Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Someone closer to the border might be able to help me, what are the regulations selling cattle from the South up to Northern Ireland?
    TB tested within 30 days, have two tags and most go through a DAFM approved export facility/mart - Carnaross and Ballyjamesduff would be our local approved marts.
    Edit - the cattle have to be resident in your herd number for over 30 days.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

When I was in marts yonks ago, they have to go through an approved export facility. So Mohil would get bulls in from the Christmas Cracker etc to be seen by officials & tested if necessary.
    I'm sure someone can let you know more recent specs if they've changed- Albert J most likely!

It's largely the same procedure for the last number of years to the best of my knowledge. All stock need to be Tb tested within 30 day's of the date of export and export eligible. This means that the animal can't ever have been Tb inconclusive or the herd of origin being under any restrictions at the time of export.

You'll need to go through an export approved facility eg. A mart. All stock need 2 tags and to be healthy. Most marts have dedicated day's for export depending on the availability of department staff to oversee the exportation process. The department staff will read the individual animal tags and check that all the relevant protocol is in order before loading can commence. Most marts will facilitate the process for a set commission per head and many will arrange testing as needed for stock that are not export tested.

Just be mindful that stock outside of 30 day's from the last Tb test aren't eligible for export but you won't usually be allowed to retest an animal for 60 days from the date of the last Tb test. Therefore an animal was better to 61 day's from the date of the last test as opposed to 31 days as you can retest the first animal immediately where as the second once can't be tested for a month. I've probably left out some more information but that's all I can think of atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Is it just me or are there more birds hanging around the roads these days? Pigeons especially and they are slow to move off the road too for oncoming traffic.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is it just me or are there more birds hanging around the roads these days? Pigeons especially and they are slow to move off the road too for oncoming traffic.

Pigeons always a torture on the road. Awfully slow to lift, often too slow

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

_Brian wrote: »
    Pigeons always a torture on the road. Awfully slow to lift, often too slow

Hit onw this moring myself too. Maybe im just not used to tbem after being away for a bit, only had Galahs and Roos to avoid out there 😂

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Inspections are back.

Had HSA inspection yesterday. She found plenty of minor issues, but nothig I wasn't aware of or working on already to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The crows have fecked off from here the last few days thankfully. They are a pain in the hole. Probably eating someone's corn

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Base price wrote: »
    TB tested within 30 days, have two tags and most go through a DAFM approved export facility/mart - Carnaross and Ballyjamesduff would be our local approved marts.
    Edit - the cattle have to be resident in your herd number for over 30 days.

As far as i know if they are going for direct slaughter they only have to be tested within the last 12 months, but still have to pass through a DAFM approved export facility to be inspected by an Department Agriculture Officer and they have to have both tags. However if its for further feeding then they have to be tested within the last 30 days same as exporting to any other country.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Can someone turn on the heating outside ?
    I'm frozen.

• Advertisement

I'm frozen.

You'll melt.

See there was another farm death, a man in his 30s from Wexford. Rest in peace

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

emaherx wrote: »
    Inspections are back.

Had HSA inspection yesterday. She found plenty of minor issues, but nothig I wasn't aware of or working on already to be fair.

What sort of areas do the HSA look at ?

What sort of areas do the HSA look at ?

I'm sure they can look at anything.
    She walked through the yard with me, and looked at machinery, gates, and condition of buildings/ walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What happened in a council inspection:-(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I'm frozen.

Can someone turn it off, serious heat now

• Registered Users Posts: 4,806 ✭✭✭straight

emaherx wrote: »
    Inspections are back.

Sounds ok. I try to keep the place as safe as I can here and I think sometimes an outside pair of eyes can be no harm to point thinks out. Never had an inspection though so I don't know what they're like. Have a young family here and elderly parents knocking around too and I don't want to see anyone getting hurt.

straight wrote: »
    Sounds ok. I try to keep the place as safe as I can here and I think sometimes an outside pair of eyes can be no harm to point thinks out. Never had an inspection though so I don't know what they're like. Have a young family here and elderly parents knocking around too and I don't want to see anyone getting hurt.

I'm the same, I think no matter how safe you are they will have some recommendations. There is no where that can't be improved on. It was an unannounced inspection and there is always going to be something broken, she took note that I had parts already gotten for some of the nessacery repairs and wants photos and signed slip returned when work is complete. And I've got till October to do that.

straight wrote: »

Ye they say from the outset they are not here to penalise you just to point things out. They gave me a list and gave me a few weeks to sort them out. U guard on pto on tractor was one, mirrors on the digger

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Can someone turn it off, serious heat now

Leave it on. An inch of rain in the last 2 days.
    I need my neighbor to get my hay cut this weekend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ye they say from the outset they are not here to penalise you just to point things out. They gave me a list and gave me a few weeks to sort them out. U guard on pto on tractor was one, mirrors on the digger

Nothing wrong if that's their genuine attitude . Like a new pair of eyes have a look around is grand.

A HSA lad stopped years ago here and asked had I a registered scaffolder to put up 3 bays of scaffold down along a shed I was painting .

I told him no , but I wasn't going to be painting the shed off a ladder and it was the lessor of 2 evils.

There isn't a single job without some safety concern. its how you manage them and minimise them

I, saw today on agriland that they are starting a blitz, of inspections on Monday.

I, saw today on agriland that they are starting a blitz, of inspections on Monday.

Well, at least I shouldn't get one :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

So today at lunchtime looking out the kitchen window I see in the far neighbours field something reflecting in the sun. Silage bales says I? Binoculars took outa the drawer. Nosy hope I am but I like a bit of nature I do.

A car with two doors and boot lid open. Screw the binoculars to focus and here a couple starkers and at canine style as they say. My neighbour and a female who is not his wife.. What’s seen can’t be unseen unfortunately!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

People moan and moan about Ireland and how bad the services are.

Youngest, 12, had a bad toothache last night.

Rang the hse helpline this morning and she had an appointment within 40 minutes and tooth sorted for free with an appointment to come back again and have few other issues sorted, again, all for free.

Damn good service.

Jjameson wrote: »
    So today at lunchtime looking out the kitchen window I see in the far neighbours field something reflecting in the sun. Silage bales says I? Binoculars took outa the drawer. Nosy hope I am but I like a bit of nature I do.

A car with two doors and boot lid open. Screw the binoculars to focus and here a couple starkers and at canine style as they say. My neighbour and a female who is not his wife.. What’s seen can’t be unseen unfortunately!

Sheep farmers for ya!! :p:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

Well sure you saw nature in it's most raw form for sure

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What was she like..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

kevthegaff wrote: »
    What was she like..

Binoculars aren’t that strong but wrong hair colour and totally different to his wife. (I’m not claiming to have seen his wife in similar circumstances!!) But it was so unexpected, so random alls I could do was laugh. What I can’t fathom is how or where he met another woman as he’s a grumpy ape. Funny old world.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

:eek:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement