not allowed pick up the ball unless you're the goalkeeper. Good to be back

Time will tell no doubt.
    I was amused at the post on facebook saying that due to us all taking the precautions there was now room in ICU for those that think it's over

Can anyone tell me what the two stroke mix rate is for a McCulloch stimmer. I presume it's either 40 or 50:1. It's an older strimmer probably 10 year old. I got is recently as a gift from a relative along with a gallon of pre mixed petrol but I've used it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Can anyone tell me what the two stroke mix rate is for a McCulloch stimmer. I presume it's either 40 or 50:1. It's an older strimmer probably 10 year old. I got is recently as a gift from a relative along with a gallon of pre mixed petrol but I've used it up.

As soon as I purchase 5 litres Petrol - I add 10 ml of 2 stroke oil - just in case I put straight petrol into chainsaw, strimmer or pole saw.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Death and taxes...

I don't know about the fuel cards, but we all have to pay the same taxes.

Whats the benefit for the lads paying you 500euro in fuel vouchers? Surely if they paid you 500euro wages it would still be a farm expense for them.

I don't employ anyone, so I might be the wrong person to comment - but I wouldn't be a fan of lads coming looking for dodgy receipts or some other methods to avoid paying tax.

Honestly if it comes to having to be done and theyve a problem with it there welcome to the work themselves is the way im looking at it, its at unsociable hours on a weekend a backwards set up and no one lining up to take it on.
    What im getting at is that if i split my credits im paying more tax on the weekday gig and it doesnt make the milkings worthwhile if i dont split the credits.
    Eg 2hr milking €41/€54 for Sunday
    Higher rate of tax @40% = €16.20/€21.60
    So that gives us €24.80/€32.60 to play around with before PRSI and whatever else is deducted add in a half hours travel between here and there thats €9.92/€13.04/hr.

Better living everyone

As soon as I purchase 5 litres Petrol - I add 10 ml of 2 stroke oil - just in case I put straight petrol into chainsaw, strimmer or pole saw.
    That's a good idea. Is it a problem if I use 20ml or 25ml per litre as in, will it cause an issue with the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

That's a good idea. Is it a problem if I use 20ml or 25ml per litre as in, will it cause an issue with the engine.

It'll make the saw smokey, don't think it'll do it any harm though, A
    An ould fellow I used to work for used to put the oil and petrol separately into the tank and shake the saw. of course he'd use too much oil and poison anyone that'd be working around him

And of course he couldn't be told

wrangler wrote: »
    An ould fellow I used to work for used to put the oil and petrol separately into the tank and shake the saw. of course he'd use too much oil and poison anyone that'd be working around him

I will ere on the side of caution and go with 25ml/l or 50:1 and see how it goes. If it's smokey I add a bit more petrol to the gallon can.

wrangler wrote: »

That's the reason I purchased the Husqvarna Pole saw, I got headaches breathing in the fumes from the Tanaka hedge trimmer.

I think the Stihl 2 stroke oil is a low smoke oil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

I will ere on the side of caution and go with 25ml/l or 50:1 and see how it goes. If it's smokey I add a bit more petrol to the gallon can.

I run the chainsaw, hedge trimmer and strimmer at 50:1
    5l petrol with 100ml stihl oil in it.
    I keep it in a red can. Any straight petrol goes in the black can!

You mean 10 ml, the dispenser on the bottle is either 10 or 20 ml

• Advertisement

That's the reason I purchased the Husqvarna Pole saw, I got headaches breathing in the fumes from the Tanaka hedge trimmer.

I think the Stihl 2 stroke oil is a low smoke oil.
    My brother has a c.18 year old Tanaka hedge trimmer and it never gives off fumes. I borrow it every year to trim around a few of the fields where the electric fence runs close to the bank and the briars/whins grow out.

My brother has a c.18 year old Tanaka hedge trimmer and it never gives off fumes. I borrow it every year to trim around a few of the fields where the electric fence runs close to the bank and the briars/whins grow out.

I am prone to migraines, so the nose is more sensitive to fumes, air fresheners, perfumes etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Over time using excess oil in the 2 stroke mix will cause a carbon build-up in your engine.

I have a 20l clear plastic drum with PETROL written on the top in black marker for the ride on mower and the outboard motor. Unfortunately I haven't had any time to get the boat out so far this year :(

The Tanaka hedge trimmer is a richer mix of 33:1,

Owners Manual, THT210/240/262 models, Page 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

You mean 10 ml, the dispenser on the bottle is either 10 or 20 ml

No, 100ml. There's no dispenser on it . It's a litre of stihl oil.
    100ml in 5l is 50:1.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Interesting what nek said about carbon build up over time if you mix bit strong. bought a new sthil hedge trimmer 2years ago , dealer said to mix 4 litres petrol with 100 ml of 2 stroke oil. Weary now.

ruwithme wrote: »
    Interesting what nek said about carbon build up over time if you mix bit strong. bought a new sthil hedge trimmer 2years ago , dealer said to mix 4 litres petrol with 100 ml of 2 stroke oil. Weary now.
    I suppose it's the opposite of adding Dipetane into your diesel tank before heading for a NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Some small petrol engines have a small mesh on the exaust. Too much oil in the petrol can gum this up.

Lime Tree and those of us using petrol engines inside or in confined space should probably consider using Aspen 2 instead of petrol mix. It's a synthetic fuel that gives lower emissions. Less headaches after using it all day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭Rosahane

Some small petrol engines have a small mesh on the exaust. Too much oil in the petrol can gum this up.

Lime Tree and those of us using petrol engines inside or in confined space should probably consider using Aspen 2 instead of petrol mix. It's a synthetic fuel that gives lower emissions. Less headaches after using it all day.

I got it for the chainsaw which is seldom used and it ensures it starts easily even if it’s unused up for months. However, just looking at it last night and it’s a 50/1 mixture - the chainsaw is supposed to be run at 40/1.

Hasn’t caused a problem yet but I’m thinking I’ll put a dribble of extra oil In the nexT time I’m using it and then When finished top up the tank with the Aspen and run for a minute to get the aspen in the carb until it’s used again.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement