Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

No fear with this bad boy. Had it here in the spring to do a headland that couldn't be ploughed as it was alive with Ash roots. Made mulch of them.

Does it work the same magic on stones.😀

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Hairdressers booked for Monday 29th. Thank fook. Only short of having a ponytail at this stage. Hair last cut last October.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Hairdressers booked for Monday 29th. Thank fook. Only short of having a ponytail at this stage. Hair last cut last October.

Is she getting the hedgecutter ready

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

Sad to see the older people wearing masks out and about. It's terrifying for them. If they catch it, there's a good chance it will kill them.
    Kinda funny at the same time, to see them doing things like cutting the lawn, with them on.

Passed a car near home this afternoon, a gold mini with two older women in it, dressed to the 9s with floral printed masks on. I had a great laugh they looked like they were off to rob a bank.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Poor woman.
    Imagine being stupid enough to try give water in to pigs on a Moving truck.

This was bound to happen and no doubt the poor truck driver will be getting a hard time over this.

https://www.insidehalton.com/news-story/10037086--in-tears-protester-dead-in-burlington-after-being-struck-by-transport-truck-at-pig-slaughterhouse/

Took some time to walk through the apple trees earlier.

They were a risk from the start as were exposed and 650ft above sea level. Lots of blooms most years but late frosts each year nips the blossoms and little to no fruit. 10 7 year old trees and I can only see one apple, last year we got maybe 12 apples and year before nothing. Have 2 cherry trees and about 12 cherries between them.
    They were selected by seed savers as traditional old Irish varieties but I feel our site just isn’t suitable.

At this stage I feel like pulling them out !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

_Brian wrote: »

They were a risk from the start as were exposed and 650ft above sea level. Lots of blooms most years but late frosts each year nips the blossoms and little to no fruit. 10 7 year old trees and I can only see one apple, last year we got maybe 12 apples and year before nothing. Have 2 cherry trees and about 12 cherries between them.
    They were selected by seed savers as traditional old Irish varieties but I feel our site just isn’t suitable.

Would a shelter belt around the boundary help, elaeagnus stays green the whole year round, leaves from ground to tip, maximum height and spread about 10 feet. Great for windbreak.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Are you pruning them every year or do the native varieties not need pruning.

Base price wrote: »
    Are you pruning them every year or do the native varieties not need pruning.

Small bit of pruning but not heavy.
    Two got damaged by wind and likely need replacing.

I might abandon native varieties and just seek out very late blooming varieties that might work here.

Interesting I stakes the apple trees, amd was advised not to stake the cherry trees. Not staking works better. The trunk grows stronger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Small bit of pruning but not heavy.
    Two got damaged by wind and likely need replacing.

I might abandon native varieties and just seek out very late blooming varieties that might work here.

Interesting I stakes the apple trees, amd was advised not to stake the cherry trees. Not staking works better. The trunk grows stronger.
    I've a few apple trees that are badly neglected but I used to prune them back by a third every year. The fruit grows on the new branches.
    Here is a good video on why and how to prune.
    https://www.thegardenshop.ie/rejuvenative-pruning-an-old-apple-tree/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Anyone able to reccomend aby good tough seat covers? Dont mind spending a few bob extra for a good set TIA

Better living everyone

Would a shelter belt around the boundary help, elaeagnus stays green the whole year round, leaves from ground to tip, maximum height and spread about 10 feet. Great for windbreak.

Ahh
    Where the trees are faces west srr t right down the valley.
    It was always going to be a testy site. Shelter belt would need to be 30ft to shelter them where they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

"Standard-size trees will bear in 5 to 8 years". Google came up with that, and that is what my dad used to say so cant be wrong!

Hang in there for another few years and go with pruning 1/3 like Base said.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I was working in the mart during the week and witnessed a colleague taking a full force kick to the stones from a weanling. It brought him to his knees almost instantly and he disappeared out to the car for an hour to recover. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any lasting damage and everything is back in working order or so I'm informed. I've gotten some right belters of kicks down through the years but thankfully never in the balls. I hate to see anyone getting a belt but this was pretty funny to watch, has anyone else had similar misfortune?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

I was working in the mart during the week and witnessed a colleague taking a full force kick to the stones from a weanling. It brought him to his knees almost instantly and he disappeared out to the car for an hour to recover. Thankfully there doesn't seem to be any lasting damage and everything is back in working order or so I'm informed. I've gotten some right belters of kicks down through the years but thankfully never in the balls. I hate to see anyone getting a belt but this was pretty funny to watch, has anyone else had similar misfortune?

Used to get the odd shot of a cluster into the stones when i was milking in a spot with ACRs and got a right kick off a heifer in the collecting yard last september i had to lie off on the gate for a bit afterwards i definitly kept my distabce running the springers through the shed from then on.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Used to get the odd shot of a cluster into the stones when i was milking in a spot with ACRs and got a right kick off a heifer in the collecting yard last september i had to lie off on the gate for a bit afterwards i definitly kept my distabce running the springers through the shed from then on.

A 'lifetime of injuries' is what I refer to it now, I never wore steel toe caps and my toes are a mess now from not going to A and E to get them set properly if crushed or broken.
    Doctors don't pass much remarks but a doctor in a dublin hospital gave me a right rollicking once over them .......wouldn't mind but I wasn't in for anything to do with feet

Happy fathers day to all the Daddies

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

wrangler wrote: »
    A 'lifetime of injuries' is what I refer to it now, I never wore steel toe caps and my toes are a mess now from not going to A and E to get them set properly if crushed or broken.
    Doctors don't pass much remarks but a doctor in a dublin hospital gave me a right rollicking once over them .......wouldn't mind but I wasn't in for anything to do with feet

You could build up an inventory of different mishaps where either stock are machinery are involved. Having said the only broken bone I've experienced so far involved neither but I've had plenty of knocks, cuts and bruises while farming.

During the snow in the winter of 2009/10 I had some horses out wintered and had to break the ice off a pond every day to allow them them to drink. This particular morning I was walking down to the pond, slipped on the ice and nailed the back of my head on the frozen ground. The pain was savage and my eyesight was blurry for a few minutes. Once I'd composed myself enough to get up I went about my business but with a serious headache. I had a small cut on the back of my head but no other visible damage. As the evening wore on I felt worse, my head was bursting and I felt as sick as a pig. Looking back I must have had a concussion but I hate going to the doctor nevermind hospital so I waited it out although looking back that wasn't probably the best idea.

Finally liverpool back playing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    Happy fathers day to all the Daddies

Had a pleasant surprise here y/day, eldest daughter arrived in unannounced to everyone. She had been very busy for a couple of months after Christmas and then couldn't travel because of the lockdown. She really livens up the place when she's around.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭marathon

Anyone on here know do scrap metal yards send out skips and how much would they be? Have old galvanised sheets scrap iron etc to get rid of?

orm0nd wrote: »
    Had a pleasant surprise here y/day, eldest daughter arrived in unannounced to everyone. She had been very busy for a couple of months after Christmas and then couldn't travel because of the lockdown. She really livens up the place when she's around.

Got my dad 2 scratch cards and other stuff and he won 20 euro. Got my sister some scratch cards for her birthday and she won 55 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

marathon wrote: »
    Anyone on here know do scrap metal yards send out skips and how much would they be? Have old galvanised sheets scrap iron etc to get rid of?

Where are you based, those yards BUY the scrap steel ,
    The last time I got rid of steel, one yard was giving €120/ton and another was giving €60/ton, so you shouldn't have to pay for a skip if you had much of it.
    I don't know what scrap steel is worth at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,416 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Brian, really depends on where you are in the country. Here in the SW wouldn't get horse chestnut over 550 ft. Japanese larch dies at that height here and will grow at 1,100 ft over in Wicklow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

orm0nd wrote: »

Took the most of today off myself- normally when oh isn’t working, I’m rushing to catch up on work. Yesterday, I asked my brother to give a hand disbudding the Last few calves. Sister Called to help Move cattle too. Awful handy when you’ve help. The brother even wanted to test out the new lawnmower so he cut the lawn.

The lads had pancakes made, herself made cottage pie. We watched a movie while it rained and the two oldest and I went for a walk after. Nice relaxing day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Took the most of today off myself- normally when oh isn’t working, I’m rushing to catch up on work. Yesterday, I asked my brother to give a hand disbudding the Last few calves. Sister Called to help Move cattle too. Awful handy when you’ve help. The brother even wanted to test out the new lawnmower so he cut the lawn.

The lads had pancakes made, herself made cottage pie. We watched a movie while it rained and the two oldest and I went for a walk after. Nice relaxing day.

A day like that is a tonic. I do a bit of cycling and 4 of us including dad got out for a nice 40k this morning. Went for a nice walk with my son after that and a bbq with parents and sister. Lovely day

• Registered Users Posts: 21,416 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I know this year's Fathers Day happened on the longest day of the year, but for years I have had the notion that the longest day of the year or the Sunday closest to it, should be a, chill out day. Never put it into practice but happened largely this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

marathon wrote: »

Perhaps Hammond Lane if you are anywhere near the Midlands, make sure you have enough to fill it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

.bg

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement