Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

Nice to see the greens in the headlines for all the right reasons today ðŸ˜

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Just off the phone with eldest in Melbourne and he said that it's now mandatory to wear masks on the building sites and keep social distancing to 1.5m. The masks have to be a certain standard as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Base price wrote: »
    I presume they can use the BVD samples to DNA if needed.

https://twitter.com/farmersjournal/status/1286558988700733446?s=19

I thought that the genomic scheme only applies to participating suckler herds. I don't know if sheep flocks are included in the scheme.

Base price wrote: »
    I thought that the genomic scheme only applies to participating suckler herds. I don't know if sheep flocks are included in the scheme.

The tagging of calves will continue on beyond the BVD scheme.

The last 2 years has seen an expanded trial on genomic testing all calves from participating herds. The official line is to correct the parentage of the calves and have a data base of the identity of all calves born for checking on the swapping of tags on stolen cattle and reduce cases like the dumping of calves mentioned above.

It just feels like we have bought into another layer of bureaucracy willingly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

The tagging of calves will continue on beyond the BVD scheme.

The last 2 years has seen an expanded trial on genomic testing all calves from participating herds. The official line is to correct the parentage of the calves and have a data base of the identity of all calves born for checking on the swapping of tags on stolen cattle and reduce cases like the dumping of calves mentioned above.

It just feels like we have bought into another layer of bureaucracy willingly.

I've no issue with the genomic testing of calves to stop rustling, fraud and dumping of calves. Could never understand why in the BDGP scheme we couldn't have gotten 2 sample tags at birth rather than having to catch strong calves later after they have been let out to graze often to outfarms with poorer handling facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,023 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

emaherx wrote: »
    I've no issue with the genomic testing of calves to stop rustling, fraud and dumping of calves. Could never understand why in the BDGP scheme we couldn't have gotten 2 sample tags at birth rather than having to catch strong calves later after they have been let out to graze often to outfarms with poorer handling facilities.
    We’re in the Green Breed program and that’s what we do.
    The DNA has to be verified before you can register the calf
    There’s allot of cattle where the sire is unknown

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Does this all mean tag sampling for all calves born when 1st tagged is going to continue on indefinitely

cute geoge wrote: »
    Does this all mean tag sampling for all calves born when 1st tagged is going to continue on indefinitely

It looks like what's going to happen atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

cute geoge wrote: »

I'd say almost definitely, another cost ( tags, TB testing, BVD testing etc) that weve sleepwalked into that wasnt there years ago. ( and no re benefit to bottom line as far as i can see)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,123 ✭✭✭davidk1394

Would anyone know if these old red bricks are worth anything or of use to anyone?

This might bring a few memories back for some of the more seasoned boardsies ;)

davidk1394 wrote: »
    I remember the smell - like rotten cabbage. I think it was the organophosphates.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

God 1972. I saw the cows running mad with tails up in the air last week. Similar to how they'd run years ago when Warble would be after them.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Would anyone know if these old red bricks are worth anything or of use to anyone?

To the right man, they would be.

The trouble is finding the right man.

To the right man, they would be.

The trouble is finding the right man.

I'll stack them in the corner of a yard and see if there's any interest. As a fella said to me "they won't go off"

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

I'll stack them in the corner of a yard and see if there's any interest. As a fella said to me "they won't go off"

maybe stick them on dondeal ,

saw a very nice feature in a lawn some time built with old bricks

an old type well with bucket and hoist

https://www.donedeal.ie/buildingmaterials?words=salvage

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I remember as a kid running the chemical down their backs, remember getting some of it on my shirt, transferred off an animal to the top bar of the crush.
    Red rash and sick as a dog for 24 hours afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Dangerous stuff.
    Yeah the tail shooting up straight, is not a sight you'd generally see now.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Just back from football. Friday nights off during lockdown are missed already.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Till be all worth it when they bring sam to the wee county in time to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

whelan2 wrote: »
    Just back from football. Friday nights off during lockdown are missed already.

Long gone here into our 3rd week of training
    Under 12 girls football on Monday
    Under 15 boys hurling on Tuesday
    Under 14 girls football on Wednesday
    Minor boys Hurling and Under 12s camoige on Thursday
    Matches Friday Saturday Sunday.

Junior and intermediate training and matches as well during these weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

dzer2 wrote: »
    Long gone here into our 3rd week of training
    Under 12 girls football on Monday
    Under 15 boys hurling on Tuesday
    Under 14 girls football on Wednesday
    Minor boys Hurling and Under 12s camoige on Thursday
    Matches Friday Saturday Sunday.

Junior and intermediate training and matches as well during these weeks

They could be at worse. At least their not sitting on their butts playing consoles

• Registered Users Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Nice to see the greens in the headlines for all the right reasons today ðŸ˜

They took down their resign button on their website and you have to send an e-mail now stating your intentions instead.

These are the fellas you'd want running the country.
    Tipperary's own Billionaire brothers Patrick and John Collison.
    https://www.independent.ie/business/irish/rich-list-2019/profiles/patrick-and-john-collison-37749070.html

Well maybe not. But there's a **** load of money made there.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They're from Limerick.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,492 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Water John wrote: »
    They're from Limerick.

Are you sure about that?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Are you sure about that?

Born Limerick and raised Dromineer, Tipperary

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

They're from Castletroy in Limerick. When they were starting off they were refused a grant from a local authority there.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Our Farming life on BBC 2 at the moment, very interesting history of northern farming.
    Wouldn't like to go back to that type of farming

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement