Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

TheFarrier wrote: »
    About a month ago I went into a stable to help a client of mine catch a yearling for shoeing. She was ducking around him on his own so I stepped in to help corner her and she dodged him leaving me looking right at the top of her tail.
    No swish of the tail no nothing only let fly with the hind one and nailed me as sweet as a nut into the balls.
    By some miracle I reckon she only gave a warning shot as there wasn’t much force behind the kick but then again not much force is required when the aim is as good as she had.
    Went a bit green in the face according to the other lad, at least that’s what I think he said as he was laughing so hard I couldn’t quite hear him. The prick.
    Had a good few minutes questioning my career choices that day.

If I have help or doing someone else's tie a rope to nearest hind leg and get it forward of vertical. Second person holds the rope tight.

The putting on of this is tricky and should be done at distance with a stick or pole.
    For small animals try and get them side by side if room or partly so.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,025 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Why would you put in mats in the 1st place?

Straw is becoming hard got locally and in years of shortage it’s very expensive
    Want something for autumn born calves, pallets are a disaster, calf slats are awkward
    Thought mats could be an option

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Anyone doing this Soil Health & Regenerative Agriculture for Livestock Farms course?

I cant find the right link, but the link below seems similar
    https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/online-soil-health-regenerative-agriculture-for-grazers-part-1intro-tickets-104751612894

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Straw is becoming hard got locally and in years of shortage it’s very expensive
    Want something for autumn born calves, pallets are a disaster, calf slats are awkward
    Thought mats could be an option
    Calves need to be able to nest in straw in order to maintain their body temperature. The other problem with mats is you will not be able to keep them dry and clean enough to prevent infections like joint ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Base price wrote: »
    Calves need to be able to nest in straw in order to maintain their body temperature. The other problem with mats is you will not be able to keep them dry and clean enough to prevent infections like joint ill.

Would shavings make them more comfortable?

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    Would shavings make them more comfortable?
    Shaving work but they are expensive if your buying individual bales. I think our local agri store charges around €9 per bale.

I was on a dairy farm a while back looking at calves that were in loose pens. I asked the farmer if the bedding was chopped straw mixed with shaving but he said he got screenings/chaff from a local mill for free. He had to take it away as soon as there was a load. It was the best of bedding and the calves were dry and comfortable.

Thanks, great info as always

• Registered Users Posts: 21,416 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Anyone doing this Soil Health & Regenerative Agriculture for Livestock Farms course?

I cant find the right link, but the link below seems similar
    https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/online-soil-health-regenerative-agriculture-for-grazers-part-1intro-tickets-104751612894

This is Part 2 of the same course run by NOTS for half the price, €25:
    https://nots.ie/courses/soil-health-regenag-for-livestock-farms-part-2-july-14/

I presume they will run Part 1 again. I'll be watching out for it myself, thanks for the heads up.

Water John wrote: »
    This is Part 2 of the same course run by NOTS for half the price, €25:
    https://nots.ie/courses/soil-health-regenag-for-livestock-farms-part-2-july-14/

I presume they will run Part 1 again. I'll be watching out for it myself, thanks for the heads up.

Looks very interesting
    If you see part 1 coming on can you give a heads up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just a heads up, folks, I've deleted a few posts on threads from way, way back so sorry about that.

I believe the hamsters have been fed again so normal service should resume:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

Bonfire night tonight. Anyone having a fire? Raining here but we’ll light it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Would anyone like a broody hen? Or know of someone who wants one etc. Have only the one here now & think we'll leave them be for a bit instead of getting more. She's only gone broody today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

mayota wrote: »
    Bonfire night tonight. Anyone having a fire? Raining here but we’ll light it anyway.

Had a bit of a fire on Sunday, nothing big... just some thing for the craic...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

Came across this. Timely reminder

How to install and maintain a shaft cover on a tractor PTO.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBoINyG7USU

Skip forward to 40 seconds.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'm no good at linking anything but did anyone see the agey bullocks on the Central Auctions in Nenaghs Facebook page?. They averaged 1200kg odd at a bit with €2000 each, all 2011-12 born. I know a few lads that would be fond of keeping beef stock until 3 or 4 year's old but that's definitely out of the ordinary.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I'm no good at linking anything but did anyone see the agey bullocks on the Central Auctions in Nenaghs Facebook page?. They averaged 1200kg odd at a bit with €2000 each, all 2011-12 born. I know a few lads that would be fond of keeping beef stock until 3 or 4 year's old but that's definitely out of the ordinary.

These bucks? They had a bloody handy life, earning the brown envelope.

https://twitter.com/ajwwoods/status/1274316470227476483

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

They weren't brought to the sales in the oul carina and 2 cow trailer

These bucks? They had a bloody handy life, earning the brown envelope.

https://twitter.com/ajwwoods/status/1274316470227476483

That's the ones, I'd imagine your correct in that they earned the payments and kept the grass down. I often come across a few real backward FRX bull weanlings/bullocks at very small money they'd definitely be a long-term investment. Having said that if you could sell 5 cattle and lift €10,000 it's a fair lump sum with little initial investment.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭visatorro

mayota wrote:

What's the story with bonfires? Is it not just Halloween

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

visatorro wrote: »

Down the West its a celebration of the longest day - dates back to pre-Christian times and is linked to the Druids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭mayota

visatorro wrote: »

23rd June here. No Halloween bonfires. Can see about 20 around the area this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Australians are known for plain direct speaking.
    This interview by former Deputy Prime Minister of Australia John Anderson with Dr Terry McCusker about the carbon and water cycles and carbon policies is very interesting.
    There's infiltration tests at the end on the property.

https://youtu.be/4UWS9T9X3RY

My older Rottie was put down today, I'm still tearing up when I think about her. She was 14 and has been off form for the past 2 to 3 weeks. She was a great guard dog, protector and ratter/mouser.

We've have had a bad run with our dogs lately. OH's 13 year old Llewellin was knocked down by a visitor to the yard two weeks ago and also had to be put down.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,500 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

My older Rottie was put down today, I'm still tearing up when I think about her. She was 14 and has been off form for the past 2 to 3 weeks. She was a great guard dog, protector and ratter/mouser.

We've have had a bad run with our dogs lately. OH's 13 year old Llewellin was knocked down by a visitor to the yard two weeks ago and also had to be put down.

Ah feck.

Sorry for your loss Base.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Ah no!

Sorry to hear that, Base:(

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ah no, do you have any other dogs?

Sorry to hear that Base, it's always a big blow. Our 2 Labradors have gotten very elderly looking of late but there still healthy and loving life. The better half loves all thing's dog related and there like children to her so it's very sad day when anything happens them.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ah no, do you have any other dogs?
    Just the younger 6yo Rottie.

Pic was taken in April with the older one lying on the step and the younger one in the foreground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

mayota wrote: »

Yup. Had a nice one here. Steam coming off me with the rain and heat. Last one we had the small one was a day old. Her 13th birthday yesterday.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement