Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,805 ✭✭✭straight

might not be to bad. car here was 160 to get front wheel bearing done and discs could be 100e a corner plus fitting depending on make and model. pads all around 60 euro plus for materials and some engine oils are crazy prices add on half days labour or more and it might be to bad

But were the discs and pads actually gone? That's the question. I've put 100,000 miles on discs after being told they were dangerous. I change pads when they're down to the rivets or v close.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,415 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Think there was a threshold years back also. I'm talking about 20 years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭roosterman71

tanko wrote: »
    Let me guess, was the work done at a main stealers??

Yeah, main dealers. Going there since I got the car. Usually around 2/250 for the service
    naughto wrote: »
    That seems like a lot even with the work carried out I'd be expecting 300/400 max
    Parts were more than that. Checked on micksgarage.ie for prices, and cheaper there alright by about 15%
    straight wrote: »
    It's amazing that every time I take my car to a main stealer it need brakes and discs and a big long list of repairs. I generally say no and the next service there can be a different list of essential repairs and then it goes and passes the NCT
    Can't say that's been my experience
    might not be to bad. car here was 160 to get front wheel bearing done and discs could be 100e a corner plus fitting depending on make and model. pads all around 60 euro plus for materials and some engine oils are crazy prices add on half days labour or more and it might be to bad

Labour was 200. Rest parts and things. Oil is crazy price alright
    straight wrote: »
    But were the discs and pads actually gone? That's the question. I've put 100,000 miles on discs after being told they were dangerous. I change pads when they're down to the rivets or v close.

155k kms, discs were probably gone or getting there. Dunno about the pads. Can't find the invoice from the last few services to see when they were done last. Brakes much better now though. Wheel bearing was the biggest pain in the hole. I've been putting that off for a couple of years though. It wasn't gone, but was rough and sounded it too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Water John wrote: »
    Think there was a threshold years back also. I'm talking about 20 years ago.

just logged on to agfood

the threshold for us is approx 15-20% more than we'll need.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

orm0nd wrote: »
    just logged on to agfood

the threshold for us is approx 15-20% more than we'll need.

Same here

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭giveitholly

whelan2 wrote: »
    Same here

You should be celebrating tonight!!!

Was a good game tonight. I wanted tickets to that game but they were sold out as soon as the fixtures came out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

:D

I may be drunk.

But I'll check in the morning just to be sure:pac:

• Advertisement

:D

I may be drunk.

But I'll check in the morning just to be sure:pac:

I only got back from kids training at half 9. Enjoyed the night when man city and Chelsea played to mean we won.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,497 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I ordered the book 'Farmers of Forty Centuries' nearly 14 days ago online and it hasn't arrived yet.
    I hope I won't be Forty Centuries waiting on it!!

*I'll get my coat.

Edit: Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the author brought the concept of silage making to the western world having taken it from his journeys in Asia?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I ordered the book 'Farmers of Forty Centuries' nearly 14 days ago online and it hasn't arrived yet.
    I hope I won't be Forty Centuries waiting on it!!

*I'll get my coat.

Edit: Someone correct me if I'm wrong but I think the author brought the concept of silage making to the western world having taken it from his journeys in Asia?

It's on Kindle for £1.97. Straight to your phone:pac:

It's on Kindle for £1.97. Straight to your phone:pac:

Don't like reading on my phone.

Yes I'm aware of what I'm doing right now! :p

Anyway the author invented the cylindrical silage tower. No plastic or clamping needed.
    https://www.fwi.co.uk/machinery/dorset-farmer-opts-old-school-auto-feeding-silage-tower

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Bullocks wrote: »
    Why are they doing that ?

The only thing that I could think of was to stop cutting out tags of stolen cattle

ganmo wrote: »
    The only thing that I could think of was to stop cutting out tags of stolen cattle

It's new tags for new borns though.
    So unless there's gangs stealing calves.

Whatever the reason they thought they needed more control of a situation (imaginary or otherwise) and it's gone that way now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It's new tags for new borns though.
    So unless there's gangs stealing calves.

Whatever the reason they thought they needed more control of a situation (imaginary or otherwise) and it's gone that way now.
    I reckon it's setting us up for mandatory EID tags in two years time by ensuring that we can only order "x" number of tags and facilitating a smoother transition.

Base price wrote: »
    I reckon it's setting us up for mandatory EID tags in two years time by ensuring that we can only order "x" number of tags and facilitating a smoother transition.
    I came across this - "To enhance food safety and better safeguard animal health in the EU from 18 July 2019, bovine animals will be allowed to be identified using two means of the identifications: conventional ear tag and an electronic identifier. EU countries and operators may choose the electronic identifier amongst e.g. an electronic ear tag, a ruminal bolus or an injectable transponder."
    https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/identification/bovine_en

• Registered Users Posts: 4,024 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I came across this - "To enhance food safety and better safeguard animal health in the EU from 18 July 2019, bovine animals will be allowed to be identified using two means of the identifications: conventional ear tag and an electronic identifier. EU countries and operators may choose the electronic identifier amongst e.g. an electronic ear tag, a ruminal bolus or an injectable transponder."
    https://ec.europa.eu/food/animals/identification/bovine_en
    Will they bring in DNA tagging at the same time too?

• Advertisement

Will they bring in DNA tagging at the same time too?
    I presume they can use the BVD samples to DNA if needed.

Maybe they should just sort out the whole bvd testing thing before trying anything else

Currently don’t/can’t

whelan2 wrote: »
    Maybe they should just sort out the whole bvd testing thing before trying anything else

Is there many PI calves anymore?

Making a few gates for the shed
    What’s the best paint to use?

Is there many PI calves anymore?
    620 positive and 555 PI. Plenty of info here - http://animalhealthireland.ie/?page_id=229

620 positive and 555 PI. Plenty of info here - http://animalhealthireland.ie/?page_id=229

That’s allot considering we’ve been testing for along time

Did anyone get tags to test the older cattle?

That’s allot considering we’ve been testing for along time

Did anyone get tags to test the older cattle?
    What age would the ones that were not tested be now.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,980 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Had 5 calves with high reading I put down after never having one. Neighbour had a few two years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

See Eamon has held the leadership of the greens. Really surprised by that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement