Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    One of the reasons the Irish Cob Society lost the right to register horses and sign passports...
    If it had 4 legs and was a bit taller than an Alsation, you could get your horse registered and issued with a passport..

It's the microchip requirements now are really putting the kibosh on these dodgy dealings.
    There was a bit of a scandal last year when people were caught bringing in coded microchips from China with numbers that matched horses slaughtered in eastern Europe.
    A bit of an international mafia going on.
    Assumptions should be made then that the official passports would be making there way from the slaughterhouse to the horses where these chips were going to be used in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Anyone know anywhere around the midlands that you could rent a stone rake. I'm reclaiming land, and there's stones after being unearthed and I've neither the time nor desire to go picking them, and there's loads :(

Waste of time them yokes. I went into a field this year that one of them went through last year and you would swear it never picked anything off it.

It did gather stones but they all came back as bad as ever and I believe it cost a fortune to get it in. Just pick the biggest of the stones out of the field and heavy roll the rest

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

It's the microchip requirements now are really putting the kibosh on these dodgy dealings.
    There was a bit of a scandal last year when people were caught bringing in coded microchips from China with numbers that matched horses slaughtered in eastern Europe.
    A bit of an international mafia going on.
    Assumptions should be made then that the official passports would be making there way from the slaughterhouse to the horses where these chips were going to be used in Ireland.

The whole thing is a kind of legal grey area, any horse issued with a passport before 2009 didn't need to be microchipped. This has led to "clean" books (eg those with no microchip number) being in demand as they could be swapped between horse's of similar type with no specific way of determining whether it was the correct passport.

Is there many places left slaughtering horses? Emerald isle foods in Thomastown were the main players in recent years and I think there was another plant operating in Kildare but I don't know of any other facilities. It's died back well in the last few years compared to say 10 year's ago when there were numerous plants operating around the country. I think there was over 25,000 horses slaughtered annually for a few years at the end of the noughties when the economy went into recession and the horse trade collapsed.

That was only the official recorded figures at the time and no doubt the actual number was far higher. I think the annual kill has dropped into mid thousand single figures in recent years due to more stringent regulations and the fact that there isn't the volume of horses about that there was a decade ago. There was plant in Tipperary I think that bought some amount of them through local fair's and the monthly sales in Drumshanbo for a few years. I knew a lot of lad's that used to deal in them at the time but there's very few left buying them the last 2 year's.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,963 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Jjameson wrote: »
    I have a Charolais bullock here bought with the camera a bit long in the legs and narrow.. I better go check he doesn’t like apples!

Could be a Guinness bullock, originally white, but had a few large bottles rubbed onto him, to get a false tan

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

OHs shifts have gotten worse, she is now working 10 days and they have reduced some shifts to 3 hrs in the middle of the day with Covid as the excuse. 40minute drive each way. Destroys the day from a work point of view and barely covers diesel.It’s a big change on conditions since going back from maternity leave. She is the worst affected. I’ve her begged to get onto union. Will see will she bother.

Selling off all yearlings Week after next. Was going to keep a few heifers but want to reduce workload a little. Only have 9 and 3 are poor enough but am afraid they will break and I’ll have the lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

Whats a fair price for bale of meadow for silage. Was fertilised but average yield. Normally cut for hay but neighbour asked me for it for silage.

Would prefer to do a price per bale ? What would be a fair price?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

Tileman wrote: »
    Whats a fair price for bale of meadow for silage. Was fertilised but average yield. Normally cut for hay but neighbour asked me for it for silage.

Would prefer to do a price per bale ? What would be a fair price?

Seen 2 meadows like that advertised at €10 per bale

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Seen 2 meadows like that advertised at €10 per bale

That's what I charge too,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

8 bales to the acre average
    80 euro per acre poor money as you have fertilised it.

dzer2 wrote: »

It'd be mostly ten bales/acre here and it's be paddocks that got too strong for the sheep. I'd be selling it just to get rid.
    I've often said here it's a waste of money selling silage,
    I think it's costing about thirteen euro to mow bale and wrap now so it's not cheap for the buyer either

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Tileman

dzer2 wrote: »

Yea that’s true when you put it like that . Don’t really need the meadow and want to clear it as will need it for after grass for sheep but don’t want to be giving it away either especially this year where fodder might be scarce .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,883 ✭✭✭50HX

Hearing of a lot of dept inspections going on lately

Checking all tags and scanning the bluecards, not really focusing on anything else

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Tileman wrote: »
    Yea that’s true when you put it like that . Don’t really need the meadow and want to clear it as will need it for after grass for sheep but don’t want to be giving it away either especially this year where fodder might be scarce .

Fodder won't be scarce growth is good most now have a surplus. Will 80 -90 euro cover the fert and spreading. Will.you need to spread heavy again to bring back the after grass.
    I try hard to only make enough for myself as I feel I need to get 30 euro a bale if I have any to sell in the spring and lads feel I am fleecing them. I make 30 bales of hay most years easier to sell and will last for a few years

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Anyone watching the weanlings in Gortatlea? I'm looking at the heifer's the last hour, average stock are making there money and the sky is the limit for anything real nice. I used to stay at home from marts to try and get something done but that no longer works as I can now sit watching the phone instead of standing ringside.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Nothing beats having a kind matriarch on the farm to train/lead younger stock. I got this lady from a dairy farmer friend in 2014 cause she was fussy in the parlour. She ain't a commercial breed but she has more than paid her way for us.
    Pic of her earlier last week after getting a prid inserted and a banana.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Anyone watching the weanlings in Gortatlea? I'm looking at the heifer's the last hour, average stock are making there money and the sky is the limit for anything real nice. I used to stay at home from marts to try and get something done but that no longer works as I can now sit watching the phone instead of standing ringside.

Was watching the calf sale in listowel earlier today thru the online streaming service.... very very handy.... actually it’s brilliant....

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

:D:D

Please tell me theres someone on here that knows the background to this!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have opw here cleaning out our river. It's a great job they have

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭straight

whelan2 wrote: »
    Have opw here cleaning out our river. It's a great job they have

Arrive on time, take your time and go home on time.

straight wrote: »

Public disservice again,
    apparently the foreman on one gang warns his workers not to pass him on the way home if they're skiving off early.
    Another worker was offered a different job and wouldn't take it because he'd have to stay until quitting time everyday, he's a digger driver and his words were he only has to drive the digger (at snails pace) for four hours every day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Suckler

wrangler wrote: »
    Public disservice again,
    apparently the foreman on one gang warns his workers not to pass him on the way home if they're skiving off early.
    Another worker was offered a different job and wouldn't take it because he'd have to stay until quitting time everyday, he's a digger driver and his words were he only has to drive the digger (at snails pace) for four hours every day.

Pub stories are the best stories.

Suckler wrote: »

I only wish it was a pub story
    The jokes on you I'm afraid.
    It's the same mind set that has a million on hospital waiting list.
    A lot of my age are on that same waiting list.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

ganmo wrote: »
    :D:D

Please tell me theres someone on here that knows the background to this!!:D

Hie do you mean background it's just a donkey derby.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,820 ✭✭✭Doctors room ghost

“And be looking from them the whole time”

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Please tell me theres someone on here that knows the background to this!

Great to start the day with a good laugh - brilliant stuff

https://www.facebook.com/castletowndonkeyderby/

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Got talking to one OPW digger driver here one day. I couln't get away from him. When I said I had to go, he walked back with me to his van, parked beside mine.
    I think it was around 3pm at the time. His day done :rolleyes:

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I was topping an 8 acre field along the river the other day. It was an eye opener watching them . Digger ticking over all the while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭straight

Suckler wrote: »

We can all witness the wasters with our own eyes.

We can all witness the wasters with our own eyes.

It's the fact they get away with it that's so annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

whelan2 wrote: »
    I was topping an 8 acre field along the river the other day. It was an eye opener watching them . Digger ticking over all the while

3 foot men , 1 cc lorry with driver , 1 jcb with driver, clearing the bridge near our entrance,

full days work, i'd safely about 4 barrow loads all done with digger.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement