Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Some small petrol engines have a small mesh on the exaust. Too much oil in the petrol can gum this up.

Lime Tree and those of us using petrol engines inside or in confined space should probably consider using Aspen 2 instead of petrol mix. It's a synthetic fuel that gives lower emissions. Less headaches after using it all day.

These probably a big issue out there waiting to break regarding both environmental issues of these engines and the health effects on the immediate users.

Speaking to our supplier and the companies are concerned with massive research being done in battery powered equipment.

Personally I wouldn’t be using a 2 stroke engine in confined spaces too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

No, 100ml. There's no dispenser on it . It's a litre of stihl oil.
    100ml in 5l is 50:1.

I GOT IT WRONG

BASE PRICE AND GENGHIS - I AM HORRIBLY HORRIBLY SORRY

i just looked at the dispenser - at the line is marked 100 ml in 5 litres.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

ruwithme wrote: »
    Interesting what nek said about carbon build up over time if you mix bit strong. bought a new sthil hedge trimmer 2years ago , dealer said to mix 4 litres petrol with 100 ml of 2 stroke oil. Weary now.

I have a Oleomac strimmer, and the engine failed at about 7 years of age with a scored cylinder wall.
    Main dealer replaced the barrel and piston for me, and warned me about the oil/petrol mix ratio.
    Adding a "bit more for luck" was my mistake.
    Piece of carbon broke off and scored the cylinder.
    Wouldn't have believed it, only for who told me.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    I have a Oleomac strimmer, and the engine failed at about 7 years of age with a scored cylinder wall.
    Main dealer replaced the barrel and piston for me, and warned me about the oil/petrol mix ratio.
    Adding a "bit more for luck" was my mistake.
    Piece of carbon broke off and scored the cylinder.
    Wouldn't have believed it, only for who told me.

I bought an Oleomac strimmer nearly 2 year's ago and it started loosing power to the head and making a whining noise a few days ago. Seeing as I'm not at all mechanically minded I shut it off and brought it back to where I bought it. Seemingly there's a clutch gone on the shaft that runs from the engine to the cutting head and I left it there for further investigation. I'm somewhat disappointed tbh as the last Stihl strimmer I had belonged to the auld fella and lasted the best part of 30 years with very little maintenance or care.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

As soon as I purchase 5 litres Petrol - I add 10 ml of 2 stroke oil - just in case I put straight petrol into chainsaw, strimmer or pole saw.

I bought a small 1 litre mixing bottle in a hardware. cheap at about €7 or €8.

Add 1 litre of petrol to a mark and then there are 2 further marks to make 1/25 or 1/50. Only mixing 1 litre at a time so it doesn't go off so to speak.
    Only items here that use mixed petrol is the chainsaws and consaw.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I bought an Oleomac strimmer nearly 2 year's ago and it started loosing power to the head and making a whining noise a few days ago. Seeing as I'm not at all mechanically minded I shut it off and brought it back to where I bought it. Seemingly there's a clutch gone on the shaft that runs from the engine to the cutting head and I left it there for further investigation. I'm somewhat disappointed tbh as the last Stihl strimmer I had belonged to the auld fella and lasted the best part of 30 years with very little maintenance or care.

Have a Stihl strummer, dad bought about 17 years ago and still going strong.

Finally first cut of silage started. Crop light in places but I’ve about 40 bales left over from last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Finally first cut of silage started. Crop light in places but I’ve about 40 bales left over from last year.

There’s lots of time for a second cut if it’s needed

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

There was a school zoom meeting organised for 11.30 this morning. Grand, we would run in some cattle on outfarm and dose them and would be finished by then. Checked my phone at 10.55 and there was an email changing the class to 11am. :eek: will be very happy
    next Friday when school is over. Only half the class made the rescheduled meeting. Didnt need the stress of dropping the dosing gun and driving home.

There’s lots of time for a second cut if it’s needed

Ah yeah. I’ve a meadow that I get about 30-50 bales in a second cut.

I’ve cattle cut back so only need 180 bales. Had 40 left over from last year. Bales 56 today. And have another 60ish to do in first cut.

I didn’t bother with the paddocks around the house this year which normally yield another 40ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭straight

whelan2 wrote: »
    There was a school zoom meeting organised for 11.30 this morning. Grand, we would run in some cattle on outfarm and dose them and would be finished by then. Checked my phone at 10.55 and there was an email changing the class to 11am. :eek: will be very happy
    next Friday when school is over. Only half the class made the rescheduled meeting. Didnt need the stress of dropping the dosing gun and driving home.

Half thay zoom sh1t is a waste of time anyway. Teachers trying to justify their wage is alot of it

If we were given a bit of notice it would be grand. Anyway the countdown is on until it's over. No need to buy teacher presents this year. Will get one for myself instead .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

straight wrote: »
    Half thay zoom sh1t is a waste of time anyway. Teachers trying to justify their wage is alot of it

Our oldest 3 had a good few online classes since the schools closed. The youngest lad didn't even get an email half the time, never mind Zoom calls.

We had to get a neighbour to forward on his homework:rolleyes:

I can imagine how much was corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Our oldest 3 had a good few online classes since the schools closed. The youngest lad didn't even get an email half the time, never mind Zoom calls.

We had to get a neighbour to forward on his homework:rolleyes:

I can imagine how much was corrected.

Storeman where im working is a primary teacher and all he has to do is send out a few emails each evening at the minute and any wotk setting up excercises is usually done while hes at tbe counter during the day not a bad place to be getting two fulltime wages and not being busted.

Better living everyone

Daughter works in local shop. She was telling us this evening of a local farmer who is nearly 90. He was cocooning and shopkeeper would drop newspaper and whatever he wanted up to him daily. His wife would only allow him 20 cigarettes a week. He would ring the shop and tell my daughter to get the shopkeeper to hide cigarettes in the newspapers every second day. :D Daughter said he was back himself to the shop today. He was talking to different people for over an hour catching up.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:
    Daughter works in local shop. She was telling us this evening of a local farmer who is nearly 90. He was cocooning and shopkeeper would drop newspaper and whatever he wanted up to him daily. His wife would only allow him 20 cigarettes a week. He would ring the shop and tell my daughter to get the shopkeeper to hide cigarettes in the newspapers every second day. Daughter said he was back himself to the shop today. He was talking to different people for over an hour catching up.

Old people here went to the shop recently. Found it very unsettling tbh. Only local shop not supermarket. Although shop is always busy. Just the queue outside and a couple of people with masks. Just something they never seen before.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Sad to see the older people wearing masks out and about. It's terrifying for them. If they catch it, there's a good chance it will kill them.
    Kinda funny at the same time, to see them doing things like cutting the lawn, with them on.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Sad to see the older people wearing masks out and about. It's terrifying for them. If they catch it, there's a good chance it will kill them.
    Kinda funny at the same time, to see them doing things like cutting the lawn, with them on.

Neighbour here went to the local for the dinner and he said its just not the same usually thered be a bitta craic or chat now everyones social distancing and keeping to themselves.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement

My mother won’t go shopping. She will pop in for a newspaper but if the shop is empty. Her chest is bad and she is very worried.

Sister in law is a transplant recipient and is near housebound fearing for her life. Be a long time before she is comfortable moving about much.

Neighbour here went to the local for the dinner and he said its just not the same usually thered be a bitta craic or chat now everyones social distancing and keeping to themselves.

You can't sit in anywhere for food yet

Seen a local doing a reseed.

Field was sprayed off and then given a serious discing.
    Have to say it produced a lovely looking seed bed. Problem round here is stones brought up ploughing.

I’ll be watching closely to see how it goes, haven’t seen this done before.

If a paddock was grazed very tight could you disc it the same way ??

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »

Have to say it produced a lovely looking seed bed. Problem round here is stones brought up ploughing.

That's the way we do it around here due to the stones. The more runs of a disc the better before the powerharrow but most lads wont pay for enough runs and that can cause the issues

You would have to spray it off as the disc would take it up in lumps as the grass will knot together as it's still alive. You could stitch grass in either if you wanted a short term quick fix

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

_Brian wrote: »

My contractor gives the field a light run of the power Harrow first. Just enough to tear out the grass. In with a 10ft Simba disc harrow and another run of the power Harrow if its very lumpy. Fert, lime, roll and sow seed with an air seeder on 6m grass harrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

My contractor gives the field a light run of the power Harrow first. Just enough to tear out the grass. In with a 10ft Simba disc harrow and another run of the power Harrow if its very lumpy. Fert, lime, roll and sow seed with an air seeder on 6m grass harrow.

Biggest issue with the trailed disc harrow is getting it into the ground

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Reggie. wrote: »
    Biggest issue with the trailed disc harrow is getting it into the ground

No fear with this bad boy. Had it here in the spring to do a headland that couldn't be ploughed as it was alive with Ash roots. Made mulch of them.

whelan2 wrote: »
    You can't sit in anywhere for food yet

Takeaway only but theres a place to sit outside now.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Takeaway only but theres a place to sit outside now.

If only. Went to the main dealer for the annual NCT at 1 pm, told to call back at 3pm. Feeling peckish, decided to go for a meal to pass the time, the place would only serve takeaways. I wasn't going back to the garage waiting room with it, sat on a window ledge at the side of the street, choked it down fairly fast.

• Advertisement

If only. Went to the main dealer for the annual NCT at 1 pm, told to call back at 3pm. Feeling peckish, decided to go for a meal to pass the time, the place would only serve takeaways. I wasn't going back to the garage waiting room with it, sat on a window ledge at the side of the street, choked it down fairly fast.

Apparently its all above board and has permission granted to use it his arguement was his income is completely gone due to tbe pandemic and was recieving no supports from the state abd he has to live too. Reckon he was never as busy for food as he was this year as farmers arent bringing the silage crews in for grub anymore so there all sent up there instead.

Better living everyone

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement