Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

18 years since 9/11. I think everyone remembers what they were doing that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Meanwhile on a planet far far away.

https://twitter.com/keenelandsales/status/1171868308322377728?s=20

Fair (kinda) dues. But it is really really obscene for a grass munching, oval running, gambling target, carbon intensive industry, sheik loving, ladies day, break my leg at the first hurdle, bag of bones.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Here's one to keep an eye on. A farmer was dipped by Customs recently for using tractor diesel in a jeep used only for on farm transport and never used on the road and received a €2,500 fine.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/hefty-fine-for-green-diesel-in-old-field-car-493286

Here's one to keep an eye on. A farmer was dipped by Customs recently for using tractor diesel in a jeep used only for on farm transport and never used on the road and received a €2,500 fine.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/hefty-fine-for-green-diesel-in-old-field-car-493286

That's been happening down here on farms for the last good few years.
    Well maybe not the fines like that.
    But customs have been dipping off road vehicles especially in yards where they can drive into beside the road.
    Best advice is to take off the number plate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,371 ✭✭✭MickeyShtyles

But customs have been dipping off road vehicles especially in yards where they can drive into beside the road.

What difference would a number plate make? It’s still in yer yard?

• Advertisement

What difference would a number plate make? It’s still in yer yard?

"I've never seen that vehicle before boss."

I wouldn't be 100% sure on these things. But it's what a lenient customs man told a farmer to do just as there was a person from the house going to hospital.

They really only call in on vehicles they can see from the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭TheFarrier

We were advised (by who I can’t remember) that of the headlights are removed the the car can’t be considered road usable, so the old Hilux is blind now...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

TheFarrier wrote: »
    We were advised (by who I can’t remember) that of the headlights are removed the the car can’t be considered road usable, so the old Hilux is blind now...

Doesn't matter. The wording is," it's an offence to store marked gas oil," so even its parked in the ditch with briars growing up through it, you can still be prosecuted.

orm0nd wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. The wording is," it's an offence to store marked gas oil," so even its parked in the ditch with briars growing up through it, you can still be prosecuted.

Luckily, if Brexit goes ahead, they stand a good chance of being moved to man border checks instead of harassing farmers because of stupidly worded legislation.

Hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

Luckily, if Brexit goes ahead, they stand a good chance of being moved to man border checks instead of harassing farmers because of stupidly worded legislation.

Hopefully.

Would that be easier or more difficult work? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

mf240 wrote: »
    Would that be easier or more difficult work? :D

They'll be getting danger money on the border

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Hopefully.

I think I told this story on here before, happened a good few years now

local lad pulled with the jeep, was told on the spot fine was so much, if it went to court most likely would be more,

phoned his father for advise and was told to bring them to the yard and he'd give a cheque

there was an old cattle lorry in the yard, and they dipped that too,

Double Bang !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Brought the cows up around the shed & left it open for them last night to go in if they wished. Have it set up so they have access to the three pens, one calving pen & the feeding passage so plenty of space. All the twins came in for some reason (bar the 13yr old cow with bad legs who hates the concrete) and the older cows. Wise girls :D

Brought the cows up around the shed & left it open for them last night to go in if they wished. Have it set up so they have access to the three pens, one calving pen & the feeding passage so plenty of space. All the twins came in for some reason (bar the 13yr old cow with bad legs who hates the concrete) and the older cows. Wise girls :D

Good article by you in the journal

orm0nd wrote: »
    I think I told this story on here before, happened a good few years now

local lad pulled with the jeep, was told on the spot fine was so much, if it went to court most likely would be more,

phoned his father for advise and was told to bring them to the yard and he'd give a cheque

there was an old cattle lorry in the yard, and they dipped that too,

Double Bang !!!

Back in the day before they has high tech testing to determine what diesel was being used, my father had an old Ford Transit van for going to the creamery and general tipping about. He decided to run it on tractor diesel so he filled a plastic drum with red diesel, placed it in the footwell of the van and ran a hose from that to the engine intake.

Every so often, he would go for white diesel and put some in the tank and made sure to spill some outside the tank so it looked like there was diesel being used. He was often stopped and dipped and told drive on, all was OK while he was burning red diesel. I'd die of a heart attack but didn't bother him in the least:o

whelan2 wrote: »
    Good article by you in the journal

Didn't have too much time to write this time so thank you, much appreciated :). For such a small farm, I find it difficult to keep to word count!

Father's foot is still not back to normal, he's fairly fed up at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

I wonder will dawggone see that light pink section in france :P
    for a bit of context, Ireland is about 1.6% of the eu's total land area, Lithuania is about 1.5%

Herd test Monday, man coming to look at an animal today. Am I allowed to sell him before the test or is there a stop as we're notified of the test?
    Bull is still in test until mid October.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Herd test Monday, man coming to look at an animal today. Am I allowed to sell him before the test or is there a stop as we're notified of the test?
    Bull is still in test until mid October.

I’d expect it’s fair game if current test still in date ?

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    I’d expect it’s fair game if current test still in date ?

Good stuff. I thought that but just wasn't sure! Will double check in vets if he's sold anyway.

Do a movement form on agfood for him. Shouldn't be a problem once he's in test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭148multi

Back in the day before they has high tech testing to determine what diesel was being used, my father had an old Ford Transit van for going to the creamery and general tipping about. He decided to run it on tractor diesel so he filled a plastic drum with red diesel, placed it in the footwell of the van and ran a hose from that to the engine intake.

Every so often, he would go for white diesel and put some in the tank and made sure to spill some outside the tank so it looked like there was diesel being used. He was often stopped and dipped and told drive on, all was OK while he was burning red diesel. I'd die of a heart attack but didn't bother him in the least:o

A lad with a checkered history was stopped going into the local town, full of green, was chatting to the revenue lads, when they went splitting the sample he hops in the jeep and takes off, they follow but can't find him, jeep hidden and him gone on the train, it ended up in court, he got off because they didn't provide him with a B sample. The judge said to him (you are here more often than me, and I work here).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

2 stories on the diesel for ye.

Back when I was younger, we always had a cattle lorry as the father, like his father, use to buy calves at the mart, and sell them around to farmers in the area then. At it for years. Now, being a handy fella at the building/fixing/maintaining things, he doctored under the lorry and made space for a second diesel tank, cut a little hole in the floor and made a small door so ya could fill it with the tractor juice. Just meant ya had to get in to the back of the lorry to fill - no biggie. Used to hate the MOT coming around as it meant dropping the tank and trying to get the correct tank piped up and engine running! Great times :D

Next, was in Thurles mart long long ago and customs came in to dip. Man walked out from the sales and seen some lad with a pipe in his diesel tank. Over he went and WALLOP! Guards came but he pleaded he thought someone was stealing his diesel. Got away with the punch!

What's the problem here and what would remedy it?

20190912-214227.jpg

20190912-214431.jpg

20190912-214227.jpg

20190912-214431.jpg

The fact that there’s feck all of a stalk on it or the hole?

Is it not just the age of the stalk causing the hole? Always assumed that here :pac:

Is it not just the age of the stalk causing the hole? Always assumed that here :pac:

Time of the year / varieties used. I’ll be cutting broccoli 2mora so I’ll take a few pics if I remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,174 ✭✭✭✭Muckit

20190912-214227.jpg

20190912-214431.jpg

Put something other than broccoli in your sandwich?

• Advertisement

Muckit wrote: »
    Put something other than broccoli in your sandwich?

Can you not see he's putting mangetout in it as well. Fecking blind so you are.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement