Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Maybe.

But you'll be competing with the Chinese for land in 5 years.

This is the thing as well, with their beef factory plant plan, they'll also want to control the land and production, same as they do elsewhere, everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Danzy wrote: »
    This is the thing as well, with their beef factory plant plan, they'll also want to control the land and production, same as they do elsewhere, everywhere.

I was only codding but they do place a value on food and control.
    They have correct priorities.

https://www.businessworld.ie/agricultural-news/-400m-FDI-from-China-to-Ireland-launches-next-month-572350.html

Unlike our own shower who's main aim is to make money at all costs whether it being importing chicken from Thailand or bacon from Brazil and rebrand it as Made in Wicklow. And that's even without the horsemeat or polish beef. A shower of gangsters with an Irish farmer on the label.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I was only codding but they do place a value on food and control.
    They have correct priorities.

https://www.businessworld.ie/agricultural-news/-400m-FDI-from-China-to-Ireland-launches-next-month-572350.html

Unlike our own shower who's main aim is to make money at all costs whether it being importing chicken from Thailand or bacon from Brazil and rebrand it as Made in Wicklow. And that's even without the horsemeat or polish beef. A shower of gangsters with an Irish farmer on the label.

Many a true word spoke in jest.

The Chinese Government put an emphasis on control of food but it's quality is irrelevant to them.

Remember that powder milk scandal, killed lots of kids in China, they took all the powder that was pulled and sold it in the West of China, to non Han Chinese, let those ****ers take their chances.

On average a million farmers a year in China are kicked off their land as it is claimed by the State. Sold to friends, developers, the people working it left starve.

Their best day will never reach the height of our worse day.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Chinese factory inspections last week were, quality control, checking factories were clean and that meat could be exported from them. For the Chinese the decision to import is a Govn't to Govn't decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Heard that TB testing was once paid by Dept
    When did farmers start paying for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Danzy wrote: »

On average a million farmers a year in China are kicked off their land as it is claimed by the State. Sold to friends, developers, the people working it left starve.

Their best day will never reach the height of our worse day.

I recently spoke to a girl, born in Ireland, of Chinese parents. She said her parents came to Ireland after her grandparents Lychee and Apricot farm was seized. They were left destitute without any compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Heard that TB testing was once paid by Dept
    When did farmers start paying for it?

The Dept pay fees to VP, except for private tests, see page 11 attached.

https://www.agriculture.gov.ie/media/migration/animalhealthwelfare/diseasecontrols/tuberculosistbandbrucellosis/eradpvps/ER42019191218.pdf

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Generally a farmer will pay for their annual herd test, unless it finds reactors- in which case they pay for their clearance test instead. Other testing during the course of the year due to local problems is paid by the Dept, again, inless it shows reactors.

I can't remember when the change came in but it came as the same time as when a clear test allowed a 12 month time to sell.

Could be about 15-20 years ago at a guess.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

I'd give them as much as they could eat for the next month. Mine are being right stubborn this year and only a few of them are going into the feeder for me.

No point feeding calves calves 200 kilos heavier are making similar money, the lighter the better 380kilos or less

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

greysides wrote: »
    Generally a farmer will pay for their annual herd test, unless it finds reactors- in which case they pay for their clearance test instead. Other testing during the course of the year due to local problems is paid by the Dept, again, inless it shows reactors.

I can't remember when the change came in but it came as the same time as when a clear test allowed a 12 month time to sell.

Would be over 20 years ago. Vet tried to charge me for second TB test here , I did not pay for it. He was trying to pull a fast one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

greysides wrote: »

I think Ivan Yates was the minister at the time so some where mid 1990's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,662 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Maybe.

But you'll be competing with the Chinese for land in 5 years.

A distant relative of mine pulled a fast one on them a few years back. He sold them a kiwi plantation in NZ for about 5x times it's value. He also owned the company that packed the fruit, and had a contract to buy the fruit off the farm for 5 years at a grossly inflated price included in the deal. So on paper the kiwi plantation looked extremely profitable for the first 5 years.

He has been in hiding since:eek:.

Maybe Larry is trying to pull off a similar deal, showing them how cheaply beef really is in Ireland;)

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

It's gas though. Wrangler was going on about on a farmer tour of the factories how they'd nearly have to leave their phones at the door for fear they take a sneaky picture.
    And then the factories show the Chinese all about the places and probably show what spanner fits which nut.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

It's gas though. Wrangler was going on about on a farmer tour of the factories how they'd nearly have to leave their phones at the door for fear they take a sneaky picture.
    And then the factories show the Chinese all about the places and probably show what spanner fits which nut.

Yeah but what was he showing them. Day to day operations or the inspection operations

Reggie. wrote: »
    Yeah but what was he showing them. Day to day operations or the inspection operations

It could have been the account books for all we know...

All we as outsiders know is that they got to see stock being killed on the line.
    I doubt they told them.."Sorry chaps no recording allowed".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

I’m with 3 network at the moment with a sim only plan. I want to set up a new business plan and add in an extra phone. Any suggestions on networks ? A 3 business plan is €45/ month + VAT. I’ll get an iPhone 8 or a Samsung S10E.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I’m with 3 network at the moment with a sim only plan. I want to set up a new business plan and add in an extra phone. Any suggestions on networks ? A 3 business plan is €45/ month + VAT. I’ll get an iPhone 8 or a Samsung S10E.

might be worth asking over in the mobile forum

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=411

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭einn32

You have much reception issues with 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭davidk1394

einn32 wrote: »
    You have much reception issues with 3?

I’ve had issues a number of years ago when O2 was switching to 3. No issues with them the last few years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

I’ve had issues a number of years ago when O2 was switching to 3. No issues with them the last few years

I had the same experience during the changeover, but couldn’t fault them now. Can’t remember last time I had poor reception. Probably during Ophelia, but that could be forgiven due to lack of electricity for the local mast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

With all the depressing talk about beef prices, this might give you a laugh;

https://twitter.com/cctv_idiots/status/1171135323432263681

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

Another positive.... dredging of the Shannon has begun in Mellick Co. Galway. €9m allocated for the project. That coupled with the cessation of BnM willhave very positive ramifications for many farmers, myself included.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

Muckit wrote: »
    Another positive.... dredging of the Shannon has begun in Mellick Co. Galway. €9m allocated for the project. That coupled with the cessation of BnM willhave very positive ramifications for many farmers, myself included.

Allowing what’s left of the bogs to soak up excess rain water should be a major help.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

With all the depressing talk about beef prices, this might give you a laugh;

https://twitter.com/cctv_idiots/status/1171135323432263681

Reminds me of the Gorrilla in the parents hotel room from Jackass 2:D

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Muckit wrote: »

Restoring the BNM bogs and maintaining proper silt traps till then is the only way this money will make any difference

Bass made this comment on the strike thread
    Teagasc have a point too many lads strip graze this time of year instead to paddock grazing. Grass land management is not as good as it should be. Too many lads set stocking or giving cattle the run of the place

What’s the issue with strip grazing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Teagasc have a point too many lads strip graze this time of year instead to paddock grazing. Grass land management is not as good as it should be. Too many lads set stocking or giving cattle the run of the place

They also recommend back fencing to protect regrowth.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

They also recommend back fencing to protect regrowth.

Easy to know their not putting up the fences

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭148multi

Always found strip grazing a great way to utilise heavy covers.

• Advertisement

148multi wrote: »
    Always found strip grazing a great way to utilise heavy covers.

Strip grazing the meadows here before closing

With all this rain it the only place that wouldn’t get cut up

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement