Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Mob grazing is about mimicking the actions in the wild. Like the large herds of Bison on the prairie. The area would be grazed for a small time by a massive number of animals before they'd move on. However, as per Christine Jones, the prairie actually has little grass but a wide range of plants.

Used a longish rotation this year. Just finishing my third rotation IWT. About two thirds of it would be long term permanent pasture and so has some other plants too. I would graze out each area before moving on. On this old ground the bullocks would eat the red sorrell first, before the grass. Also see them eating the tips of nettles and briars. This is not cattle being left go hungry. The effect on LWG I don't know yet. This is organic and cattle look good. I presume I don't have massive performance.

Sorry on your losses Knight.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hard luck with the cow. It is galling when an animal dies in such a way. I also remember your previous posts too. It is hard to take and no use saying it is better outside than inside as that's not the point.

It's harder to take with a smaller herd, but hopefully you'll get a better rub of the green. Keep the faith and things will get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Hard luck with the cow. It is galling when an animal dies in such a way. I also remember your previous posts too. It is hard to take and no use saying it is better outside than inside as that's not the point.

It's harder to take with a smaller herd, but hopefully you'll get a better rub of the green. Keep the faith and things will get better.

Twas an area that was on list to fence again. Just confirms it now.

Definitely confirms about cattle numbers while the lads are very small with nobody around.

As luck would have it, the dead car happened to be in the area. I managed to get the cow collected without my mother or the children seeing. Saved a bit of distress. My 5yo was wondering was he the man buying the cow.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

As luck would have it, the dead car happened to be in the area. I managed to get the cow collected without my mother or the children seeing. Saved a bit of distress. My 5yo was wondering was he the man buying the cow.

A few of our cattle went to the "vet" in time gone by;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,516 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

We were given a red white head calf when we were young. The only one born on our farm that year. It drowned in the bog. My dad had to go and buy another one that looked like it. An animal hadn't died in the bog in decades. He only told us years later

A girl I went to school with died of cancer today 47 years old. Only diagnosed after Christmas. Her mother died of cancer 4 weeks ago. Her brother was told his cancer was back the day his mother died. Some families have so much ****

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

whelan2 wrote: »
    A girl I went to school with died of cancer today 47 years old. Only diagnosed after Christmas. Her mother died of cancer 4 weeks ago. Her brother was told his cancer was back the day his mother died. Some families have so much ****

Ah feck. That's terrible.

Ah feck. That's terrible.
    Ye very sad. The father died of cancer a few years ago. You'd think in this day and age there would be some sort of cure for it. God love the family

Ye very sad. The father died of cancer a few years ago. You'd think in this day and age there would be some sort of cure for it. God love the family

That’s awful. I’ve one uncle who died of a heart attack, the rest of my aunts/uncles and my father died of cancer. ThAts 9 out of 14 (4 still alive)

I always say it a cure for cancer that we should be supporting when we are looking for charities to sponsor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Has to be in the genes

Reggie. wrote: »
    Has to be in the genes

Ye. Heartbreaking though. You think things are bad but with funeral restrictions at the moment etc the family wont have a proper send off for their mother or sister.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,491 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That’s awful. I’ve one uncle who died of a heart attack, the rest of my aunts/uncles and my father died of cancer. ThAts 9 out of 14 (4 still alive)

I always say it a cure for cancer that we should be supporting when we are looking for charities to sponsor.

The first few lines of a book I have the author gives an appreciation to Richard Grantham. He describes how in the 1970's he gave a lecture and described how he had used a computer analysis of the genetic sequences present in a virus capable of causing cancer to identify a gene that had its origins in the virus's host, not in the ancestors of the virus.

Point is anyway there's a multitude of causes of cancer.
    I've lost some people close to me lately from it and received more bad news from someone else in the family tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

It's pink eye time of the year with so many flies about so keep an eye (excuse the pun) on your stock.

I noticed that blue/grey bloom and runny eye on a couple of this years calves when herding on Sunday. Brought them in this evening and had to inject six of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Reggie. wrote: »
    Has to be in the genes

Is it the genes or the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I have had a Bord Bia audit and have to close out a few issues, audit was before expiration period of last one.

Am I still in the scheme during this period.

The original date has just passed.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Danzy wrote: »
    I have had a Bord Bia audit and have to close out a few issues, audit was before expiration period of last one.

You can check your status here.

https://qas.bordbia.ie/Beef/Verify/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

Danzy wrote: »

I sent out the online stuff last week waiting to hear from the now.

Aren't they back inspecting on farm now?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

yes lasts for 18 months if on farm

12 months if you opt for online option

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Is it the genes or the house?

Only if theres no radon barrier in the house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

ganmo wrote: »
    Only if theres no radon barrier in the house

Could be enviromental, dieatry, in the Genes or any combination, or just terrible luck. I think we will all get some form of cancer if we live long enough.

I think in this case it's in the genes. The mother's brother died of cancer 40 years ago. Just unlucky they have it on both sides. None of them ever smoked. Girl that died yesterday never drank either. The brother wont be home from hospital for the funeral.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

I think in this case it's in the genes. The mother's brother died of cancer 40 years ago. Just unlucky they have it on both sides. None of them ever smoked. Girl that died yesterday never drank either. The brother wont be home from hospital for the funeral.

Lost my Mam a few years ago at 53 of ovarian cancer. She had it for over 6 years and were lucky we got that time. 4 of 7 of her family dead now. 3 cancer , 1 Road accident . last 3 all getting bloods checked ever 3 months now I heard

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Whatever the cause life is just tougher for some.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

had bord bia inspection over the phone recently, auditor said on farm inspections in a couple of months

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

wrangler wrote: »
    You can check your status here.

https://qas.bordbia.ie/Beef/Verify/

Thanks for that Wrangler.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

o/h and myself spent a few days in donegal and N.I.

we were supposed to be attending a wedding in london in sept. and another in vermont in Nov. both of which won't be happening (for us at least)

really enjoyed the break but always conscius of mixing and your surroundings takes a little from free style holiday

OH off to work for evening today, amazing what you can get done with a clear run of the day.Dosing and dividing cattle. The bull is taken from cows now. Will scan in 6 weeks. Anything not in calf will go on Nov 1st.
    Depending on what’s in calf or not wil decide will I get replacements. Currently have 9 cows hopeful. I always said I wouldn’t go under 10 cows. I have to rear my own replacements as we have red water in the bog area. Either that or keep the new cow around the house.

Might even get to cut a bit of the lawn. Won’t get it all done.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

OH off to work for evening today, amazing what you can get done with a clear run of the day.Dosing and dividing cattle. The bull is taken from cows now. Will scan in 6 weeks. Anything not in calf will go on Nov 1st.
    Depending on what’s in calf or not wil decide will I get replacements. Currently have 9 cows hopeful. I always said I wouldn’t go under 10 cows. I have to rear my own replacements as we have red water in the bog area. Either that or keep the new cow around the house.

Might even get to cut a bit of the lawn. Won’t get it all done.

The blue sky with the sun shining makes some difference too. Everything seems possible then.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement