Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Neighbour gone away for a week. Between his and my place, looking at sheep and cattle in 13 different places. Good workout all the same.
    One place alone is 1/2 km in from the road.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

_Brian wrote: »
    Look at the price of dogs thread.

Dogs that would have been €3-400 are going for €1500-1800
    Heard of someone recently who paid €3k for a dog.

Saw requests from some dog charity for people to stop buying dogs at the moment because it’s just driving on thefts and poor breeding practices.

Literally everything leisure related is massively inflated on price at present. I could probably see my caravan for what I paid for it 7-8 years ago. Considering it’s near impossible to get a pitch booking in Ireland until mid September it’s just madness.

Neighbour spent near 2K on a pup and it died in the first week of owning it after it ate through the TV Power cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Neighbour gone away for a week. Between his and my place, looking at sheep and cattle in 13 different places. Good workout all the same.
    One place alone is 1/2 km in from the road.

How do you stay awake?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭straight

Look at the price of dogs thread.

Dogs that would have been €3-400 are going for €1500-1800
    Heard of someone recently who paid €3k for a dog.

Saw requests from some dog charity for people to stop buying dogs at the moment because it’s just driving on thefts and poor breeding practices.

Literally everything leisure related is massively inflated on price at present. I could probably see my caravan for what I paid for it 7-8 years ago. Considering it’s near impossible to get a pitch booking in Ireland until mid September it’s just madness.

3 - 400 was too much in the first place.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Are lads nuts? Definite sign people have lost the run of themselves. Sister in law in oz used own a labradoodle- Paid a fortune for it. Got bored and gave it away, she now has bought a pbr french mastiff. I reckon she paid in the $1000s. I give it six months.

Our dog is a mongrel and apart from allergies, is a great dog. Unreal temperament. But with the allergies, I reckon she is the most expensive mongrel in Ireland. But worth it.

A neighbour on about 2 acres, always had dogs to old age. Had to go through a fairly rigorous interview process To take a rescue, she is pure worried as she hasn’t heard back. There will be no issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Are lads nuts? Definite sign people have lost the run of themselves. Sister in law in oz used own a labradoodle- Paid a fortune for it. Got bored and gave it away, she now has bought a pbr french mastiff. I reckon she paid in the $1000s. I give it six months.

Our dog is a mongrel and apart from allergies, is a great dog. Unreal temperament. But with the allergies, I reckon she is the most expensive mongrel in Ireland. But worth it.

A neighbour on about 2 acres, always had dogs to old age. Had to go through a fairly rigorous interview process To take a rescue, she is pure worried as she hasn’t heard back. There will be no issues.

Very common, same happens with horses and pet lambs, do people not cop on to how fickle most children are.
    Very sad for the animals concerned

• Registered Users Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Allergies ?

If it's skin lesions and scratching - a Vet told us to stop feeding both scrap meat and dog food - it should be either one or the other as too much zinc was causing the itch.

I noticed the same with a cat who had a litter of kittens, I was feeding her dry food and mince meat, she came out in rash, which cleared up when I stopped giving her meat.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Wasn't sure what thread to post this in..

Interesting work at Ucd Lyons farm.

https://twitter.com/PallasTb/status/1288753312389648384

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

wrangler wrote: »
    Very common, same happens with horses and pet lambs, do people not cop on to how fickle most children are.
    Very sad for the animals concerned

It’s the adults that are fickle and can’t parent. Spending too much time trying to be their kids best friend rather than their parent.

Kids are mostly amazing given the right environment

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,786 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It’s the adults that are fickle and can’t parent. Spending too much time trying to be their kids best friend rather than their parent.

Kids are mostly amazing given the right environment

Can relate 100% to that. Many parents seem to have forgotten their own upbringing and try to give their kids whatever they think they missed out on themselves.

It’s a struggle for every parent and every generation but discipline, without being over the top, and giving them your full attention when needed, will get you 90% of the way there.

They are amazing little creatures, but they have to compete now with social media and parents’ work pressure for attention. More time spent on the farm should be good for them too, as long as it’s safe and you’re not expecting too much work from them. Castrating mad LM weanlings is probably beyond most 11-year-olds!

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

Wasn't sure what thread to post this in..

Interesting work at Ucd Lyons farm.

https://twitter.com/PallasTb/status/1288753312389648384

Very interesting - I missed that on Twitter. Would be good to see what post-grazing looks like and to know whether they top it post-grazing

• Registered Users Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Very interesting - I missed that on Twitter. Would be good to see what post-grazing looks like and to know whether they top it post-grazing

There "should " be no need for topping.
    It's early days I know but how is yours progressing?
    A big plus besides animal and plant performance is the reported deepening and increased carbon capture in the soil.
    How it grazes year on year in wet weather would be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Allergies ?

If it's skin lesions and scratching - a Vet told us to stop feeding both scrap meat and dog food - it should be either one or the other as too much zinc was causing the itch.

I noticed the same with a cat who had a litter of kittens, I was feeding her dry food and mince meat, she came out in rash, which cleared up when I stopped giving her meat.

She never gets scraps. Only food she can eat is burns. Otherwise she scratches mad. Took a while to figure it and she use be fair bad with it.

She is perfect if we can control things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

emaherx wrote: »
    Neighbour spent near 2K on a pup and it died in the first week of owning it after it ate through the TV Power cable.

Never bought a dog in this house. They have always just arrived.
    Have two lads at the moment. A red setter that was sitting outside the door just after Christmas many years ago. I thought he was lost and made attempts to find his owner. Turned out he has occasional fits, so whoever had him just dumped him as he was no good as a fancy show dog (which is what he looked like). He is 11 years about the place and looking his age.
    Second was a collie pup hardly big enough to walk. He was on the side of the road and came home with OH and the setter. Again, I thought he must have followed someone and was just lost.....that was about 8 years ago.
    I have a work colleague that has started bringing her little dog to work with her. The dog lies on a blanket under her desk. She is worried that someone will break into the house and steal the dog while she is at work. She was even considering putting a tag on the collar 'ancient and neutered'!

• Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Bread is another one to cause allergies in dogs

There "should " be no need for topping.
    It's early days I know but how is yours progressing?
    A big plus besides animal and plant performance is the reported deepening and increased carbon capture in the soil.
    How it grazes year on year in wet weather would be interesting.

Wasn’t impressed at all with the amount of docks and thistles in it. I topped part of it after grazing with calves and it seems to have much less docks/thistles coming back. Nice bit of clover coming thru as well. It’s a wet field that had plenty rushes so will be watching closely when the rain gets most frequent in the coming months.

No doubt I’ll be Tweeting about it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Wasn’t impressed at all with the amount of docks and thistles in it. I topped part of it after grazing with calves and it seems to have much less docks/thistles coming back. Nice bit of clover coming thru as well. It’s a wet field that had plenty rushes so will be watching closely when the rain gets most frequent in the coming months.

No doubt I’ll be Tweeting about it!

Tommy Boland in UCD seems to saying the same as yourself re the weeds, I'd imagine as the fertility rises the problem with weeds will increase too.

Can relate 100% to that. Many parents seem to have forgotten their own upbringing and try to give their kids whatever they think they missed out on themselves.

It’s a struggle for every parent and every generation but discipline, without being over the top, and giving them your full attention when needed, will get you 90% of the way there.

They are amazing little creatures, but they have to compete now with social media and parents’ work pressure for attention. More time spent on the farm should be good for them too, as long as it’s safe and you’re not expecting too much work from them. Castrating mad LM weanlings is probably beyond most 11-year-olds!

I think in the main kids raised on farms have a better temperament and better understanding of life.

Personally I think allot of this has to do with firstly actually seeing how much work and effort goes into earning a living. Plus most farm kids are involved in work to keep things on the road. Even if it’s picking stones, pulling ragweed or mucking out a shed, as my father used to say “earned money is harder spent”

There are of course exceptions to everything

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Ah, God be with the days of 5p per footing of turf :D And no slouching with putting up 6 or 8 sods & calling it a footing. If it wasn't high enough we got docked!

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

Ah, God be with the days of 5p per footing of turf :D And no slouching with putting up 6 or 8 sods & calling it a footing. If it wasn't high enough we got docked!

You were lucky ... we didn’t get a sod of turf!

• Advertisement

I think in the main kids raised on farms have a better temperament and better understanding of life.

Personally I think allot of this has to do with firstly actually seeing how much work and effort goes into earning a living. Plus most farm kids are involved in work to keep things on the road. Even if it’s picking stones, pulling ragweed or mucking out a shed, as my father used to say “earned money is harder spent”

There are of course exceptions to everything

Doing a few jobs around the yard together gives children and their parents something in common too. And that makes it easier to chat. Harder to know what to say when you get in from the office rather than the farm

Just listening to the news there where a nursing home employee raped a 73 year old alzheimer's patient in the nursing home during lockdown. Jail is too easy for him.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Just listening to the news there where a nursing home employee raped a 73 year old alzheimer's patient in the nursing home during lockdown. Jail is too easy for him.

Might not be so easy once word of that spreads inside

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

whelan2 wrote: »

Got 11 years. Seems lenient. Is that more than what usual rapists get or the same?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0730/1156453-courts-rape/

Dont know ,but at least the case was dealt with quickly enough.

Got 11 years. Seems lenient. Is that more than what usual rapists get or the same?
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2020/0730/1156453-courts-rape/

Well life for murder is only something like 15 years in practice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

Looking through machinery websites for a digger with a fortnight. Jaysus some lads don't make it easy. No prices no hrs then when you ring ah that machine is gone. One crowd in the UK had a whole heap of stuff. Turns out many are same machine posted twice. Supposed to have a massive range of 2nd hand JCBs. Eh no we've nothing at the moment. Lads here aren't much better. Got this shyte 4 times yesterday and twice this morning. Take down the ad or mark it as sold. Dont be wasting my time.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Looking through machinery websites for a digger with a fortnight. Jaysus some lads don't make it easy. No prices no hrs then when you ring ah that machine is gone. One crowd in the UK had a whole heap of stuff. Turns out many are same machine posted twice. Supposed to have a massive range of 2nd hand JCBs. Eh no we've nothing at the moment. Lads here aren't much better. Got this shyte 4 times yesterday and twice this morning. Take down the ad or mark it as sold. Dont be wasting my time.

Agree fully

Reggie. wrote: »
    Agree fully

Same here. I’ve given up on DoneDeal. Way too many adds saying €123,456 as price. The search results are all over the place too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,801 ✭✭✭straight

The no timewasters,no texts, no emails are gas. You have to ring and they still won't tell you the price unless you call around to see it sometime that suits them. Turns out the price is ridiculous and your left wondering who exactly is the time waster. Put up the information like or else reply to quick text with info.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement