Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,554 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Put two bales on a double handler together drop em off drop another on top stick another on the loader back into the 3 and thats 4 in one go if the tractor can handle it

You would want a good tractor to handle three bales not to mind four. My own will just about bring in two at the time.....however considering bale size I reckon I bringing in as much silage as O did bringing in three 5 year's ago.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yesterday we got a beautiful pony. Lots of excitement.

https://ibb.co/KLnv2Tj

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

You would want a good tractor to handle three bales not to mind four. My own will just about bring in two at the time.....however considering bale size I reckon I bringing in as much silage as O did bringing in three 5 year's ago.

Oh yea 100% agree with you that its not for every tractor. Most i ever brought on a tractor feeding out was two on the back two on the front maybe a big square of straw on the back too, bear in mind tgis was on MF6612 so shed be able for it.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

_Brian wrote: »
    Yesterday we got a beautiful pony. Lots of excitement.

https://ibb.co/KLnv2Tj

Oh yeah. Big fan here. :) Fine glossy coat and no shortage of bone there.

Fine straight back and a good back end. And no, for ye with poor minds, I'm talking about the pony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

are the Liverpool fans popping the champagne yet?

:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

Thunder and lightning here. Electricity is out. I'll get to give the new genny a go milking in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

:)

Bottle no. 19?

Danzy wrote: »
    Bottle no. 19?

I'm well on my way there:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I'm well on my way there:D
    On a school night ....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭giveitholly

Whelan2,must of been a great night in your house,hope you enjoyed it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Whelan2,must of been a great night in your house,hope you enjoyed it

Yup. Great excitement. A great memory to have. Wasnt expecting them to win it last night tbh.

See another fatality on a farm in cork last night.

No details only man in his 60’s

Busy times everywhere folks.
    Do take that extra moment to be careful.

Always ask yourself, what could go wrong here and how can I lessen the risk. It’s a habit you have to build, I learned it in industry but it’s a good perspective to have.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Always ask yourself, what could go wrong here and how can I lessen the risk. It’s a habit you have to build, I learned it in industry but it’s a good perspective to have.

I was fairly complacent with safety glasses nearly all the time until a lad asked me to put a monetary value on one of my eyes, i said i couldnt. He said exactly you cant go out and buy anotheer eye, throw on tbe glasses and leave em on.

Just all about getting in the right mindset for H&S

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

I was fairly complacent with safety glasses nearly all the time until a lad asked me to put a monetary value on one of my eyes, i said i couldnt. He said exactly you cant go out and buy anotheer eye, throw on tbe glasses and leave em on.

Just all about getting in the right mindset for H&S

It's mandatory to wear safety glasses and gloves on the site I'm working on, even if you are not doing any physical work. It's a habit to get into.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Knocked a third of the 2nd cut yesterday afternoon. Baling this afternoon. A smash and grab affair.

All in dry yesterday afternoon, 67 bales. Rain starting here now. I'm at work but my dad is spread fertiliser.
    Baler back in again in 10 to 12 days I'd say

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

How many is that this year? I think it was a tractor this time. One in Longford last month as well, I think a plough came down on him. Looks like this year is going to be a bad one for farm accidents. Take care out there, don't take chances.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

blue5000 wrote: »
    How many is that this year? I think it was a tractor this time. One in Longford last month as well, I think a plough came down on him. Looks like this year is going to be a bad one for farm accidents. Take care out there, don't take chances.

We were dosing stock this morning. Last crush full the heifer at the front reared up and landed flat back on her back. Just lay there. Pulled her out with the jeep and a strap. There was a halter on her head and we put her down the crush again to get it off. She did the exact same fooking thing again. You can't plan for these things. They are accidents.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

whelan2 wrote: »
    We were dosing stock this morning. Last crush full the heifer at the front reared up and landed flat back on her back. Just lay there. Pulled her out with the jeep and a strap. There was a halter on her head and we put her down the crush again to get it off. She did the exact same fooking thing again. You can't plan for these things. They are accidents.

but you can give ones like that the red card as soon as possible

It was handy the strap was still on her the second time 😂😂😂

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

blue5000 wrote: »

Same man just got the all clear that morning from the kidney transplant operation he had a few months previous too

• Advertisement

I agree you can’t plam for every eventuality.

Can still think what might happen here and what can we do to lessen risk. Maybe there is nothing you could do better.
    But amount of times I’ve seen 70 & 80 YO handing about at a crush or even kids under 10 watching what is going on. These groups would be less likely to get out of the way of a flailing animal jumping a crush and much more likely to be injured more seriously. .

I’m serious and not being pedantic. Don’t think these things are just accidents and can’t be helped. Yea, maybe the accident will still happen, livestock and machinery are notoriously unpredictable, but maybe the seriousness of the outcome can be lessened with just a little more thought.

It was handy the strap was still on her the second time ������

Aye. I had to think up different swear words for the second go. She made no attempt to get up either time herself

See the balancing payments are in amounts due on financial self services for 2018 bps

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Scanned the heifers I had let off with the new sim bull yesterday, running with 15 of them for the last seven weeks, 13 of them scanned in calf. Really happy with that, the other 2 are cycling and probably in calf aswell but too early to tell in scan. For 80e it gives great peace of mind to know he was doing his job.

Looks like we have a government, GP votes 76% in favour of programme for government.

Looks like we have a government, GP votes 76% in favour of programme for government.

That's higher than the FF vote in favour

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,499 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

hooray......

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Oh the excitement

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

It is going to be interesting if the leader of the GP gets his way and only permits one car - to be shared - for each village.

He and Greta will no doubt come up with extreme policies when he get going.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Reggie. wrote: »
    Oh the excitement

Looks like Heather Humphry for Agriculture, she won't tolerate fools

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement