Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Best of luck to the children/teenagers and teachers heading back to school.
    Thankfully mine are beyond school but I can guarantee if eldest was heading back to school in these times he would be coughing/spluttering/feigning the illness before his arse warmed the seat in the classroom.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,000 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

_Brian wrote: »
    I mostly agree but we still each need to avoid catching covid.

There Seems a growing body of evidence that covid damages the organs in more ways than initially thought and health issues are possible down the line. One report I read looked at 1000 recovered patients and something like 40% had heart damage akin to a heart attack.

Of the handful of people I know who have tested positive two are having lasting health issues and both were for strong people before it.

We need to get back to doing normal things but maybe in slightly altered ways that keep us safe.

Just read an article on Sweden allowing life to carry on as normal.. letting people take repsonsbility for minimizing transmission of the virus... seems to be working for them.... I think the initial lockdown was necessary in some form to prevent our delicate health service becoming overrun as we saw in Italy Spain etc... however... people have adjusted their behavior for the most part and now restrictions should be eased... obviously those with health issues need to be cautious but I would assume they have to be cautious anyway...

My small lady is starting primary school Thursday... looking forward to it!! She’ll take to it no bother... not sure bout her younger brother tho... I think I might have to park the John Deere in the middle of the classroom with him up on it to keep him quiet!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

Thanks for the tip. Switched it on after seeing your post.

It’s some start for those youngsters. But do you reckon the wife does much when the cameras aren’t around?

Does she what?!
    Some woman to work.

Ya certainly don't catch Clive doing much work with the camera on him!

No flies on Clive anyway - that's for sure :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Neddyusa wrote: »
    Does she what?!
    Some woman to work.

Ya certainly don't catch Clive doing much work with the camera on him!

No flies on Clive anyway - that's for sure :pac:

She's some woman in many different aspects and it would be a brave man would question her commitment to the family and farm imo. As for Clive I'd say he's a fairly cute hoor but I don't know how he copes with that amount of small children 24/7. He's really started to show his age in recent years and it's bound to be tiring juggling family and farm life. Having said that he must have been doing something right to end up with a doll like her, I'd be long dead and buried if in his shoes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Just read an article on Sweden allowing life to carry on as normal.. letting people take repsonsbility for minimizing transmission of the virus... seems to be working for them.... I think the initial lockdown was necessary in some form to prevent our delicate health service becoming overrun as we saw in Italy Spain etc... however... people have adjusted their behavior for the most part and now restrictions should be eased... obviously those with health issues need to be cautious but I would assume they have to be cautious !!

From what I've read, Sweden got the whole "elderly dying from Covid19" bit out of the way early on, and then society more ir less returned to near normality.
    Other countries (like us) seemingly have had similar death rates but spread out over a more prolonged period.
    Of course, it can be argued that the deaths attributed to Covid were mainly people with severely comprised health, for whome heart failure or pneumonia type complications anyway, but that's a theory that is almost un-provable either way anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

She's some woman in many different aspects and it would be a brave man would question her commitment to the family and farm imo. As for Clive I'd say he's a fairly cute hoor but I don't know how he copes with that amount of small children 24/7. He's really started to show his age in recent years and it's bound to be tiring juggling family and farm life. Having said that he must have been doing something right to end up with a doll like her, I'd be long dead and buried if in his shoes.

She wanted to be a shepherd and she was working on a farm that sent her up to Clive to borrow a ram and, as they say, the rest is history.
    Clive has two adult children by a previous marriage.
    She gave birth to at least one of the children beside the fire while Clive was asleep in bed........ he has it well sorted

Just read an article on Sweden allowing life to carry on as normal.. letting people take repsonsbility for minimizing transmission of the virus... seems to be working for them.... I think the initial lockdown was necessary in some form to prevent our delicate health service becoming overrun as we saw in Italy Spain etc... however... people have adjusted their behavior for the most part and now restrictions should be eased... obviously those with health issues need to be cautious but I would assume they have to be cautious anyway...

My small lady is starting primary school Thursday... looking forward to it!! She’ll take to it no bother... not sure bout her younger brother tho... I think I might have to park the John Deere in the middle of the classroom with him up on it to keep him quiet!!

The major offenders, virus case wise, now are the 25 -45 age group, in other words the parents of those children that are now going to school.
    25 -45 would be the main offenders too that house party, that I know of anyway.
    Interesting times ahead

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

wrangler wrote: »
    She wanted to be a shepherd and she was working on a farm that sent her up to Clive to borrow a ram and, as they say, the rest is history.
    She gave birth to at least one of the children beside the fire while Clive was asleep in bed........ he has it well sorted

I havent seen the latest epidsoles but I recall they all wore wellintons most of the time including the hottest days of summer

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Neither of them have issues with fertility anyway!

Is it Swaledale ewes they have? It's fairly harsh looking there on the moors so they must be tough enough animals whatever breed they are.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Odd-Ear decided do a barrel roll in a drain last night. Got lucky she picked a shallow one which was mostly dry.
    You could watch them 23 hours out of 24 and they'd still manage to attempt ways to die.

O4j2Fhll.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,488 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Is this not a bit weird?

A media company filming a couple and their children. I know they have permission and the parents hopefully have the final say on what can and can't be aired.

It's a bit "Truman Show" in my eyes and a little bit weird.

Or maybe I'm the weird one with weird values? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

They wouldn't have any editorial say IWT, but they'd probably be a bit if give and take, not to show them in a bad light. It's not Big Brother.

Water John wrote: »
    They wouldn't have any editorial say IWT, but they'd probably be a bit if give and take, not to show them in a bad light. It's not
    Big Brother.

It kind of is a bit for the children.
    I know there's income being earned for their education and upbringing.
    They dont really get a say in having a camera crew filming them around. There's probably a lot of emmerdale farm going on for the cameras.
    But still even Belle in the Dingles can go home to a different name and different life in the real world. It's a bit full on this other way.
    Very Kardashian. In another time parents would be very conservative about this sort of stuff.

It kind of is a bit for the children.
    I know there's income being earned for their education and upbringing.
    They dont really get a say in having a camera crew filming them around. There's probably a lot of emmerdale farm going on for the cameras.
    But still even Belle in the Dingles can go home to a different name and different life in the real world. It's a bit full on this other way.
    Very Kardashian. In another time parents would be very conservative about this sort of stuff.

The way they come across to me, it's almost like they don't give a toss the cameras are around. They'd have done things X way regardless of cameras there or not. Like I found no difference between what's filmed with film crew & what goes on her twitter account. For that matter, wasn't last night all her own filming too, so no crew around to act up for.
    Major difference between what they get up to & how they come across in front of that camera when you compare them to those fecking pageant kids in the US. That Honey BooBoo one for example, that's a prime example of someone who has grown up dramatising everything for cameras.

The way they come across to me, it's almost like they don't give a toss the cameras are around. They'd have done things X way regardless of cameras there or not. Like I found no difference between what's filmed with film crew & what goes on her twitter account. For that matter, wasn't last night all her own filming too, so no crew around to act up for.
    Major difference between what they get up to & how they come across in front of that camera when you compare them to those fecking pageant kids in the US. That Honey BooBoo one for example, that's a prime example of someone who has grown up dramatising everything for cameras.
    I wonder is there an actual age of consent where a child is deemed compos mentis enough to decide for themselves that they want to be filmed or not and not have the parents decide "right that's it" the world needs to see my Mary?
    When does Mary get to decide for herself?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I have always felt very uneasy of journalists writing personal columns that often reference activities and behaviour of their children. As ye say, they don't ask for that or have a choice. I don't mind occasional references but building your column profile around stories of your children constantly is different.

I wonder is there an actual age of consent where a child is deemed compos mentis enough to decide for themselves that they want to be filmed or not and not have the parents decide "right that's it" the world needs to see my Mary?

None of those children could look back on the footage as they get older without being proud of everything they see.
    On saying that I get sick of some parents sticking up pics of their children over and over again on facebook,

Wrangler and Nekarsulm probably remember this..

On this day in 1940 the Co-op in Campile, Co.Wexford was bombed by a German bomber.

https://twitter.com/tidesntales/status/1298593532425494529?s=20

A second bomber targeted a railway viaduct between Campile and Rosslare harbour. Theories are that the Axis found butter wrappers from Campile in ration bags from the British soldiers in Dunkirk and this was a firm warning to Ireland and Campile Creamery.
    There's a similar account of it in this week's Ireland's Own.

https://www.irelandsown.ie/the-day-campile-was-bombed-80-years-ago/

Water John wrote: »
    I have always felt very uneasy of journalists writing personal columns that often reference activities and behaviour of their children. As ye say, they don't ask for that or have a choice. I don't mind occasional references but building your column profile around stories of your children constantly is different.

Can definitely see where you're both coming from. On the flip side, when is a child old enough to decide they want to model, or act and start asking to be allowed do that? Those kids all seem charismatic enough to be able to voice what they want or don't want.
    For the footage used in an hour on Yorkshire farm, how many days would cameramen be there, hardly every day. They seem to base it on certain things or times. Like Storm Jorge & Ciara there a couple of nights ago, that took a large chunk of the show, then off to buy new trailer & bull & have to get trailer out of river etc.
    From the outside it looks idyllic but very tough yet the family comes across as extremely tight knit & that's why it works so well to the audience at large.

Can definitely see where you're both coming from. On the flip side, when is a child old enough to decide they want to model, or act and start asking to be allowed do that? Those kids all seem charismatic enough to be able to voice what they want or don't want.
    For the footage used in an hour on Yorkshire farm, how many days would cameramen be there, hardly every day. They seem to base it on certain things or times. Like Storm Jorge & Ciara there a couple of nights ago, that took a large chunk of the show, then off to buy new trailer & bull & have to get trailer out of river etc.
    From the outside it looks idyllic but very tough yet the family comes across as extremely tight knit & that's why it works so well to the audience at large.

Flip side to that is maybe if you or me were one of those children (in any reality family documentary ) with our now vast life experience we might be inclined to tell our parents to go to hell if faced with such a proposition. Or maybe that only happens in the teenage years..:pac:
    Thing is too it's now a few years in the making and most of those have grown up knowing no better.
    Do they even see themselves on TV?
    The parents obviously get to watch hopefully before it airs but there could be doubts there especially the way it's portrayed that the kids ever see themselves on TV. Their mates in school would watch it but you never know with themselves if given the chance.
    Imagine if you saw yourself on national TV as a kid. God I'd be unbearable in school. I'd have the designer threads and plugging on the show. :p

Nah it's not really my cup of tea.

• Advertisement

Yep, they do watch it. I've seen a few times on Twitter where Amanda has posted a picture of everyone watching it together, piled up on couches & the floor.

Not having kids myself, perhaps I'm missing some maternal instinct somewhere :pac: but if they're happy and it's not turning them into little spoiled shíts, let them at it. They seem very grounded and enjoying a great upbringing, there's certainly far worse behaved childer around the country who could do with more responsibility to encourage them to get off their arses and stop staring at a screen for most of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Well big phil is stepping down tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Do they even see themselves on TV?
    The parents obviously get to watch hopefully before it airs but there could be doubts there especially the way it's portrayed that the kids ever see themselves on TV. Their mates in school would watch it but you never know with themselves if given the chance.
    Imagine if you saw yourself on national TV as a kid. God I'd be unbearable in school. I'd have the designer threads and plugging on the show. :p

Nah it's not really my cup of tea.

They do of course watch the programme.
    If you follow Amanda on twitter, you'll have seen them all around the range watching the episode just broadcast.
    Thay made it themselves, due to camera-persons etc not being allowed travel/visit due to Covid.
    Fairly basic farmhouse, etc.
    But of course, you are at the mercy of the landlord as regards modernisation and updating of your accommodation.

Reggie. wrote: »
    Well big phil is stepping down tonight

What's this now?

What's this now?

Phil hogan to resign

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

I think some of it at least is for the cameras. Like the other week they were at the mart and she just casually bought a pedigree cow without even letting on to him about it. Him sitting right beside her with the cameras on them.
    Either done for camera which would be off or she did actually do it off her own bat which would cause riots in any other farming family.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,348 ✭✭✭naughto

Thanks for the tip. Switched it on after seeing your post.

It’s some start for those youngsters. But do you reckon the wife does much when the cameras aren’t around?

With 9 kids even if shes no good on the farm she's definitely good at something else

Reggie. wrote: »

Big job for Coveney now, there'll be no one worthwhile left intact here now

• Advertisement

I think some of it at least is for the cameras. Like the other week they were at the mart and she just casually bought a pedigree cow without even letting on to him about it. Him sitting right beside her with the cameras on them.
    Either done for camera which would be off or she did actually do it off her own bat which would cause riots in any other farming family.

Maybe in a few other farming families but most partners would do their own thing now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement