Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

How are you going to keep a straight face the next time you meet him.
    I think i’d burst out laughing when i meet him.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I have no problem once they were in good shape

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

tanko wrote: »
    How are you going to keep a straight face the next time you meet him.
    I think i’d burst out laughing when i meet him.

Trying to get my very amused wife to hold her water is going to be the problem now as I don’t want to be the source of the story.
    In terms of meeting him it’l be no problem as he’s a zero conversationalist, we have no real social links. Just passes by and would only reluctantly salute anybody. No charming ladies man I would have assumed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Jjameson wrote: »
    Trying to get my very amused wife to hold her water is going to be the problem now as I don’t want to be the source of the story.
    In terms of meeting him it’l be no problem as he’s a zero conversationalist, we have no real social links. Just passes by and would only reluctantly salute anybody. No charming ladies man I would have assumed.

A dark horse so, always expect the unexpected as they say.

Better living everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A no nonsense fellow who does the job and does it right.

What does he have for cheap talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

So today at lunchtime looking out the kitchen window I see in the far neighbours field something reflecting in the sun. Silage bales says I? Binoculars took outa the drawer. Nosy hope I am but I like a bit of nature I do.

A car with two doors and boot lid open. Screw the binoculars to focus and here a couple starkers and at canine style as they say. My neighbour and a female who is not his wife.. What’s seen can’t be unseen unfortunately!

I just told my missus the story....

Her reaction was (in order)
    1) the fcuking pr!ck!
    2) what kinda car was it?
    3) did he have silage cut?

She’s a keeper! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭grizzlyadams

Danzy wrote: »
    A no nonsense fellow who does the job and does it right.

What does he have for cheap talk.

A field in broad daylight......... swept off her feet 😅😅😅

I just told my missus the story....

Her reaction was (in order)
    1) the fcuking pr!ck!
    2) what kinda car was it?
    3) did he have silage cut?

She’s a keeper! :)

1) yes I kind of agree but it take two to tango
    2) a people carrier (assuredly hers)
    3) his silage is never done.

A field in broad daylight......... swept off her feet ������

She brought a blanket for the romance but romantic it wasn’t!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

As a local publican ( with a small little pub) was once heard to say "I haven't the biggest, but I have the busiest".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

A field in broad daylight......... swept off her feet ������

A broad .....a field.....delights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

So today at lunchtime looking out the kitchen window I see in the far neighbours field something reflecting in the sun. Silage bales says I? Binoculars took outa the drawer. Nosy hope I am but I like a bit of nature I do.

A car with two doors and boot lid open. Screw the binoculars to focus and here a couple starkers and at canine style as they say. My neighbour and a female who is not his wife.. What’s seen can’t be unseen unfortunately!

I think the question everybody is asking now .....

make and model of your binoculars ?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Eldest lad told me he thought 2 people were having an affair at his running club about 2 years ago. I said say nothing to anyone. Just before lockdown it came out about the affair when a friend of the mans wife told her what was going on. I feel no sorrow for both parties in the affair but the mans wife is the soundest woman you could meet and it really really hit her hard. There are no winners in an affair especially if there are kids there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Was just going to post it. Rip big fellow

Not only a legend in the world of football but a downright gentleman.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

whelan2 wrote: »
    Eldest lad told me he thought 2 people were having an affair at his running club about 2 years ago. I said say nothing to anyone. Just before lockdown it came out about the affair when a friend of the mans wife told her what was going on. I feel no sorrow for both parties in the affair but the mans wife is the soundest woman you could meet and it really really hit her hard. There are no winners in an affair especially if there are kids there.

Its the height of bolloxing with children involved, the party having the affair would be a lot better off to end whatever realitionship/marriage they were in the first day if they want to be playing around. My own mother did it when I was 10. It caused a serious amount of turmoil and arguments for a few years and it took me a long time to get over it and I'm probably still a little bit raw about it. My mother wasn't any better for it either when it was all said and done.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,768 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

emaherx wrote: »
    Well, at least I shouldn't get one :D

I won't either though I'm not a farmer:D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,889 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Its the height of bolloxing with children involved, the party having the affair would be a lot better off to end whatever realitionship/marriage they were in the first day if they want to be playing around. My own mother did it when I was 10. It caused a serious amount of turmoil and arguments for a few years and it took me a long time to get over it and I'm probably still a little bit raw about it. My mother wasn't any better for it either when it was all said and done.

+1 on all the above, it's not a nice situation for anyone involved but especially for those kept in the dark for so long about it all. From when I was a very small child I spent a lot of time with one of my uncle's. His now ex-wife who I'm told doted on me used to look after me when the uncle was at work and seemingly when I'd come back home I'd tell the auld pair that she had a neighbor man upstairs with her.

My own mother refuses to see any fault in family members and seemingly used to go off the head when this subject was brought up almost daily. My father who would be no way naive about most thing's said a child that age didn't tell lies like that (I'd be only maybe 5 at the time) and reckoned there had to be something to it all. He tells me that this went on for months until one day the uncle arrived back unexpected and caught his wife and neighbor in the act. That was the end of that marriage and sadly I never got to know the woman who treated me like her own son for the first few year's of my life. I have zero memory of all this but Dad does often tell me about it while my mother has developed amnesia about the whole episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Interesting tweet on US Ag being a net carbon sink since 1990. I would expect similar here when the newest research comes online in the next 2 years or so.
    https://twitter.com/drsplace/status/1280146312017727493?s=19

Any farming using minimal fossil fuels indirectly or directly should be championed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Any farming using minimal fossil fuels indirectly or directly should be championed.

It will be championed but only by the farmer singularly.
    State agencies won't champion it because big business won't benefit and the circular economy doesn't benefit.
    Supermarkets won't champion it bar they get the produce cheap and can sell it competitively.
    It's the farmer on his lonesome. The farmer also needs a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If a farmer sequesters carbon, the farmer should get the market price for it. Build that into their next round of CAP.

Water John wrote: »
    If a farmer sequesters carbon, the farmer should get the market price for it. Build that into their next round of CAP.

They'll give it all to Coillte and Bord na Mona though.
    Poor Johnny on his 50 acres will have to sell to the guy on a thousand acres of sequestering land and sequestering cheque in the post.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

They'll give it all to Coillte and Bord na Mona though.
    Poor Johnny on his 50 acres will have to sell to the guy on a thousand acres of sequestering land and sequestering cheque in the post.

Exactly and you can be sure that Dept of ad, Teagasc and IFA will be quite happy with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

It'll be the proving it correctly is the issue, having verifiable evidence. Teagasc had zoom meeting on carbon during the week and there will be issues ahead tbh. Surveying hedgrows and they not there, and a lot of which are more biodiversity rather than carbon sequestration in terms of advantages. Being able to take into account deeper depths of soils in terms of storage may help if they can get that thru. Solohead has been measuring soil carbon since 01 I think, been in grass since before 72 and increases were minimal, with large losses when reseeding even when tilling without ploughing. Field reached old levels 10 yrs later I think.
    Was kinda distracted listening but that was the gist of it, will take more work.

Mooooo wrote: »
    It'll be the proving it correctly is the issue, having verifiable evidence. Teagasc had zoom meeting on carbon during the week and there will be issues ahead tbh. Surveying hedgrows and they not there, and a lot of which are more biodiversity rather than carbon sequestration in terms of advantages. Being able to take into account deeper depths of soils in terms of storage may help if they can get that thru. Solohead has been measuring soil carbon since 01 I think, been in grass since before 72 and increases were minimal, with large losses when reseeding even when tilling without ploughing. Field reached old levels 10 yrs later I think.
    Was kinda distracted listening but that was the gist of it, will take more work.

I'll have to watch that.

Looking at the Copernicus satellite a while ago there was a function to switch to carbon or organic matter filter on it. Not 100% sure on it but I reckon an algorithm to observe changes should be able to be made. There's interests wanting to complicate the whole thing though out of pure self interest.

People reckoned before it took 100 years to build an inch of soil. There's farmers doing that now in a few years. Building up and down at the same time with the corresponding increase in carbon. The knowledge is there how to do it. It's not what you or me were taught though in this country.

How you build soil carbon is forget the sprays, forget phosphorous and nitrogen applied, only apply organic amendments that biology can eat, have diverse plants growing together, graze ruminants on the plants, and apply charged biochar.
    It's as simple as that. :pac:

I'll have to watch that.

Looking at the Copernicus satellite a while ago there was a function to switch to carbon or organic matter filter on it. Not 100% sure on it but I reckon an algorithm to observe changes should be able to be made. There's interests wanting to complicate the whole thing though out of pure self interest.

People reckoned before it took 100 years to build an inch of soil. There's farmers doing that now in a few years. Building up and down at the same time with the corresponding increase in carbon. The knowledge is there how to do it. It's not what you or me were taught though in this country.

How you build soil carbon is forget the sprays, forget phosphorous and nitrogen applied, only apply organic amendments that biology can eat, have diverse plants growing together, graze ruminants on the plants, and apply charged biochar.
    It's as simple as that. :pac:

Do you have a good site link to learn more or a good Youtube channel.

Danzy wrote: »
    Do you have a good site link to learn more or a good Youtube channel.

Not really online. Maybe the Nots clips from the Biofarm conferences and Richard Perkins is interesting too on YouTube.

The only way you'll really get the info is through books.
    David R Montgomery, Nicole Masters and a new one just out now by John Kempf.
    John Kempf is active on Twitter and FB.

Not really online. Maybe the Nots clips from the Biofarm conferences and Richard Perkins is interesting too on YouTube.

The only way you'll really get the info is through books.
    David R Montgomery, Nicole Masters and a new one just out now by John Kempf.
    John Kempf is active on Twitter and FB.

Thanks for that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 992 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Does anyone know if your allowed to close in a drainage ditch and leave a hedge in place along side it? Will you be fined etc.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement