Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Stupid question:

How are calves weaned if they're born over a period of a 4,5 months?

Is it based on youngest being old enough or on the majority being old enough, even if younger ones have to go without for longer/

I used to take away 10% -15% of the cows every week or so. saves a lot of chaos

• Registered Users Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I do it on an individual basis. I find the quietwean nose tabs very useful.

Is there any problem with mastitis using this method of drying off cows.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Depends on where you do it and whether you have a major award already.

Some have options for block release or one long day every 3-4 weeks etc.

It's getting longer and more expensive all the time.

I'd have a major qualification already.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭OffalyMedic

WHat way are the onsite days? In blocks or 1 day a week or what?

I completely it in gurteen about a year ago. It was an 18mth course, 1 Friday a month and 1 block week in June. Can only apply for it (Distance Learning) if you already have a QQI level 7

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

It's this lad I want to see out next. Allegedly he was at the dinner in Galway with 3 guests. The 3 guests are members of 3 different vulture funds. All there to try get a judge on side allegedly.

Personal info incoming. I've been battling a vulture fund for years now, and a recent case was won by another party where hearsay is not admissible as evidence. It was a turning point in my process as all they had is hearsay. But lo and behold, as part of emergency Covid legislation a few weeks ago, the government added an amendment to allow hearsay in court. Was nothing to do with Covid, and was passed without debate as the house had agreed that all Covid legislation should pass through without it to speed up the process. Now, I'm banjaxed and guaranteed to lose. And this Hayes lad is then bringing funds to dinners to rub shoulders with judges. Corrupt as **** and I am fuming
    What did vulture fund think of your new tractor by the way?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,486 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I must say I am enjoying this link I found to A Topographical Dictionary of Ireland by Samuel Lewis in 1837.

Unashamed link to the Model County. :D

https://www.libraryireland.com/topog/W/Wexford-Agriculture.php

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Is there any problem with mastitis using this method of drying off cows.

In our case at that stage, grass is getting tight, nothing that would drive milk. Touch wood, 1 case of summer mastitis in the last 10 years unrelated to drying off.

Any one watching Land without God on RTE,
    There was some right bastards about then, It's surprising the victims didn't organise their own retributions against those that abused them.
    The young lads were harmless that didn't go back to sort it when they got to about 25yrs of age. all the young lads they would've saved
    All in the name of the church eh

• Registered Users Posts: 2,765 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

wrangler wrote: »
    Any one watching Land without God on RTE,
    There was some right bastards about then, It's surprising the victims didn't organise their own retributions against those that abused them.
    The young lads were harmless that didn't go back to sort it when they got to about 25yrs of age. all the young lads they would've saved
    All in the name of the church eh

The title should be changed to "Land without a father", who wasn't man enough to claim them, or help raise them. The father never gets a mention, never mind being held to account

The title should be changed to "Land without a father", who wasn't man enough to claim them, or help raise them. The father never gets a mention, never mind being held to account

And all the parents that put their daughters in to laundries because they were pregnant.
    Island of saints and scholars, m'arse

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Went to close the hens in last night and one was missing. Searched everywhere and she was there outside the coop this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

whelan2 wrote: »
    Went to close the hens in last night and one was missing. Searched everywhere and she was there outside the coop this morning

likely stuck in a hedge somewhere out of sight... ours are both infuriating and delightful at the same time..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

whelan2 wrote: »

Ah, foxes reading the vegan twitter comments again 🦊

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thisyear

148multi wrote: »
    Ah, foxes reading the vegan twitter comments again ��

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

148multi wrote: »
    Ah, foxes reading the vegan twitter comments again 🦊

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭148multi

ganmo wrote: »
    Link?

😎

Got an abandoned kitten.
    Couldn’t pass the poor devil up.

Have to try to get two existing cats used to her now without murdering it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

_Brian wrote: »
    Got an abandoned kitten.
    Couldn’t pass the poor devil up.

Have to try to get two existing cats used to her now without murdering it.

careful now, moe than 3 and you are in crazy cat person territory

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

What did vulture fund think of your new tractor by the way?

Tractor was a business purchase

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Went to a local pub here yesterday evening for a bite to eat with herself and the young lads. All protocols seem to be in place and every table had someone at it.

I even had a pint before we left (usually the young lads are starting to go a bit wild by that stage - they must be getting big!) and it was a lovely evening. Great to get out.

Hopefully people will continue with masks, distancing, etc. and local pubs and businesses like this will stay open

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just had the weirdest thing happen me. Cow just after calving. As I'm checking the calf to see if bull or heifer, I hear this cracking sound . Massive ash branch falls about 30 feet behind me. Crazy.
    Wind not that strong either, just a breeze. I had just walked under it a minute before. The dangers of farming eh !!

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

Tractor was a business purchase

Thanks for taking time to answer, you mean a different business to the one vulture fund is chasing i presume? ( and not available to them?) Need not answer if you like. Dont know how all that works ( to me you owe what you owe)

emaherx wrote: »
    careful now, moe than 3 and you are in crazy cat person territory

Sher that would be just one more crazy badge to the collection so :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

And me not wearing my safety hat. :D

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

A stray cat arrived at my sister's house a few weeks ago. Thry had a cat a few years ago but it got run over. My nephew and my sister love cats. Her husband is allergic to cats and the daughter who is 16 has an irrational fear of animals. Anyway the cat has made itself at home. You wont find an animal better looked after than by my nephew and sister. It's as if it was meant to be there. Just hope some one doesn't lay claim to her.

One fell very close to my dad and young lad when they were bringing in the cows yesterday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Just had the weirdest thing happen me. Cow just after calving. As I'm checking the calf to see if bull or heifer, I hear this cracking sound . Massive ash branch falls about 30 feet behind me. Crazy.
    Wind not that strong either, just a breeze. I had just walked under it a minute before. The dangers of farming eh !!

Had something similar to that happen to me out rolling a field one day. While doing the second round of the headland I can across a large tree. Doubted myself that it wasnt there before till i noticed the mark of the roller underneath it. Could he e been no more than 5 or 10 mins from doing the first round

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Reports that Mrs Patsy was seen with the bushman earlier were entirely unrelated :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,220 ✭✭✭Dozer1

one fell on my dads car as he was driving during the week...and it was bigger than that frightened the crap out of him when it hit the roof

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Thanks for taking time to answer, you mean a different business to the one vulture fund is chasing i presume? ( and not available to them?) Need not answer if you like. Dont know how all that works ( to me you owe what you owe)

Fund is after me personally for a loan I took out for an apartment to live in. We can go to DMs at this stage if you wish for answers (not all answers cos don't want to disclose all my business!)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement