Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I'll be unpopular but I think Creed has been the best Ag minister for many a year.
    All the grants, all the cattle €50 and €100 million special payments brought in. The new live export markets brought in. The extra measures of dept inspections to keep the calf exports going.

The downsides of his ministry are the Mercosur deals agreed. But I'd blame Germany more for that.

Coughlan seemed like she hadn't a clue and Coveney looked like he was more for the corporate business of agriculture and could waffle for hours on a subject. But maybe the schemes under Creed originated with Coveney.

Hopefully I'm wrong but the golden age of Irish agriculture could be just after passing.

+1 on all that.
    Some people have such a sense of entitlement now that they think the world owes them a living. and woe betide anyone that doesn't deliver , they get abusive if they don't then.
    You have to admire farmers that get off their ass and reinvent themselves as dairy farmers or train for something else instead of this unending whingeing.
    Is there any other industry that gets as much money poured into it as farming, yet the name calling continues.
    Irelands Economy is not conducive to competitive food production and the demise of beef production is just next in line to the demise of vegetable production

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Should have made Hackett senor minister at least she farms and would have an interest , Cowen as with Coveney will only see it as a stepping stone .

I wonder what's the Green Party policy on horse racing, a fair part of Ms Hacketts farming business is breeding thoroughbred horse's, would that be considered proper land use by her party, herself and her green councillor hubby would have a lot of connections with the equine industry, his family at one point were the country's largest independent bookies

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Jesus... :(

I remember years ago when I was small a kid close by was killed swinging on the gate like that.
    As a result, was always drilled into us not to be swinging on gates. And I find myself telling the kids here the same...

Only glad it happened today cos I was there with him. He goes up every morning with his sister to feed the few calves. Some days the 2 would be up there with their 2 cousins who live next door. And next weekend another 3 cousins are around.
    Thought the pier was solid as a house but obviously not. A cheap lesson as they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Plus 1 on creed. I'm no fine gaeler but i will say at least under them in the main monies due to farmer's were kept paid out in decent time .maybe i was lucky in that i didn't have any inspections in them year's that might otherwise have held them up.

Barry cowen never strikes me on radio or t.v as being very approachable. more of a hard harder line from him. time will tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    My young fella had a close one earlier.
    Main holding yard here wasn't fit for purpose as it would have originally been used for milking cows not factory fit bullocks. So have been doing a bit of work on it this last few days. Anyway long story short main gate was a lightwieght gate mounted on a block pier. If the kids ever stood up on the end of the gate it would just sag.
    Replaced it yesterday with a heavy duty gate and raised it up 6" on the pier. So we were up doing a few jobs and he was on the end of the gate. New gate didn't sag so the pier separated half way up. Down came half the pier and gate. He ended up under the gate. We both got a fair fright.
    In fairness he is a topper, he was nearly more upset that he had knocked the pier and undone my work.
    Similar happened to our daughter here. Fair fright alright.

• Advertisement

ruwithme wrote: »
    Plus 1 on creed. I'm no fine gaeler but i will say at least under them in the main monies due to farmer's were kept paid out in decent time .maybe i was lucky in that i didn't have any inspections in them year's that might otherwise have held them up.

Barry cowen never strikes me on radio or t.v as being very approachable. more of a hard harder line from him. time will tell.

There was a total balls up on payments last year with the new digitisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The first time there was a "super junior" in Agriculture it was Brendan Smith up here in Cavan.
    His most notable achievements were the ending of both REPS and the Farm Retirement Scheme .....

He’s a total nuisance.
    In my job he’s constantly playing political pressure to gain favours for constituents.

One guy i refused work to over the lockdown went to Brendan and I swear to god he rang the office looking to have lads sent out to do maintenance in graveyard.

I put the site back to the back of my list so they had to wait an extra four weeks to get the work done as a result.

Feckin parish pump politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Rang a fella today about PBR Limousin heifers he had for sale on Donedeal. They were just weaned and he wanted €2,500 for them. Am I missing something? :(

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Just caught 4 local lads on scramblers in my field. I think one of them might have **** himself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Rang a fella today about PBR Limousin heifers he had for sale on Donedeal. They were just weaned and he wanted €2,500 for them. Am I missing something? :(

Cheaper than dogs at the minute on DD.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    My young fella had a close one earlier.
    Main holding yard here wasn't fit for purpose as it would have originally been used for milking cows not factory fit bullocks. So have been doing a bit of work on it this last few days. Anyway long story short main gate was a lightwieght gate mounted on a block pier. If the kids ever stood up on the end of the gate it would just sag.
    Replaced it yesterday with a heavy duty gate and raised it up 6" on the pier. So we were up doing a few jobs and he was on the end of the gate. New gate didn't sag so the pier separated half way up. Down came half the pier and gate. He ended up under the gate. We both got a fair fright.
    In fairness he is a topper, he was nearly more upset that he had knocked the pier and undone my work.

I’m teaching my lads already to hop a gate the hanging side. A lot of people farmers included don’t know it’s the right way. I can imagine the poor lad worrying about the gate first, fair play to him, must be a tough young lad!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’m teaching my lads already to hop a gate the hanging side. A lot of people farmers included don’t know it’s the right way. I can imagine the poor lad worrying about the gate first, fair play to him, must be a tough young lad!

Our main gate on the lane closes into a steel post. I’ve a spur welded On the post that sits just under the top bar of the gate when it’s closed. If you step on the gate to cross it the spur takes the weight on the latch end.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

How do ye respond if someone says "Thanks bro".

I want to be cool with the gang. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

Sound out horsebox

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Too easy mate

Better living everyone

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

'S cool, Dawg:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭kk.man

What's the procedure again?
    When vet was testing cattle I requested he change a fr bullock to a he on the card. He agreed. I passed my test and got cards back.

What happens next?

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

In fairness we ended up laughing cos only yesterday evening I was explaining to him the correct way to get over gates and how he was to tell all his cousins the same.
    It'll be a memory we'll both have for the rest of our days.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

It's a while ago, near here, a 10 year old child was killed climbing a gate standing against a wall. There was three of them on it and pulled it down on top of themse!ves. It's the simple ones.

Saw two children climbing on rocks at the beach today unsupervised. A girl about eight fell eight or ten feet into the sand. I wouldn't be surprised if she has a broken leg.

kk.man wrote: »
    What's the procedure again?
    When vet was testing cattle I requested he change a fr bullock to a he on the card. He agreed. I passed my test and got cards back.

What happens next?

Fill out er94b firm with the changes you want. Sent the form and the card to your local dvo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Did anyone see the video of the lads raffling the fiat 100-90 on facebook?. Very shady

Should be on a plane to Spain at the moment :mad:

Kevhog1988 wrote: »
    Did anyone see the video of the lads raffling the fiat 100-90 on facebook?. Very shady

World of 100-90 and 110-90s being raffled at the minute on facebook didnt realise there was as many around.

Better living everyone

Two johnnies podcast discussing would they cut it as a farmer interesting listening for a Monday morning.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭straight

whelan2 wrote: »
    Should be on a plane to Spain at the moment :mad:

You would only miss the cows and the routine.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Very shady indeed.
    Called the winning number before a number appeared on their computer screen. (164 I think).
    But the number that came up was 185.
    Bit of whispering from someone off screen, and yet man says, (I read that wrong, let's scroll down to 185"
    He then announces the winners name.
    More whispering from off screen "cancel it, cancel it".
    So then the lad announces, "we'll draw again" and does so.

They got such a deluge of complaints that they took down their page.
    Reinstated it a day later with a rambling explanation about why their system was showing different numbers on two linked screens...

IF the tractor was ever theirs to raffle, you'd wonder where the 40,000 sterling went...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,002 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Very shady indeed.
    Called the winning number before a number appeared on their computer screen. (164 I think).
    But the number that came up was 185.
    Bit of whispering from someone off screen, and yet man says, (I read that wrong, let's scroll down to 185"
    He then announces the winners name.
    More whispering from off screen "cancel it, cancel it".
    So then the lad announces, "we'll draw again" and does so.

They got such a deluge of complaints that they took down their page.
    Reinstated it a day later with a rambling explanation about why their system was showing different numbers on two linked screens...

IF the tractor was ever theirs to raffle, you'd wonder where the 40,000 sterling went...

And how much the charity received
    ]

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

And how much the charity received
    ]

There'll surely have to be legal enquiries made now?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

A bit like the story of the trainee teacher who was dreading the visit from the dept inspector. She came up with the brainwave of telling the kids to put up their right hand only, if they knew the answer and their left if they didn't.

Working grand till Jimmy put up his hand - "Yes, Jimmy".
    "Oh, sorry Miss. Wrong hand".:D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement

Got my hair cut. No grey hairs. :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement