Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Does molasses melt rocks!

No that's compression. :p

(How's things over there? )

Does molasses melt rocks!

I was codding a bit with the last message.

Why what have you done?

Molasses is acidic so will dissolve limestone and release carbon dioxide.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

No that's compression. :p

(How's things over there? )

Aran wouldn't be known for its rolling green fields. It's just like the burren

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

I was codding a bit with the last message.

Why what have you done?

Molasses is acidic so will dissolve limestone and release carbon dioxide.

No damage at all : )

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Aran wouldn't be known for its rolling green fields. It's just like the burren

Savage rich grass in many fields, often saw great cattle there and little indoor wintering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Danzy wrote: »
    Savage rich grass in many fields, often saw great cattle there and little indoor wintering.

I was in a taxi on Aran once and asked the driver "how come there's no sheep on the island?". Everyone in the car including him, turned around and just looked at me.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

ruwithme wrote: »
    Man city 3 goals up against the pool. maybe not a great team after all. 1st team selection too. Hard to see United under fergie days after winning the title (without kicking a ball too) going out and not intent on victory.

Better day all round today

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

What's the maximum age for selling sucks without being Tb tested? It used to be 42 days but am I correct in thinking it was extended to 120 day's?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

What's the maximum age for selling sucks without being Tb tested? It used to be 42 days but am I correct in thinking it was extended to 120 day's?

I think that extension was just for the lockdown. Not sure if it's still in place

• Registered Users Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Yep - hard to believe it was ever inhabited

Indeed - My place in North Mayo is not a million miles away and I went on a Dolphin viewing trip around the island via Blacksod a couple of years ago. It was a calm day but even then the sea was mountainous as it is totaly exposed to the Atlantic swell. I'd say most of the averge winter there would be no way of gaining access to it unless you had a military helcoptor!!

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    I'm more than cautious that she has been given the portfolio "land use" and biodiversity. I can understand the biodiversity bit but land use opens a different can of worms. The right to roam brigade will be over this like a rash and we (farmers/landowners) have to ensure that they don't get a foot hold.

This was from back in August last year when plans were being made.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/national-land-use-plan-urged-by-stop-climate-chaos-coalition-1.3981165?mode=amp

Hello all fellow serfs.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

120 days for internal sales within the State since the Covid outbreak. A TB test is still required for export stock over 42 days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/national-land-use-plan-urged-by-stop-climate-chaos-coalition-1.3981165?mode=amp

Hello all fellow serfs.

She has a steep learning curve ahead of her and is going to be battered from both sides for going too far/not far enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Looking at the full moon tonight, you'll see Jupiter just over it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Water John wrote: »
    Looking at the full moon tonight, you'll see Jupiter just over it.

is that the single bright star spot about 5 moon diameters over it

Slava Ukrainii

Hello all fellow serfs.

Anyone owning any form of peatland, by the by that isn't confined to raised and blanket bogs, but also drained peatland that might now even be dairying should be very concerned at what's coming down the tracks.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

More from the department on the discovery of Oak Processionary moths.

Trees were imported from Belgium. Spent some time in Limerick and were planted in a Dublin park.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=275569203875844&id=102252781207488&refid=28&_ft_=qid.6846216379967722873%3Amf_story_key.4817442441480950769%3Agroup_id.564488387058951%3Atop_level_post_id.1616617465179366%3Acontent_owner_id_new.100004102493261%3Aoriginal_content_id.275569203875844%3Aoriginal_content_owner_id.102252781207488%3Apage_id.102252781207488%3Asrc.22%3Aphoto_attachments_list.%5B275568963875868%2C275569027209195%5D%3Aphoto_id.275568963875868%3Astory_location.5%3Aattached_story_attachment_style.album%3Aview_time.1594008666%3Afilter.h_nor%3Atds_flgs.3%3Apage_insights.%7B"102252781207488"%3A%7B"page_id"%3A102252781207488%2C"page_id_type"%3A"page"%2C"actor_id"%3A100004102493261%2C"attached_story"%3A%7B"page_id"%3A102252781207488%2C"page_id_type"%3A"page"%2C"actor_id"%3A102252781207488%2C"dm"%3A%7B"isShare"%3A0%2C"originalPostOwnerID"%3A0%7D%2C"psn"%3A"EntStatusCreationStory"%2C"post_context"%3A%7B"object_fbtype"%3A266%2C"publish_time"%3A1593789794%2C"story_name"%3A"EntStatusCreationStory"%2C"story_fbid"%3A%5B275569203875844%5D%7D%2C"role"%3A1%2C"sl"%3A5%7D%2C"dm"%3A%7B"isShare"%3A0%2C"originalPostOwnerID"%3A0%7D%2C"psn"%3A"EntGroupMallPostCreationStory"%2C"role"%3A1%2C"sl"%3A5%2C"targets"%3A%5B%7B"actor_id"%3A100004102493261%2C"page_id"%3A102252781207488%2C"post_id"%3A275569203875844%2C"role"%3A1%2C"share_id"%3A0%7D%5D%7D%2C"564488387058951"%3A%7B"page_id"%3A564488387058951%2C"page_id_type"%3A"group"%2C"actor_id"%3A100004102493261%2C"dm"%3A%7B"isShare"%3A1%2C"originalPostOwnerID"%3A275569203875844%7D%2C"psn"%3A"EntGroupMallPostCreationStory"%2C"post_context"%3A%7B"object_fbtype"%3A657%2C"publish_time"%3A1593933066%2C"story_name"%3A"EntGroupMallPostCreationStory"%2C"story_fbid"%3A%5B1616617465179366%5D%7D%2C"role"%3A1%2C"sl"%3A5%7D%7D&__tn__=%2As-R

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Anyone owning any form of peatland, by the by that isn't confined to raised and blanket bogs, but also drained peatland that might now even be dairying should be very concerned at what's coming down the tracks.

Is that not a bit of scare mongering ??
    Is there evidence that there are plans to do anything with land that’s already in grass??

I’ll be honest, I’m torn on this issue.

I think there is much more to land than ploughing you everything, obliterating hedges and growing a monoculture of ryegrass pushed on by massive amounts of N, with every weed sprayed. We all see that approach and it’s destroying biodiversity and damaging groundwater quality.

Equally the GP view often out forward that we can move to cereals everywhere demonstrates they don’t fully understand Irish land use either, and I’d include Pippa in that, I’m not sure she has a grasp of land use outside the golden vale.

It’s funny to see such a resistance to reducing herd numbers when so so many are loosing money every year. Do people really beleiv the fairy tale that higher numbers and improved efficiency will bring them into profit?? Or that some minister will step on and make processors pay €4.50/kg for beef ??

There must be a middle ground between Creeds non interest in farming and any potential GP loosing the run of themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭memorystick

Really stupid question. Is it safe to hi maize meal to dry sows? I’ve a ton left and was going to mix it half and half with sow meal. Just concerned about copper and other minerals. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

_Brian wrote: »
    Is that not a bit of scare mongering ??
    Is there evidence that there are plans to do anything with land that’s already in grass??

I’ll be honest, I’m torn on this issue.

I think there is much more to land than ploughing you everything, obliterating hedges and growing a monoculture of ryegrass pushed on by massive amounts of N, with every weed sprayed. We all see that approach and it’s destroying biodiversity and damaging groundwater quality.

Equally the GP view often out forward that we can move to cereals everywhere demonstrates they don’t fully understand Irish land use either, and I’d include Pippa in that, I’m not sure she has a grasp of land use outside the golden vale.

It’s funny to see such a resistance to reducing herd numbers when so so many are loosing money every year. Do people really beleiv the fairy tale that higher numbers and improved efficiency will bring them into profit?? Or that some minister will step on and make processors pay €4.50/kg for beef ??

There must be a middle ground between Creeds non interest in farming and any potential GP loosing the run of themselves.

I'd agree with you on all of this except the bit in bold.

From the simple facts I've heard about the Minister that she is originally from Mayo and is now running a flock of 100 Romney ewes on an outdoor lambing system, I'd say she has a pretty good understanding of land use!

And I'm certainly no GP supporter.

• Advertisement

She has a steep learning curve ahead of her and is going to be battered from both sides for going too far/not far enough.

She shouldn't be there full stop.

She was unelected. Her appointment stinks of Mussolini appointing special experts to Ministerial positions.
    Look how that turned out.
    And for me they've really used the propaganda machine to it's fullest. Who else does that remind you of?

Farmers make money in this country. They earn a living. Pay taxes. Keep the circular rural economy going.
    Yet to listen to their propaganda that farmers themselves unknowingly contribute to. We're all broke dependent on government subsidy and mortgaged to the hilt from all our endless expansion.

As for the biodiversity. The laws are already there about hedgerow removal and trimming.
    But show a few idiots which there will always be even if God himself was giving out retribution and in power, on social media and it drives home their message that they need more power and be in charge.
    It's an authoritarian group that compromise won't wash with. And we even see the first shoots of Pippa changing her mind about cattle numbers that was supposed to be one of the keystones agreed with FF/FG when agreeing to government.

What the poor lass and the Greens don't realise in their quest for sound bites on the issue is that the market and demographics are already chipping away at it. But no doubt will claim credit for in the following years.

Have a lad starting today powerwashing the sheds. I dont mind powerwashing but it will free up more time for other things

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭straight

whelan2 wrote: »
    Have a lad starting today powerwashing the sheds. I dont mind powerwashing but it will free up more time for other things

Is it his own washer or yours. Not a nice job but I don't mind it either. After buying a new washer here so I'd better make use of it.

It's his own washer. I have a good enough washer here but I find I only get a couple of hours here and there to wash the sheds and end up under pressure in September October to get it done

Poor tucker doesn't know what hes in for :D

Reggie. wrote: »
    Poor tucker doesn't know what hes in for :D

He'll be grand . He's here since 8 and hasn't come near me yet

He'll be grand . He's here since 8 and hasn't come near me yet

Hes afraid to I'd say

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

She shouldn't be there full stop.

She was unelected. Her appointment stinks of Mussolini appointing special experts to Ministerial positions.
    Look how that turned out.
    And for me they've really used the propaganda machine to it's fullest. Who else does that remind you of?

Farmers make money in this country. They earn a living. Pay taxes. Keep the circular rural economy going.
    Yet to listen to their propaganda that farmers themselves unknowingly contribute to. We're all broke dependent on government subsidy and mortgaged to the hilt from all our endless expansion.

As for the biodiversity. The laws are already there about hedgerow removal and trimming.
    But show a few idiots which there will always be even if God himself was giving out retribution and in power, on social media and it drives home their message that they need more power and be in charge.
    It's an authoritarian group that compromise won't wash with. And we even see the first shoots of Pippa changing her mind about cattle numbers that was supposed to be one of the keystones agreed with FF/FG when agreeing to government.

What the poor lass and the Greens don't realise in their quest for sound bites on the issue is that the market and demographics are already chipping away at it. But no doubt will claim credit for in the following years.

I wouldn't argue with any of that, tbh.

One thing to keep an eye out for, speaking of sound bites is the difference between the headline and body of the article.
    Herd cull cannot be ruled out, says farming minister

And then in the last paragraph
    However, Hackett said such a move would be regressive

The media manipulation of the story is something we need to be keeping as much of an eye out for as the story itself.
    Some might speculate that the media storm about Cowen is the start of a move to oust him to be replaced by his junior minister and the media would play a central part in moving sentiment from one side to another.
    The fact that the science is extremely strong on retaining grasslands and more data backing it up being released every day is conveniently ignored by that same media.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

A lot of media headlines are deliberately sensationalist alright
    I don't expect vradakar or Martin will allow a green party Ag minister

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Mortelaro wrote: »
    A lot of media headlines are deliberately sensationalist alright
    I don't expect vradakar or Martin will allow a green party Ag minister

Agree it's a FF post so replacement will be a FF TD if that happens, it's unlikely that there would be any major reshuffle. Dara Calleary would probably slot straight in there

Slava Ukrainii

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement