Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Did anyone ever see a calf with maggots before? I had one here yesterday on her hind quarter. The horrible yokes had burrowed in nearly the length of my finger, bulling I hadn't spotted it sooner but never before heard of it to happen a calf.

Did anyone ever see a calf with maggots before? I had one here yesterday on her hind quarter. The horrible yokes had burrowed in nearly the length of my finger, bulling I hadn't spotted it sooner but never before heard of it to happen a calf.

I once saw a video of a hairy breed beast with them. I have a vague thought about reading something to do with calves having them around the back passage but I don't remember where in the world or why they had them.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

New one for me. Was there an injury? Was she dirty?

I once saw a cow after a caesarean get maggots. Vets advice was to give her ivermectin.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Did everyone see the pictures of the Brown Booby in Greystones?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Always happens and especially when you’re under pressure
    Hope the go well for you

The 3 bullocks are sold anyway.

2 red limos 365kg @€;990
    1 black limo 325km @730

Small bit of Crunch in winter but didn’t see any improvement, only improved on grass.

Happy with those prices.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

Had a heifer down here after a hard calving 2 years ago. She was down over a week and she got maggots around the back passage. I bathed it and sprayed it with alamycin blue spray for a couple of days. No bother after.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Had a bullock here years ago that got maggots on it's head. We had bought him and the last idiot left a bit of baling twine on his head after polling. He had grown away and the twine had cut into his head. We didn't know what was wrong with him as he was walking around swinging his head. Vet called and he spotted it.
    I put him in and bathed it in Jeyes Fluid (at the time it was the done thing) for a few days after. He made a full recovery.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Had a bullock here years ago that got maggots on it's head. We had bought him and the last idiot left a bit of baling twine on his head after polling. He had grown away and the twine had cut into his head. We didn't know what was wrong with him as he was walking around swinging his head. Vet called and he spotted it.
    I put him in and bathed it in Jeyes Fluid (at the time it was the done thing) for a few days after. He made a full recovery.

We always used a jeyes fluid mix on maggots in sheep when I was younger.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Grueller wrote: »
    Had a heifer down here after a hard calving 2 years ago. She was down over a week and she got maggots around the back passage. I bathed it and sprayed it with alamycin blue spray for a couple of days. No bother after.

A neighbour cut off three fingers with the postdriver lately, I don't think he dropped the weight on it, it seemed it was the rope or something, anyway the wound was ful of oil and dirt, St james hospital used maggots to clean the wound.
    So even maggots have their uses

We always used a jeyes fluid mix on maggots in sheep when I was younger.

My father used to do the same until the vet told him that it stops the healing, , we used salt and water after that , we used dip in the knapsack sprayer to prevent them. The good old days when there was plenty of organophosphorous around

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Base price wrote: »
    TBH I've never needed to clean a tag to read it in all my years farming, although the numbers can be somewhat obscured by hairy ears.

I like the idea of a animal having its own individual passport that is overseen by DAFM. In a way it makes them more tangible, as I have 100 cattle and therefore have 100 passports that reflect those individual animals. I think we are too focused on quick fix technology to suit who? notwithstanding that EID tags suit some farming enterprises but it doesn't suit others. If we go down this route then I think we loose the personal link with our livestock and they just become commercial entities.

Going back to the tags has anyone ever used a barcode reader on the barcode on cattle tags? I always wondered what purpose it served.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

ganmo wrote: »
    Going back to the tags has anyone ever used a barcode reader on the barcode on cattle tags? I always wondered what purpose it served.

Yes

We scan the barcode for tagging/ registering new born calves.(scan the tag before tagging)

Most apps now support the feature.

orm0nd wrote: »
    Yes

We scan the barcode for tagging/ registering new born calves.(scan the tag before tagging)

Will it scan a dirty tag

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

orm0nd wrote: »
    Yes

What app do you use?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Saw this earlier on twitter. I went snorkelling here before. Like a coral reef with the amount of fish there.

Keem Bay, mayo
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ec05gLPWkAIIqYU?format=jpg&name=medium

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Saw this earlier on twitter. I went snorkelling here before. Like a coral reef with the amount of fish there.

Keem Bay, mayo
    https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ec05gLPWkAIIqYU?format=jpg&name=medium

Heading to Achill for 8 nights in a few weeks.
    Haven’t been in probably 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

_Brian wrote: »
    Heading to Achill for 8 nights in a few weeks.
    Haven’t been in probably 25 years.
    Will you be camping?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Sending yearlings to the Mart today. One boyo managed to loose a tag from the field to the shed last night so has been granted a reprieve.

happened here, a while back. Got a yellow fly tag, trimmed it down to a small circle, and used it to tag the front and back of the broken tag on his ear. Never heard anything back about it either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

wrangler wrote: »
    Will it scan a dirty tag

dunno never tried

What app do you use?

herd app now ( previously used herd watch ) I'm also sure the free Dept. free calf reg app scans as well

https://www.agrinet.ie/Herd/agrinet-Herd-App?gclid=CjwKCAjwr7X4BRA4EiwAUXjbt7nK9XTgHvI6_FDocwSkUHvQtGcMt80TnZfbJtxunqRwFpvyq-L6cxoCaKMQAvD_BwE

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,767 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Barry Cowan got the bullet

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Who will be the new Minister of Agriculture, Dara Calleary looks the most likely. Two weeks is a long time in politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,446 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Unreal

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

See that
    Is it fair either

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

See that
    Is it fair either

Politics is a dirty business. Who went digging in the Garda vaults and why? Who didn’t want him in the job and why?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,741 ✭✭✭CloughCasey1

Jjameson wrote: »
    Politics is a dirty business. Who went digging in the Garda vaults and why? Who didn’t want him in the job and why?

Are you sure you weren't out with your binoculars again digging up dirt!! First the neighbours, now you've toppled the minister for Ag. ; )

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Are you sure you weren't out with your binoculars again digging up dirt!! First the neighbours, now you've toppled the minister for Ag. ; )

They haven’t the range for more than a bit of dogging!
    And my Garda pulse hacking skills are rusty so that rules me out!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Wee brendan for minister for ag. Do ye remember him

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

2nd chance and all that. We're a forgiving people after all aren't we.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭jfh

st swithin's day today lads, looking good for the next 40 days

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement