Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

Slightly off topic but didn't want to start a thread. We have a springer x setter male dog (2YO) last 3 days he's like a caged animal barking like a lunatic and pacing around his run to try get out to the bitch next door who's in heat. Nomally a very placid, friendly, quiet dog. Is there anyway of stopping it or calming him down without getting the snip?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Some witch hunt going on against Barry Cowen.

RTE and the other eegits reacting to this should be ashamed of themselves.

Are we now going to see Michael Martin's golden girl Pippa Hackett promoted to overall Minister for Agriculture?

Absolutely, sure it's all part of growing up, and he only a young fellow on a learner permit.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    But all your doing is delaying having to pay a month, what difference does it make then? Your co-op sales rep will give you that if you look for it without the danger of slipping into paying exorbitant interest rates. Watch any money advice program and the first piece of advice is get a scissors to the credit card.

I've a small farm so small Bill for the most part. It's as much about convenience as anything else. I could have paid with debit card too but I've been using the credit card for over 20 years and no interest paid.

I've paid by cheque in the store all along but every now and then I'd forget to pay and get caught for COOP service chargers. Setting up the online account was to avoid this.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Some witch hunt going on against Barry Cowen.

RTE and the other eegits reacting to this should be ashamed of themselves.

Are we now going to see Michael Martin's golden girl Pippa Hackett promoted to overall Minister for Agriculture?

In all fairness, the appointment of the Agri team brings into focus the practice of appointing people to roles which they have almost no knowledge of.
    They circulated an email yesterday expressing amazement at the wide reaching work and scope of the Dept. Ag, admitting they had no idea of the range of schemes their new appointment covered.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Absolutely, sure it's all part of growing up, and he only a young fellow on a learner permit.

It all stinks of Michael Martin shafting Barry Cowen.

It happened four years ago. He complied with the Gardai.
    Whoever released this wanted to do him maximum damage.

My own conspiracy theory is this smells of American involvement. It's par the course of politics over there.
    Who's the American financial puppetmasters who like to involve themselves in this country. The seventh day evangelist or Californian vegan mafia or however bankrolls the campaign's here and I suspect especially the prominent American advisors to have involvement in our Green party. The incredible hulk, etc. :pac:
    They then got to Michael Martin in some way. And Michael appointed Pippa Hackett an unelected election candidate to the role of super junior agricultural minister. An extraordinary action that hasn't occured since 1981.
    Now poor Michael had the problem of Barry Cowen a contender to topple his leadership. The yanks step in. Don't worry Michael we'll kill two birds with one stone says them.
    Four years ago Barry was charged with being over the limit and put off the road for three months. We'll release that.
    Go ahead says him. I'll deny all knowledge of him and shaft the bugger.
    We'll then appoint Pippa as the senior Minister of Ag and we'll all win.
    Work away so lads.
    Huzzah!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    But all your doing is delaying having to pay a month, what difference does it make then? Your co-op sales rep will give you that if you look for it without the danger of slipping into paying exorbitant interest rates. Watch any money advice program and the first piece of advice is get a scissors to the credit card.

That flexibility may be only available to some. Sorta depends on your relationship.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    In all fairness, the appointment of the Agri team brings into focus the practice of appointing people to roles which they have almost no knowledge of.
    They circulated an email yesterday expressing amazement at the wide reaching work and scope of the Dept. Ag, admitting they had no idea of the range of schemes their new appointment covered.

There's plenty of experience in the civil servants in the Department of Ag to run the schemes without politicians interfering, better off without them.
    Of course ministers have input, I'd wager it's no coincidence that Creed gave nothing to suckler farmers since they started abusing him, no coincidence that it's all going to finishers

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

It’s suspect timing all right for the news of the drinking to come out now, but I suppose Cowen wasn’t really in the public eye before - so maybe people didn’t go digging before?

Either way, what’s Cowen like?
    I wouldn’t be a fan of FF, probably cos am still a bit irate that they nearly broke the country... The Cowen name does nothing to help that either... ;)

Lads here seem to be upset about Pippa Hackett? I think it’s a good setup, Green junior and FF/FG Minister...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It’s suspect timing all right for the news of the drinking to come out now, but I suppose Cowen wasn’t really in the public eye before - so maybe people didn’t go digging before?

Either way, what’s Cowen like?
    I wouldn’t be a fan of FF, probably cos am still a bit irate that they nearly broke the country... The Cowen name does nothing to help that either... ;)

Lads here seem to be upset about Pippa Hackett? I think it’s a good setup, Green junior and FF/FG Minister...

There isn't a single TD or political journalist who didn't know of Cowens ban, any that didn't know within 24 hours of being bagged were either on monastic retreat or completely out of touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

You would have to draw the conclusion that Cowans "bagging" and driving ban never made the headlines because he wasn't a vocal critic of the Gardai..
    Claire Daly, on the other hand . ....

Seemingly the newspaper/radio reporters were at the Station before the Gardai and their prisoner made it that far..

Don't forget the treatment Maurice McCabe got...
    If they would do that to one of their own, what would they do to you?

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    You would have to draw the conclusion that Cowans "bagging" and driving ban never made the headlines because he wasn't a vocal critic of the Gardai..
    Claire Daly, on the other hand . ....

Seemingly the newspaper/radio reporters were at the Station before the Gardai and their prisoner made it that far..

Don't forget the treatment Maurice McCabe got...
    If they would do that to one of their own, what would they do to you?

I know what they'd do to you/me. :D

They're human after all. I've had my share of pr1ck guards who knew the other fella.

All this does smell American.
    The first reaction anyone I've talked to about this was "So".

I'd say most of us know people put off the road for three months. It doesn't change what you think about them. This is still Ireland. Change doesn't happen overnight.
    And this was four years ago. Four friggin years ago.
    There's ministers had affairs in office in this country and there was never a word about it. The press wouldn't go there.
    But God forbid an opposition politician has a few drinks, gets breathalised, gets their penalty points and is banned from driving for three months..Four years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,517 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I know what they'd do to you/me. :D

They're human after all. I've had my share of pr1ck guards who knew the other fella.

All this does smell American.
    The first reaction anyone I've talked to about this was "So".

I'd say most of us know people put off the road for three months. It doesn't change what you think about them. This is still Ireland. Change doesn't happen overnight.
    And this was four years ago. Four friggin years ago.
    There's ministers had affairs in office in this country and there was never a word about it. The press wouldn't go there.
    But God forbid an opposition politician has a few drinks, gets breathalised, gets their penalty points and is banned from driving for three months..Four years ago.

You are not supposed to drink and drive. He was also on a learner license aged 49 year old. He should not have driven full stop. I dont care how many years ago it was

whelan2 wrote: »
    You are not supposed to drink and drive. He was also on a learner license aged 49 year old. He should not have driven full stop. I dont care how many years ago it was

What's the full story of this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Surely barrys one of those lucky ones born long enough to not have had to sit a driving test??

Maximum axles and the likes licence. no?

ruwithme wrote: »
    Surely barrys one of those lucky ones born long enough to not have had to sit a driving test??

Maximum axles and the likes licence. no?

I wouldnt think so. Wasnt that in the 70s or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Learner permit for the cow box maybe??

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    I wouldnt think so. Wasnt that in the 70s or something.
    I think it was 87 or 88. - scratch that I was thinking of the automatic entitlement for a Cat C licence.

Something doesn't add up. He would have had to be accompanied by a qualified driver when driving. Also how would insurance work?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Just back from the local, first pint of Smithwicks in 3 years like mothers milk. Few lads came in at 8 and were told their pushing it if they want grub. All well run and well distanced, i think the Irish pub is going full Ozzy for a while in early get a feed and home by 9:30. Still be fresh on a Sunday morning after it.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Just back from the local, first pint of Smithwicks in 3 years like mothers milk. Few lads came in at 8 and were told their pushing it if they want grub. All well run and well distanced, i think the Irish pub is going full Ozzy for a while in early get a feed and home by 9:30. Still be fresh on a Sunday morning after it.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Anyone see the highland cow and calf that made €2310 today in Dowra? The online bidding is a big revelation for more niche type stock especially if there well advertised beforehand. It eventually came down to some battle between two very interested online bidders.

Dowra is the only mart I've encountered on those platforms where you need prior approval to watch the sale. Usually you only need approval to bid but not as a spectator. Granted there very clannish at the best of times and if you're not in the inner circle you won't know what was dear or cheap around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Looking at getting a hedge trimmer, mainly for briars than hedges...

Anyone got anything good or bad to say about echo?

Looking at the one in link below

https://www.echo-tools.co.uk/products/hedge-trimmers/hca-2620es-hd/

During the last week I bought a similar type machine .
    An Oleo Mac BC 241 HL. I have an ordinary hedge trimmer too but it's hard work on a hedge above shoulder height.
    The new one seems a great job on shoulder height hedges. €550 I gave for it. I haven't it long enough to tell you much else.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Be very hard to control Covid19 in t his crowd.

No doubt we will have following waves and more deaths if this is how people are going to behave

https://twitter.com/BarryWhyte85/status/1279523136413761544?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 13 David Hay

Anyone want an island?

Not a tree nor shrub nor bit of shelter on it.
    l]

I can only imagine how unforgiving the climate would be out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

_Brian wrote: »
    Be very hard to control Covid19 in t his crowd.

No doubt we will have following waves and more deaths if this is how people are going to behave

https://twitter.com/BarryWhyte85/status/1279523136413761544?s=20

The it’ll never happen to me brigade.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

David Hay wrote: »

Yep - hard to believe it was ever inhabited

David Hay wrote: »

It's an SAC so I doubt any development would be allowed.
    Plus Wikipedia gives it as 70ac. The auctioneer gives it as 55ac.
    Who knows what it'd be by the time the cheque clears. :pac:

I'd say the perfect mix of island life with still a social mix would be somewhere like the Aran Islands.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

It's an SAC so I doubt any development would be allowed.
    Plus Wikipedia gives it as 70ac. The auctioneer gives it as 55ac.
    Who knows what it'd be by the time the cheque clears. :pac:

I'd say the perfect mix of island life with still a social mix would be somewhere like the Aran Islands.

Does molasses melt rocks!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement