Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

whelan2 wrote: »
    Jan o Sullivan was a teacher too she was crap, Joe mc Hugh was a teacher he was crap......the whole leaving cert disaster was terrible. It's not the teachers that are the problem its the unions.

Education has got its extra money now
    As with insurance, we've been paying too much for public service,
    Hopefully , like insurance, we ill get fair play when there's an crisis,
    Everyone that's self employed has gone the extra mile so far in this emergency.
    The small supermarket owners are the real frontlines

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

wrangler wrote: »

Daughter has been working in local shop since lockdown started. Never idle. I dont know what they'll do when all the kids that are working there do eventually go back to school. Shop owners are very on the ball with covid measures etc. They will deliver to elderly etc

Daughter has been working in local shop since lockdown started. Never idle. I dont know what they'll do when all the kids that are working there do eventually go back to school. Shop owners are very on the ball with covid measures etc. They will deliver to elderly etc

And not a word outa them. I've a nephew with a small supermarket, did a lot of business during covid as you say, yet customers are going back to cheaper shops now and he works so hard

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭selectamatic

Jan o Sullivan was a teacher too she was crap, Joe mc Hugh was a teacher he was crap......the whole leaving cert disaster was terrible. It's not the teachers that are the problem its the unions.

The teachers unions didn't want the LC cancelled either. The government bowed to media opinion pieces and a dodgey survey by a student union.

It was apparently unsafe to do the LC now but it's fine to go back pretty much as normal in 4 weeks.

We have never funded education correctly or sufficiently. That's why we've a shocking high class size and poorly developed infrastructure.

I'll happily "go the extra mile" in a few weeks returning to work as a primary school teacher in a rural school but I'm in my 20s and in perfect physical condition so I'm not really vulnerable.

The teachers who are 50+ and working in the greater Dublin region are going to be the real canaries in the coal mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The teachers unions didn't want the LC cancelled either. The government bowed to media opinion pieces and a dodgey survey by a student union.

It was apparently unsafe to do the LC now but it's fine to go back pretty much as normal in 4 weeks.

We have never funded education correctly or sufficiently. That's why we've a shocking high class size and poorly developed infrastructure.

I'll happily "go the extra mile" in a few weeks returning to work as a primary school teacher in a rural school but I'm in my 20s and in perfect physical condition so I'm not really vulnerable.

The teachers who are 50+ and working in the greater Dublin region are going to be the real canaries in the coal mine.

Some people have an axe to grind over all public services but I bet they’re there with their crocodile smiles when they need help. Feckin two faced hypocrisy

• Advertisement

Neighbour had his herd test today. 18 calves on his herd profile that he never owned :eek:

Neighbour had his herd test today. 18 calves on his herd profile that he never owned :eek:

Bad form.
    I was helping a guy one day for a department herd test as he’d been found with irregularities.

I ran a cow up the crush and she wasn’t in his herd.

He’d bought it off his brother and forgot to do transfer.

Strong words ensued, I went off for a walk and let them at it. Went back when raised voices eased off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

_Brian wrote: »
    Bad form.
    I was helping a guy one day for a department herd test as he’d been found with irregularities.

I ran a cow up the crush and she wasn’t in his herd.

He’d bought it off his brother and forgot to do transfer.

Strong words ensued, I went off for a walk and let them at it. Went back when raised voices eased off.

I've a neighbour who registers his cattle as he's about to sell them.

He sells them at around a year old. It's kinda funny seeing a 14 day old calf coming in at 400kgs:pac:

I think the Dept have given up on him as he's only a few years from retirement.

Cabinet ministers to take 10% pay cut

Cabinet ministers to take 10% pay cut

Tokenism

They seriously misread public sentiment handing out €16k pay rise to super junior minister.

Then saying “shur we couldn’t have them on different pay for same job”. Really !! How about all the new entrant contracts to public service on different pay levels ?? Will they all be brought up too ?? I bet not.

They are floundering badly.

Now we’re checking for social welfare status at airports but it’s too difficult to check someone’s temperature !!

It’s sickening, they’re handing the next election to the shinners with every turn they make.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,413 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Ah now, if you're drawing PUP and heading off, little sympathy from me.

Absolutely, public reps are paid too much in Ireland.

Tokenism

They seriously misread public sentiment handing out €16k pay rise to super junior minister.

Then saying “shur we couldn’t have them on different pay for same job”. Really !! How about all the new entrant contracts to public service on different pay levels ?? Will they all be brought up too ?? I bet not.

They are floundering badly.

Now we’re checking for social welfare status at airports but it’s too difficult to check someone’s temperature !!

It’s sickening, they’re handing the next election to the shinners with every turn they make.

Election please, this lot can bugger off.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I've a neighbour who registers his cattle as he's about to sell them.

He sells them at around a year old. It's kinda funny seeing a 14 day old calf coming in at 400kgs:pac:

I think the Dept have given up on him as he's only a few years from retirement.

I've encountered a few lads with similar mindsets over the year's. It also allowed them to sell them without a TB test as they were under 42 days old on paper. One man in particular used to have 500kg+ bull's at 3 months old, they were in the rushes for a few months.

You'll see the same with suckler teams from time to time, a cow with a "month" old weanling at foot and announced as 3-4 months back incalf to the same bull. If the new owner tries to register the next calf on time he's out of luck due to the 300 day rule. The reverse of what Whelan noted above is that someone else is 18 calves short on there profile. I'm assuming they were bought in as oftentimes stock are transfered into the wrong herd number in the mart office and it's not noticed until one of the 2 parties involved has a herd test.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I was watching the on-line mart at Carnew there on Saturday. Saw a 400 kg weanling selling and he born this spring. Surely those weights and age trigger an alarm automatically on the department system.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

A bit different. A local historian put out the call on Facebook to revive a gathering on an old now disused mountain pass between Carlow and Wexford on the Blackstairs Mountain.
    Back in history it was called Mountain Sunday or Fraughan Sunday held in July every year. The Carlow people would come up from their side and the Wexford, well from their side.
    I was at one in the 80's. It fell by the wayside after that.
    I wasn't at this new revived one yesterday.

But anyway. This was yesterday up on the border on a little mountain track.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1212001565823958&id=311674279190029

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I was watching the on-line mart at Carnew there on Saturday. Saw a 400 kg weanling selling and he born this spring. Surely those weights and age trigger an alarm automatically on the department system.

You’d see a few in the Journal too whose weight doesn’t seem to bear any resemblance to their age. Are buyers not too bothered once they get a decent animal that’ll officially be finished under 30 months? Even though it might really be 34-35 months!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Perhaps it does but often there's more to the story as to why the owner manages or mismanages the situation like such. I'm not making excuses for anyone but various health issues, alcoholism, relationship problems, old age ect would be a factor in most of the cases I've encountered. That's not to say some lads are just not arsed to do anything right but there's often more to the story. Then there's some who know better than everyone and are that thick and ignorant that it's next to impossible to do anything with them. I know a few lads that would be thicker than 2 railway sleepers nailed together, what exactly can be done with them without constant massive conflict.

One case in particular comes to mind, a local contractor and suckler farmer used to have an ongoing problem with Tb in his herd. The man in question was a hard worker and far from the worst in most ways but he has a serious temper and a short fuse. I'm talking about a descent into total blind rage and there's no talking to him until he calms down after an hour or so. The year in question he had a department spot test a few months after going clear of a previous breakdown and more reacters were found.

In due time a lorry arrived to collect said reactors, our man wasn't in good humor over the whole debacle naturally enough. They couldn't get the cattle loaded, temper's frayed and he rounded on the department staff for abusing the stock. One word led to another and he finished up barricading the department officials into the yard with a tractor. Between the barricade and his behavior the rest of them got afraid and phoned the Guards. It took 2 squad cars and over an hour's negotiations before the lorry and it's passengers were allowed leave without the cattle. A few days later another lorry was despatched under a truce to bring away the reactors but from that day to this he's never had a problem with Tb. It might be a coincidence but I reckon there's a big red X through his file somewhere with a note that he's dangerously unstable and not to be provoked under any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That man with the beard. There was wreckage of a light aircraft for a long time in his yard.
    A plane crashed in the 80's on the mountain. I think there may have been fatalities?
    But he pulled the wreckage down with a 2wd Nuffield tractor to his yard.

That mountain has claimed a German bomber crew in WW2, that crash in the 80's, and another couple of lives in a plane crash a few years ago.

• Advertisement

Thanks for the link - I never came across folklore.ie before but it's bookmarked here now. You'd wonder what or who will be recorded on the website in years to come

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Thanks for the link - I never came across folklore.ie before but it's bookmarked here now. You'd wonder what or who will be recorded on the website in years to come

I see that Tommy Hayes is on the credit list at the end of that video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rObRYku5jnE

and he gives a more extensive lesson on this one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpLGCsNPii0

A bit from Alan Matthews about the current CAP budget discussions.
    https://twitter.com/xAlan_Matthews/status/1288018292322570244?s=19

A bit from Alan Matthews about the current CAP budget discussions.
    https://twitter.com/xAlan_Matthews/status/1288018292322570244?s=19

Great to be able to read that without having to register/pay INM and Denis O'Brien :)

Great to be able to read that without having to register/pay INM and Denis O'Brien :)

He's good for that, in fairness to him. I wouldn't always agree with what he says but his analysis is always interesting.

He's good for that, in fairness to him. I wouldn't always agree with what he says but his analysis is always interesting.

He has no sympathy for farmers, but he gives it straight and honest. if we lost the subsidies every time he threatened it we'd be in a bad way

He has no sympathy for farmers, but he gives it straight and honest. if we lost the subsidies every time he threatened it we'd be in a bad way

Having read the article now, there's not much in it beyond what was in the IFJ last week. I'm guessing no one knows yet what way the eventual schemes will be set up.

As ever, the devil will be in the detail.

All I can surmise so far is:

* The greening part of entitlements will be replaced with an eco-lite scheme - you don't have to engage but you won't get the full entitlement value unless you do. Any actions in the eco-lite scheme can't be too difficult or expensive because it'll have to be different from any REPS/GLAS scheme in pillar-2

* Convergence will continue but no one knows at what pace

* Organic farming will be promoted but no one is saying how. I saw on Twitter yesterday that it will be via subsidies, rather than increasing the marketing/advertising of organic food to consumers

All scrubbed up, old girl ready to go.

Not getting much use this year.

https://ibb.co/t2rtyY8

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

In a pub having a bite of grub. Five aul fellas at the next table discussing death. Apparently you are alive five minutes after you’re dead, so that you’ll know you’re dead. Welcome back old men in a pub.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

All scrubbed up, old girl ready to go.

Not getting much use this year.

https://ibb.co/t2rtyY8

Seeing stories that caravans can walk like dogs in the current situation.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement