Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Cavan County Council are nothing if not optimists..

29ElKpg.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

I'm no good at linking anything but did anyone see the agey bullocks on the Central Auctions in Nenaghs Facebook page?. They averaged 1200kg odd at a bit with €2000 each, all 2011-12 born. I know a few lads that would be fond of keeping beef stock until 3 or 4 year's old but that's definitely out of the ordinary.

Tis like the boys at the local mart would only buy BBs and feed them up. At the far stock sale last year a bullock 910kgs the boss man asked one of the lads what he think of that lad, the answer he got was he’d need another year at least :):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Base price wrote: »
    My older Rottie was put down today, I'm still tearing up when I think about her. She was 14 and has been off form for the past 2 to 3 weeks. She was a great guard dog, protector and ratter/mouser.

We've have had a bad run with our dogs lately. OH's 13 year old Llewellin was knocked down by a visitor to the yard two weeks ago and also had to be put down.

Balls sorry to hear that. My dog is 12 and in the last few months we have noticed her getting a bit old. Always was a puppy at heart but slowing down. Plenty of miles on the clock yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Here is a nice article for those who love their dogs. Dogs being trained to detect Covid 19 positive people.
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/jun/21/winning-by-a-nose-the-dogs-being-trained-to-detect-signs-of-covid-19

Hyper active dogs seem most suited.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

That's the ones, I'd imagine your correct in that they earned the payments and kept the grass down. I often come across a few real backward FRX bull weanlings/bullocks at very small money they'd definitely be a long-term investment. Having said that if you could sell 5 cattle and lift €10,000 it's a fair lump sum with little initial investment.

Didn't read the article but think they were sold in Roscrea last Friday. Have seen similar stock there on occasion so it could be just one man's way of working

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Base price wrote: »
    My older Rottie was put down today, I'm still tearing up when I think about her. She was 14 and has been off form for the past 2 to 3 weeks. She was a great guard dog, protector and ratter/mouser.

We've have had a bad run with our dogs lately. OH's 13 year old Llewellin was knocked down by a visitor to the yard two weeks ago and also had to be put down.

That is a tough time.
    Very hard especially when they go early.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

*cough cough* Brian.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Odelay wrote: »
    *cough cough* Brian.

:pac::D

I'm wondering wtf went on at our outfarm last night. We've a right of way through land, which has 3 cows on it at the moment with one overdue & a Moocall on her.
    Arrived in to our bit of a yard this morning to see a calving jack, ropes etc thrown in it, tapes up along it in order to get the cow in &........the cow still has the Moocall on & hasn't calved :confused:

Odelay wrote: »
    *cough cough* Brian.

?

I’m from cavan, subtilties are lost on me !

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

_Brian wrote: »
    ?

Predictive text issue for you in an earlier post.

Just above Odelay.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    ?

Check your last post, autocorrect has failed you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Jb1989

:pac::D

I'm wondering wtf went on at our outfarm last night. We've a right of way through land, which has 3 cows on it at the moment with one overdue & a Moocall on her.
    Arrived in to our bit of a yard this morning to see a calving jack, ropes etc thrown in it, tapes up along it in order to get the cow in &........the cow still has the Moocall on & hasn't calved :confused:

Just left out ready for when she does calve? Or a false text message? Nothing exciting I imagine

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Just left out ready for when she does calve? Or a false text message? Nothing exciting I imagine

It's just that they even haltered her in our crush which has no headlock gate, she wasn't calving and in no rush to do it today either so why halter her? Jack probably left there after bringing it in last night I guess.
    I don't mind them using it at all but am curious :D

Check your last post, autocorrect has failed you!

Posting without glasses 🤓

Seems the text on the screens is getting smaller and smaller

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

orm0nd wrote: »
    Didn't read the article but think they were sold in Roscrea last Friday. Have seen similar stock there on occasion so it could be just one man's way of working

Different strokes I suppose, some lads have no fear of holding onto stock. As a Luke Kelly lookalike auctioneer once said about a man refusing to sell a bunch of horses at small money one day, "This man tells me he's stuck for neither money or grass".

I carried a cow to the mart the last night and she would be considered a fairly young cull from that seller at 15 year's old. The same man had a cow 21 year's old not that long ago and would regularly calve them down annually until 17-18 year's. Another local character had a CH bull in it that was 14 year's old and would have sired probably 70-80 calves annually since he was bought at a 3 year old.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

It's just that they even haltered her in our crush which has no headlock gate, she wasn't calving and in no rush to do it today either so why halter her? Jack probably left there after bringing it in last night I guess.
    I don't mind them using it at all but am curious :D

You definitely have curious neighbours

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Work on a site at the moment. A government job, and all day works. One of the carpenters was blowing this morning that he had €1750 take home for the week. That includes the €350 covid payment. The decker is still drawing it while working. I'd never mention rates and pay on sites, but this lad has no problem tell us.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That's the ones, I'd imagine your correct in that they earned the payments and kept the grass down. I often come across a few real backward FRX bull weanlings/bullocks at very small money they'd definitely be a long-term investment. Having said that if you could sell 5 cattle and lift €10,000 it's a fair lump sum with little initial investment.

You would be surprised how fast some of those friesian's come. I am noticing more and more FR capable of putting on flesh cover at 300-330kgs DW. Bought some last year that were about 270 kgs just squeezed in July for 450 euro landed in the yard. Hope to.kill some off grass that will average above 1100 euro and I will finish the rest out of the shed before Christmas, I be hoping they be hitting 370-400 DW.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Work on a site at the moment. A government job, and all day works. One of the carpenters was blowing this morning that he had €1750 take home for the week. That includes the €350 covid payment. The decker is still drawing it while working. I'd never mention rates and pay on sites, but this lad has no problem tell us.

Yea and it’s me and u paying for it through our taxes.
    Surely revenue will be able to see when people were claiming it and working at the same time.

They should start advertising that revenue will be auditing it even if they are not to stem this behaviour

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Tileman wrote: »
    Yea and it’s me and u paying for it through our taxes.
    Surely revenue will be able to see when people were claiming it and working at the same time.

They should start advertising that revenue will be auditing it even if they are not to stem this behaviour

I wish they would. As you said it is you an me paying for a tramp like him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

You'd want to be careful there's not a bit of winding up going on.
    Wind up the new guy on the government job with porkies and see how he reacts as such.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Heard the same ****e off lads in Sydney, one useless f#ckless ****er from Kerry mouthing off about getting $60/PTY/ABN (Australia Being Nice scheme/no tax) while the auld boys with a skill would have been getting maybe around the $40 mark through the book, i was getting $27 on the books. He didnt last long afterwards he thought he was the bees knees mouthing off on site and the boss used to play him for a fool praise him up tell him hes a great lad so hed be on call at all hours for him, he forgot a pat on the back is only 6 inches from a kick in the arse in the end. Furthest thing from a cute Kerry hoor i ever met.

Better living everyone

Heard the same ****e off lads in Sydney, one useless f#ckless ****er from Kerry mouthing off about getting $60/PTY/ABN (Australia Being Nice scheme/no tax) while the auld boys with a skill would have been getting maybe around the $40 mark through the book, i was getting $27 on the books. He didnt last long afterwards he thought he was the bees knees mouthing off on site and the boss used to play him for a fool praise him up tell him hes a great lad so hed be on call at all hours for him, he forgot a pat on the back is only 6 inches from a kick in the arse in the end. Furthest thing from a cute Kerry hoor i ever met.

"6 inches from a kick in the hole" 😂 I must remember that one. Most people nowadays have no sense of humor or time to talk and the characters are dying out. I was dosing lambs for a real character a few weeks back and I used to have to take a break with the laughing every few minutes. Half of the thing's he told me never took place at all but I'd never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

You would be surprised how fast some of those friesian's come. I am noticing more and more FR capable of putting on flesh cover at 300-330kgs DW. Bought some last year that were about 270 kgs just squeezed in July for 450 euro landed in the yard. Hope to.kill some off grass that will average above 1100 euro and I will finish the rest out of the shed before Christmas, I be hoping they be hitting 370-400 DW.

I'd have nearly zero experience of finishing stock tbh, almost everything locally is sold as either a weanling or store. That's some turnaround inside 18 months although you're working with different land to us. Still I'm interested in trying something different to suckler's for a myriad of reasons.

"6 inches from a kick in the hole" 😂 I must remember that one. Most people nowadays have no sense of humor or time to talk and the characters are dying out. I was dosing lambs for a real character a few weeks back and I used to have to take a break with the laughing every few minutes. Half of the thing's he told me never took place at all but I'd never let the truth get in the way of a good yarn.

Ive met them auld boys out there too, great craic and youd miss them on other jobs. One lad in his 60s walking past a concrete pour with a bucket of concrete for pathing, "long may it last were all on tbe big bucks with the big pour today boys"

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

A local man used to work for a farmer who was a relation of his. When after a while toiling at whatever job, the labourer would start telling a yarn. The farmer would sit down to listen to the story. As long as the labourer kept talking and putting legs on the story, he was also, not working.

Water John wrote: »
    A local man used to work for a farmer who was a relation of his. When after a while toiling at whatever job, the labourer would start telling a yarn. The farmer would sit down to listen to the story. As long as the labourer kept talking and putting legs on the story, he was also, not working.

Government job again absolutely nothing going on so this crew sat down as they nay as well be sitting as standing looking at each other, the superintendent lands on roaring like a bull asking why theres nothing being done etc the same old boy pipes up 'and you know what sir? Weve 14 more stations to build after this one". He got banned from that zone after that remark but he was an unsackable man

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 10,774 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I have a relative like that. You couln't believe his radio, half the time. I remember once he telling us how he had met a well known Clare hurler and all his front teeth had being knocked out after a rough match with Waterford.

The following week we met him again and he was on about how you couldn't believe anyone. He had met the same hurler the bight before and his teeth were fine. It met with roars of laughter when we reminded him how he had told us last week that he had seen his broken teeth. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Ive met them auld boys out there too, great craic and youd miss them on other jobs. One lad in his 60s walking past a concrete pour with a bucket of concrete for pathing, "long may it last were all on tbe big bucks with the big pour today boys"

I find it's a very long day if you can't have something to laugh at. Some lads the most exciting thing that ever happened to them was there funeral and they missed that. You have to create your own entertainment a lot of the time and it's amazing what craic can be knocked out of little things.

A neighbor of mine recently gave a home to two young cats with the intention of using them for chemical free rodent control. The felines are more interested in becoming house cats and take every opportunity to gain access to the house. Therefore the door has to be kept closed at all times and entering or exiting the abode has to be done quickly. We were sitting at the table having a chat this evening and my neighbor was sitting with his back to the door which one of us had left open after coming in.

The talk went quiet after a few minutes and I just happened to mention the back door being opened and our man jumped up to close it. Sure enough he looked outside and only saw one cat, I enquired as to whether the other one would have ran up stairs which is just inside the door. Our man tore up the stairs and I could hear him pulling furniture around, slamming doors and roaring at the cat to come out to f@ck. After a few minutes he landed down in search of a flashlight to get a better view under the bed. I lost it laughing at this stage which gave the game away and he finally saw the missing cat sunning himself on the window sill which he had his back to when sitting at the table. I must have laughed for a good 5 minutes and him trying to think of an excuse to tell the wife when she came back from shopping as to why the upstairs was torn asunder.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I find it's a very long day if you can't have something to laugh at. Some lads the most exciting thing that ever happened to them was there funeral and they missed that. You have to create your own entertainment a lot of the time and it's amazing what craic can be knocked out of little things.

A neighbor of mine recently gave a home to two young cats with the intention of using them for chemical free rodent control. The felines are more interested in becoming house cats and take every opportunity to gain access to the house. Therefore the door has to be kept closed at all times and entering or exiting the abode has to be done quickly. We were sitting at the table having a chat this evening and my neighbor was sitting with his back to the door which one of us had left open after coming in.

The talk went quiet after a few minutes and I just happened to mention the back door being opened and our man jumped up to close it. Sure enough he looked outside and only saw one cat, I enquired as to whether the other one would have ran up stairs which is just inside the door. Our man tore up the stairs and I could hear him pulling furniture around, slamming doors and roaring at the cat to come out to f@ck. After a few minutes he landed down in search of a flashlight to get a better view under the bed. I lost it laughing at this stage which gave the game away and he finally saw the missing cat sunning himself on the window sill which he had his back to when sitting at the table. I must have laughed for a good 5 minutes and him trying to think of an excuse to tell the wife when she came back from shopping as to why the upstairs was torn asunder.
    You tell great entertaining stories. You should write them down and get them published.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement