Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Alot more characters about back in them days. All very serious now

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ruwithme wrote: »
    Alot more characters about back in them days. All very serious now

Richard Creith was a champion motorcycle rider in the 60s,, I met his son John, who also motorcycle raced, on a sun holiday years ago . A wild man then, alas I was able to drink then too.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Was first night back with one of the football teams last night , we were walking towards the pitch and we met another mother driving in. She had a big wave for us but she hit the gate post on the back passenger side and busted the tyre on her 201 car :cool: AA came out and put the crappy replacement tyre on. Lucky she didnt scrape the car

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Stood om a big bastard of a nail today when taking down a post and rail fence. Was on the phone at the time and wasn't minding where I was walking. Up through the sole of the welly and in. Knocked me to the floor. Pushed the timber with nail out with the other foot and hobbled to the tractor and home. Soaked in dettol then, and at it again now. Fair sore dose. Was a cleanish nail, straight out of the fence. No idea how deep it went in but I wouldn't say too far

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Stood om a big bastard of a nail today when taking down a post and rail fence. Was on the phone at the time and wasn't minding where I was walking. Up through the sole of the welly and in. Knocked me to the floor. Pushed the timber with nail out with the other foot and hobbled to the tractor and home. Soaked in dettol then, and at it again now. Fair sore dose. Was a cleanish nail, straight out of the fence. No idea how deep it went in but I wouldn't say too far

Tetanus jab would be no harm if you haven't already one in a few years

• Advertisement

Probably should have a tetanus shot if you're not up to date

Bullocks wrote: »
    Tetanus jab would be no harm if you haven't already one in a few years
    wrangler wrote: »
    Probably should have a tetanus shot if you're not up to date

I was thinking that. Is that a GP jobby or A&E?

I'd head for A and E, Those puncture wounds are dangerous

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

At this hour of the evening I'd say A&E might be as handy but our GP gave me my last one I think

Out of hours doctor might do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah the A & E nurses like to see farmers. They're usually stoic about their injuries and as tough as nails. Couldn't resist the pun. Do go and get the shot and wound cleaned. Don't forget your mask.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

Did the same a couple of years ago. It was a steel nail. Went to the doc. he asked me did I sterilise the nail before jumping on it. Tetanus jab so

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Dad did the same last year & was out of action for quite a while. He got an infection in it too as dirt obv went up the puncture would & the flesh closed behind it. Just be cautious with it, keep an eye out for swelling & tautness of the skin and tetanus jab asap which it sounds like you're going for anyway.

Just back from Midoc in Tullamore. Very quiet in there. In fact, I was the only one in the waiting room. Tetanus shot in the arse, no meds and keep the wound clean. Great chat then with the nurse and receptionist.

Got me thinking, on a more usual Saturday evening (think 6 months ago), that service would be busting at the seams. Be no time for chit chat. Just in & out. Was nice and chilled in there and staff had time to do their job to perfection with care and attention instead of trying to horse through people who really, most likely, didn't need to be there

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Just back from Midoc in Tullamore. Very quiet in there. In fact, I was the only one in the waiting room. Tetanus shot in the arse, no meds and keep the wound clean. Great chat then with the nurse and receptionist.

Got me thinking, on a more usual Saturday evening (think 6 months ago), that service would be busting at the seams. Be no time for chit chat. Just in & out. Was nice and chilled in there and staff had time to do their job to perfection with care and attention instead of trying to horse through people who really, most likely, didn't need to be there

Less people out getting hammered in the town

• Registered Users Posts: 4,804 ✭✭✭straight

Some of us would say that you didn't need to be there either but better safe than sorry I guess. You did the smart thing but when I got a similar injury last year I was too lazy to bother going. Took a long time to heal. The swelling was the worst.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Between 2000 and 2015 there were twelve cases of tetanus in Ireland with two deaths. I wonder how many farmers are up to date with their vaccination?

Other side is though there are probably people who should be presenting themselves and are not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Between 2000 and 2015 there were twelve cases of tetanus in Ireland with two deaths. I wonder how many farmers are up to date with their vaccination?

Iirc, you're only supposed to get 3 in your lifetime. Our eldest stood on a nail earlier this year and got the tetanus shot but was told to wait at least 10 years before getting another.

straight wrote: »
    Some of us would say that you didn't need to be there either but better safe than sorry I guess. You did the smart thing but when I got a similar injury last year I was too lazy to bother going. Took a long time to heal. The swelling was the worst.

I'd have no problem going, you're paying well for it in your taxes.
    I've been in A and E twice since the Covid , I knew both times that I was wasting their time, GP told me to go in, he's very thorough and I don't want him to change from that. they lose interest if you don't do as they ask.
    A friend who is a nurse will always says ''Comply or die''

• Advertisement

Iirc, you're only supposed to get 3 in your lifetime. Our eldest stood on a nail earlier this year and got the tetanus shot but was told to wait at least 10 years before getting another.

Feck, I've already had 3 at around 8, 18 & 29 :pac:
    Doesn't it come as a booster thingy in a school injection too?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

i don’t think that limit of three is correct. I’ve probably had twice that, I was very accident prone. .

If you have a number iver a short time it gives what they consider long term immunity.

_Brian wrote: »
    i don’t think that limit of three is correct. I’ve probably had twice that, I was very accident prone. .

If you have a number iver a short time it gives what they consider long term immunity.

HSE website says this so :confused:
    A total of five doses of tetanus toxoid containing vaccine at the appropriate intervals are considered to give lifelong immunity. Recovery from tetanus may not result in immunity, and vaccination following tetanus is indicated.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Acquiescence

Passed a young lad on the road this morning on the way to milk, drowned to the skin, I'd say he'd walked from the city judging by the cut of him. A good 10km. I'd say twas some night!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I had the tetanus jab in my youth, at 17 and two years ago. So that’s the end for me too?

Does that mean your immune or just Goosed if you get another.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,567 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I had the tetanus jab in my youth, at 17 and two years ago. So that’s the end for me too?

Neither.
    If you get a deep or dirty wound they will give you another.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Think tetanus shot lasts for about 10 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Mossie1975 wrote: »
    Think tetanus shot lasts for about 10 years.

That’s right- Buford was saying you only get 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

That’s right- Buford was saying you only get 3

We were told 3 but Lady H above has a link saying 5.

• Advertisement

We were told 3 but Lady H above has a link saying 5.

Aye but don't we get it twice (or three times) when we're children as inclusive boosters so perhaps that's not counted in the three you're told?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement