Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just felt it was time for a wee name change;)

#YNWA

You should have went the whole hog and changed it to John Buford.

You'd be eternally known for having the high ground. :D

Oh and well done the pool.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Base price wrote: »
    He is a Category Mod now - Social and Fun.

When will the madness end

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

He is a Category Mod now - Social and Fun.

He must know Micheál Martin. :rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It's Catherine Martin is in charge of the Social and Fun Dept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

:D

Speaking of fun, I never remember this report on the TV but it's brilliant.
    https://twitter.com/peterswellman/status/1276883249369882625?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The Rabbi

#YNWA

Celebrate the Scousers success in the garrison game.
    Rabbi XXXVI

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

#YNWA

I'll do the same when Offaly win the All Ireland

( from the grave probably........ )
    ( though hope springs eternal)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭einn32

Listening to Eamon Kelly - the seanachai - on youtube. Telling stories by the fire and some dancing. Simple times. Very enjoyable.

I see on twitter that she has been appointed super junior minister in Ag with responsibility for Land Use and Biodiversity.

Does it happen very often where someone not elected in the General election gets a minister's job?

It's a strange one.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Does it happen very often where someone not elected in the General election gets a minister's job?

It's a strange one.

I have a notion it’s happened recently, within the last few governments.

I Like much of what she says but in true green style she blurts put some serious clangers too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

_Brian wrote: »

I Like much of what she says but in true green style she blurts put some serious clangers too.

Bit of a hypocrite tbh. Being anti live exports but selling and rearing horses for the U.K...

_Brian wrote: »

I was thinking last night how did she get a job when she wasn't even elected.
    And looked it up this morning and to double check and yep still correct.

I can't think of it happening much other times.

In my eyes it makes a mockery of the election.
    I know why she got the seat as she'd be considered the green party's sanest voice on agriculture and they really wanted some involvement. But as you say she drops clangers and she wouldn't have the experience of commercial farmers in this country (sheep, horses). But they wanted her in there.

I was thinking last night how did she get a job when she wasn't even elected.
    And looked it up this morning and to double check and yep still correct.

I can't think of it happening much other times.

In my eyes it makes a mockery of the election.
    I know why she got the seat as she'd be considered the green party's sanest voice on agriculture and they really wanted some involvement. But as you say she drops clangers and she wouldn't have the experience of commercial farmers in this country (sheep, horses). But they wanted her in there.

Your first point was exactly my first thought as well

Mooooo wrote: »
    Your first point was exactly my first thought as well

I have points? :D

The Greens are a bit two faced for pulling a stroke like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The first time there was a "super junior" in Agriculture it was Brendan Smith up here in Cavan.
    His most notable achievements were the ending of both REPS and the Farm Retirement Scheme .....

Was there talk of another retirement scheme coming?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Mooooo wrote: »
    Was there talk of another retirement scheme coming?
    It was mention in the run-up to the discussions.
    Whether there's money for it (ie, could we get the EU to finance part of it) would probably be the deciding factor.

Pippa Hackett is the first Senator appointed to be a Minister since the early 1980's - Irish Times.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all other Super Junior Ministries have been among the elected.
    The provision was there but never acted on.

And to think we could have made Matt Damon, Minister for Defence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Pippa Hackett is the first Senator appointed to be a Minister since the early 1980's - Irish Times.

Correct me if I'm wrong but all other Super Junior Ministries have been among the elected.
    The provision was there but never acted on.

And to think we could have made Matt Damon, Minister for Defence.

We might have been better off

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I'm more than cautious that she has been given the portfolio "land use" and biodiversity. I can understand the biodiversity bit but land use opens a different can of worms. The right to roam brigade will be over this like a rash and we (farmers/landowners) have to ensure that they don't get a foot hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Well she has 200 acres, I'm sure all and sundry will be welcome to roam

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Jim Dooge was appointed a Senator by Garret Fitzgerald and then made Minister for Foreign Affairs in the 1980's.
    Ag has had some turkeys, Smith being one, Coughlan another. Coveney and Creed little better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,478 ✭✭✭coolshannagh28

Should have made Hackett senor minister at least she farms and would have an interest , Cowen as with Coveney will only see it as a stepping stone .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Should have made Hackett senor minister at least she farms and would have an interest , Cowen as with Coveney will only see it as a stepping stone .
    I think that would be wayyy too big a pill to swallow.

Water John wrote: »
    Jim Dooge was appointed a Senator by Garret Fitzgerald and then made Minister for Foreign Affairs in the 1980's.
    Ag has had some turkeys, Smith being one, Coughlan another. Coveney and Creed little better.

I'll be unpopular but I think Creed has been the best Ag minister for many a year.
    All the grants, all the cattle €50 and €100 million special payments brought in. The new live export markets brought in. The extra measures of dept inspections to keep the calf exports going.

The downsides of his ministry are the Mercosur deals agreed. But I'd blame Germany more for that.

Coughlan seemed like she hadn't a clue and Coveney looked like he was more for the corporate business of agriculture and could waffle for hours on a subject. But maybe the schemes under Creed originated with Coveney.

Hopefully I'm wrong but the golden age of Irish agriculture could be just after passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

She not even an elected TD. Hasn't a vote. She's a strong supporter of Ryan. Afaic she's got more than enough for her qualification

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

My young fella had a close one earlier.
    Main holding yard here wasn't fit for purpose as it would have originally been used for milking cows not factory fit bullocks. So have been doing a bit of work on it this last few days. Anyway long story short main gate was a lightwieght gate mounted on a block pier. If the kids ever stood up on the end of the gate it would just sag.
    Replaced it yesterday with a heavy duty gate and raised it up 6" on the pier. So we were up doing a few jobs and he was on the end of the gate. New gate didn't sag so the pier separated half way up. Down came half the pier and gate. He ended up under the gate. We both got a fair fright.
    In fairness he is a topper, he was nearly more upset that he had knocked the pier and undone my work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    My young fella had a close one earlier.
    Main holding yard here wasn't fit for purpose as it would have originally been used for milking cows not factory fit bullocks. So have been doing a bit of work on it this last few days. Anyway long story short main gate was a lightwieght gate mounted on a block pier. If the kids ever stood up on the end of the gate it would just sag.
    Replaced it yesterday with a heavy duty gate and raised it up 6" on the pier. So we were up doing a few jobs and he was on the end of the gate. New gate didn't sag so the pier separated half way up. Down came half the pier and gate. He ended up under the gate. We both got a fair fright.
    In fairness he is a topper, he was nearly more upset that he had knocked the pier and undone my work.

Jesus... :(

I remember years ago when I was small a kid close by was killed swinging on the gate like that.
    As a result, was always drilled into us not to be swinging on gates. And I find myself telling the kids here the same...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

CHOPS01 wrote:
    My young fella had a close one earlier. Main holding yard here wasn't fit for purpose as it would have originally been used for milking cows not factory fit bullocks. So have been doing a bit of work on it this last few days. Anyway long story short main gate was a lightwieght gate mounted on a block pier. If the kids ever stood up on the end of the gate it would just sag. Replaced it yesterday with a heavy duty gate and raised it up 6" on the pier. So we were up doing a few jobs and he was on the end of the gate. New gate didn't sag so the pier separated half way up. Down came half the pier and gate. He ended up under the gate. We both got a fair fright. In fairness he is a topper, he was nearly more upset that he had knocked the pier and undone my work.

I remember as a child swinging on a gate and the faster I could swing the better. Anyway long story short I was swinging one afternoon and the latch was out and caught the piece where it locked into, gate stopped I kept going and knocked out 4 teeth (baby) and bent 2 (adult) needed braces down line as a result!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Jesus... :(

I remember years ago when I was small a kid close by was killed swinging on the gate like that.
    As a result, was always drilled into us not to be swinging on gates. And I find myself telling the kids here the same...

this was before my time,(so not today or yesterday :rolleyes:) but rembember hearing it traced when I was a child, 4 or 5 kids drowned locally on a gate that swung over a canal, this it was a wooden gate post & gave way.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement