Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Just passed through lisdoonvarna there now. Its absolutely wedged.
    The brother was heading down last night with a gang , he reckoned this was the best weekend of the month

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I haven’t been there since I was 17 when the hydro used let in lads without Id.

The bus journey home was crazy- got in home one Sunday at 8:10am after leaving Lisdoon at 3. Just in time for mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

A Sunday with no football. First time in ages. I'm off to bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    A Sunday with no football.  First time in ages. I'm off to bed.
    No harm to have a break the odd day from all activities and just lounge around the house

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Interesting that a U.S. navy drone boat washed up on Inis Oirr.

The technology of these has really improved beyond all recognition these days. With the artificial intelligence of the boats and ability to communicate between boats and identifying threats to just being able to navigate the changing the conditions of the sea.

This one had bullet holes though so obviously not that functional.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Singing badly, "The farmer wants a wife, the farmer wants a wife. E I dee yaddy ooooh, the farmer wants a wife!" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

It seems all the gob****es are in the hills this weekend. Had a couple come through a field that theres only one entrance/exit and when I asked them how they got in there they said there was a lane, utter bull! Then they wanted to keep up their cross country trip. Then last night my dad kicked off his burning season only for walkers to shout over the hedge threatening to ring the gardai, kinda hope they actually did

ganmo wrote: »
    It seems all the gob****es are in the hills this weekend. Had a couple come through a field that theres only one entrance/exit and when I asked them how they got in there they said there was a lane, utter bull! Then they wanted to keep up their cross country trip. Then last night my dad kicked off his burning season only for walkers to shout over the hedge threatening to ring the gardai, kinda hope they actually did

Ass hole kids up the road kicked off their burning season last night by burning a big stack of bales in a field which a farmer had stacked. Fire brigade out

Bullocks wrote: »
    No harm to have a break the odd day from all activities and just lounge around the house

Youngest lad plays on 5 teams. He's a goalkeeper and is in demand. He's one of 3 kids so always on the road with one,2 or 3 of them. In a few years we'll be looking back saying we were mad. They could be at alot worse

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Youngest lad plays on 5 teams. He's a goalkeeper and is in demand. He's one of 3 kids so always on the road with one,2 or 3 of them. In a few years we'll be looking back saying we were mad. They could be at alot worse

When they're busy, they have no chance of getting involved in burning bales and the likes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

The youngest lad here plays on 3 gaa teams and the rugby.
    Eldest lads this yr played on 5 teams gaa and 2 rugby teams.

At least one of them passed his driving test takes a lot of pressure off.

dzer2 wrote: »
    The youngest lad here plays on 3 gaa teams and the rugby.
    Eldest lads this yr played on 5 teams gaa and 2 rugby teams.

At least one of them passed his driving test takes a lot of pressure off.

Eldest lad failed his test a few weeks ago . Tbh the roads to some of the pitches, soccer one especially I hate driving it and would be anxious of him driving on it. Hair pin bend etc. My parents are a great help for drop offs etc

When they're busy, they have no chance of getting involved in burning bales and the likes.

I'd say they will be picked up on CCTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Took a good luck at the weanling today, they’re growing well but the back ends look to be coming off them.
    They’re getting 5kg nuts between 10
    Going to give stock boost drench, should I increase the nuts to 10kg to get the rear end muscle
    Sales are next month

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Grueller

Took a good luck at the weanling today, they’re growing well but the back ends look to be coming off them.
    Going to give stock boost drench, should I increase the nuts to 10kg to get the rear end muscle
    Sales are next month

Mine are eating 2kg each plus good grass. Selling in the next fortnight as I am on a Tb contingent test by months end as a neighbour on the outfarm is locked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Ours are on roughly 15kg a day between 13. Was using two creep feeders to portion it out fairly but can't get to move a feeder now with the wet ground so back to one :o

Ours are on roughly 15kg a day between 13. Was using two creep feeders to portion it out fairly but can't get to move a feeder now with the wet ground so back to one :o

It's a mad country. Ground dry enough here.

It's a mad country. Ground dry enough here.

You're lucky! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Got the suits sorted today. For the four of us. Long enough day but a few pints before and after did the job!
    Two and a bit weeks to go. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Sales are next month

I'd give them as much as they could eat for the next month. Mine are being right stubborn this year and only a few of them are going into the feeder for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

I'd give them as much as they could eat for the next month. Mine are being right stubborn this year and only a few of them are going into the feeder for me.

Would a shake of salt make it more palatable to them? Anyone do this?

Odelay wrote: »
    Would a shake of salt make it more palatable to them? Anyone do this?

I've used sugar in the past mixed through ration :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Got the suits sorted today. For the four of us. Long enough day but a few pints before and after did the job!
    Two and a bit weeks to go. :D

I've the noose ready

I've used sugar in the past mixed through ration :pac:

We have a fr bull we kept from the spring as he was a bad calf. Was doing ok until last week . One day he will eat coarse ration the next day he won't. He will bawl at you if he doesn't like the coarse ration. My dad gives him nuts then. I am of the opinion if he's hungry he'll eat it. Was injecting him the other day and there's a big love heart on his side in his markings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

Reggie. wrote: »
    I've the noose ready

Fail to plan, plan to fail!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Some years ago we had a fairly large LM weanling, with a scowl on him, who wouldn’t eat ration. When rounded up and encouraged to join the others, he wouldn’t eat any but would go around and upend all the feeders . Needless to say, I got the message pretty quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Vet out tomorrow for a bullock with a blocked gut, surgery.

All other tricks having no effects.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

There's some amount of 'large' blocks of farmland for sale in this country this year.

Just on the journal this week.
    180 acres Kildare.
    277 acres Kildare.
    184 acres Galway.

5 pages taken up with property in the journal this week.

216 acre farm near Bunclody sold a few days ago too.

If one had money. One could buy half the country in this last while.
    If one had money, that'd be one sure way of losing a lot of it. I'd say come back in 5 years and you'd buy it for half.

• Advertisement

If one had money, that'd be one sure way of losing a lot of it. I'd say come back in 5 years and you'd buy it for half.

Maybe.

But you'll be competing with the Chinese for land in 5 years.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement