Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Thanks for taking time to answer, you mean a different business to the one vulture fund is chasing i presume? ( and not available to them?) Need not answer if you like. Dont know how all that works ( to me you owe what you owe)

Not necessarily, I've heard of some great write offs in the last couple years
    You just have to be beligerent

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

wrangler wrote: »

The future of the human race ain't bright

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The original poster of that pic has form in this and knows well what the creep feeder is used for. You won't have to go far back in her timeline to see similar.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Do you need to build walls for a shed or could you just use sheeting and timber boards on the inside?

If it wasn't used for cattle I don't see why walls would be neccessary?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Do you need to build walls for a shed or could you just use sheeting and timber boards on the inside?

If it wasn't used for cattle I don't see why walls would be neccessary?

Plenty of cattle sheds have no walls.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭Grueller

Thanks for taking time to answer, you mean a different business to the one vulture fund is chasing i presume? ( and not available to them?) Need not answer if you like. Dont know how all that works ( to me you owe what you owe)

I used to think like that but by jesus when I see all of the NAMA property being bought back for a by previous owners for a fraction of what they owed prior to going into NAMA I think fair play and fight on Roosterman.
    I rent a patch of ground that was in NAMA. The guy who lost it to NAMA owed €14million on 140 acres. He let it all off to NAMA who sold it to a vulture fund. He left the 48 least valuable acres with the vultures and settled on the other 92 acres (all zoned residential on the edges of 3 large provincial towns) for €2 million. I now rent one of these parcels as he plans to sit on it while he develops the other 2.
    Like I said, keep going Rooster because the little guys deserve a break too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,551 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Grueller wrote: »
    I used to think like that but by jesus when I see all of the NAMA property being bought back for a by previous owners for a fraction of what they owed prior to going into NAMA I think fair play and fight on Roosterman.
    I rent a patch of ground that was in NAMA. The guy who lost it to NAMA owed €14million on 140 acres. He let it all off to NAMA who sold it to a vulture fund. He left the 48 least valuable acres with the vultures and settled on the other 92 acres (all zoned residential on the edges of 3 large provincial towns) for €2 million. I now rent one of these parcels as he plans to sit on it while he develops the other 2.

Thanks, but to be honest, I'm screwed. Am going to lose the properties after the recent sneaky legislation passed through with the Covid measures. There's 2 I got (for me and my sister) on a good enough deal from a developer who bought them for cheap off NAMA. Paid the repayments from 2014 to 2017 and the loan was sold on (was one of the performing loans bundled with non performing ones) and the fund wanted the lump sum then. Which I didn't have. A recent judgement in the supreme court on another case regarding hearsay swung things in my favour. Then sneaky rule change, and now I'm guaranteed to lose.

So to hear Hayes was at that golf yoke with 3 different fund reps to cosy up to a judge, well it pissed me off. Shows who really is running the country, and it's not the lads in the Dáil

• Registered Users Posts: 21,398 ✭✭✭✭Water John

emaherx wrote: »
    Plenty of cattle sheds have no walls.

Anyway if you did end up putting cattle into it, you could sheet it with stokboard. Just space the timber runners correctly. Stokboard is 8' x 4'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Water John wrote: »
    Anyway if you did end up putting cattle into it, you could sheet it with stokboard. Just space the timber runners correctly. Stokboard is 8' x 4'.

I’m all for doing things differently but would it be hard to empty dung out of a non-wall shed?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

I’m all for doing things differently but would it be hard to empty dung out of a non-wall shed?

No, sure you can just drive through.
    of course it could have a slurry tank either.

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Thanks, but to be honest, I'm screwed. Am going to lose the properties after the recent sneaky legislation passed through with the Covid measures. There's 2 I got (for me and my sister) on a good enough deal from a developer who bought them for cheap off NAMA. Paid the repayments from 2014 to 2017 and the loan was sold on (was one of the performing loans bundled with non performing ones) and the fund wanted the lump sum then. Which I didn't have. A recent judgement in the supreme court on another case regarding hearsay swung things in my favour. Then sneaky rule change, and now I'm guaranteed to lose.

So to hear Hayes was at that golf yoke with 3 different fund reps to cosy up to a judge, well it pissed me off. Shows who really is running the country, and it's not the lads in the Dáil

This is why I try avoid paying if I can. Things like tv licence etc.

The government are shafting us all the time. And that's not even mentioning inflation which is theft.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

This is why I try avoid paying if I can. Things like tv licence etc.

The government are shafting us all the time. And that's not even mentioning inflation which is theft.

Everyone must pay their way too to some extent...

I had a similar debate with a friend of mine who was saying “the government are shafting us, sure I’m forced to work for cash as tax is too high and we get nothing back from it...“
    But he happy to accept his free hospital care, and send his kids to their free education... sure they’re things the government has to provide was his response... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Grueller wrote: »
    In addition, the same previous owners were on NAMA's books and feckin paid by them to oversee/look after the properties :mad:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Base price wrote: »
    In addition, the same previous owners were on NAMA's books and feckin paid by them to oversee/look after the properties :mad:

The same poor crateurs had to make do with a miserly 200k NAMA paid them to manage their own properties too.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

Not necessarily, I've heard of some great write offs in the last couple years
    You just have to be beligerent

I've heard of these too, but doesn't someone have to pay somewhere along the line ( taxpayer or bank customer fees )? I'm not trying to knock roosterman (dont want to know any private business)
    just for myself stopped paying water bills as uncles ( deceased now) house changed from domestic to business while he was in nursing home and wont change it back ( easier to cut off i suppose)

I've heard of these too, but doesn't someone have to pay somewhere along the line ( taxpayer or bank customer fees )? I'm not trying to knock roosterman (dont want to know any private business)
    just for myself stopped paying water bills as uncles ( deceased now) house changed from domestic to business while he was in nursing home and wont change it back ( easier to cut off i suppose)
    Don't start me about Irish Water :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Everyone must pay their way too to some extent...

I had a similar debate with a friend of mine who was saying “the government are shafting us, sure I’m forced to work for cash as tax is too high and we get nothing back from it...“
    But he happy to accept his free hospital care, and send his kids to their free education... sure they’re things the government has to provide was his response... :(

Must move to your area

No free hospital care here pay at admission pay for each night. Hang around for hours waiting to be seen. As for free education last yr it was costing average 80 to 100 euro a week with 5 in school. Plus nearly 700 for school bus. Then add on all the extras for sports trips, college trips. School books. Had one in first year last year another going in this yr and cannot use one of the books from last year even though they are nearly doing identical subjects.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,398 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes make every effort to pay any debts but also remember AIB have not been bailed once but twice in my lifetime by us, the citizens.

Base price wrote: »
    Don't start me about Irish Water :mad:

We're paying for water through a meter all my life, but I'm glad to pay for a good supply of clean safe water and I would have the same attitude to those that don't pay as Phil hogan has

• Advertisement

We're paying for water through a meter all my life, but I'm glad to pay for a good supply of clean safe water and I would have the same attitude to those that don't pay as Phil hogan has
    I don't mind paying for a good supply of clean safe water either. The battle is about to commence ;)

Water John wrote: »
    Yes make every effort to pay any debts but also remember AIB have not been bailed once but twice in my lifetime by us, the citizens.

It was the banks and the financial regulators (another inefficient Public Service) that made the recession worse than it should have been.
    Paying them nothing is working better in getting deals than trying to keep them onside.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Acquiescence

dzer2 wrote: »
    No free hospital care here pay at admission pay for each night. Hang around for hours waiting to be seen. As for free education last yr it was costing average 80 to 100 euro a week with 5 in school. Plus nearly 700 for school bus. Then add on all the extras for sports trips, college trips. School books. Had one in first year last year another going in this yr and cannot use one of the books from last year even though they are nearly doing identical subjects.

These were hardly unforeseen expenses?

You'd think you'd nearly have copped it by the third!

I can never understand this. I'm 33 and with my partner years. We have no children in a large part because we haven't considered ourselves to be financially secure enough to do so.

Complaining about the cost of ration when your stocking rate is too high..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

Yes I think water should be payed for, just got fed up with them changing meter type when homeowner in nursing home. as an aside did I read in journal some time ago ( comparing water rates in different counties) that some only charge one rental charge if a farmer has more than one meter?

These were hardly unforeseen expenses?

You'd think you'd nearly have copped it by the third!

I can never understand this. I'm 33 and with my partner years. We have no children in a large part because we haven't considered ourselves to be financially secure enough to do so.

Complaining about the cost of ration when your stocking rate is too high..

I often thought that, if you thought about children you'd never have them.
    We don't or won't have them either at this stage and it amazes me how people do it. I see 12 -14 yr old s at 6ft now so parents are feeding and clothing four or five adult size humans on a couple of incomes and if anything the kids are harder run than the parents,

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

dzer2 wrote: »
    Must move to your area

Was just saying last night that I didnt miss all the texts looking for money for this ,that and the other. Luckily have book scheme in secondary and primary schools here. But saved a bomb during lockdown not having to give lunch money, school trips money etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

I often thought that, if you thought about children you'd never have them.
    We don't or won't have them either at this stage and it amazes me how people do it. I see 12 -14 yr old s at 6ft now so parents are feeding and clothing four or five adult size humans on a couple of incomes and if anything the kids are harder run than the parents,

5 here 3 teenagers and our eldest daughter is 12. All nearly 6ft. Even the baby at 9 is close to 5ft. Had a close relation stay with us during the lock down. He just couldn't get over the amount of food consumed in a week. 5 meals a day. He reckoned he put on close to a stone in weight over 10 weeks while ours never put on an ounce. We didn't have children just to show them off or be accepted in society. It was a life choice and they have provided some of the best moments of our lives so far and long may it continue.
    I just feel that in the last 25 yrs the plebs have to pay for everything and subsidise the higher echelons. Like paying for photo copying and notes in schools that could be written in to the "homework journal @ €10". Each yr the schools come up with a new charge. Getting the mocks marked by outside teachers at 70 euro per child so the stufents own teachers can do the same for a different school.

Yes I think water should be payed for, just got fed up with them changing meter type when homeowner in nursing home. as an aside did I read in journal some time ago ( comparing water rates in different counties) that some only charge one rental charge if a farmer has more than one meter?

We've three meters here and have to pay rental on the three. It's easier that running three wells anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

whelan2 wrote: »
    Was just saying last night that I didnt miss all the texts looking for money for this ,that and the other. Luckily have book scheme in secondary and primary schools here. But saved a bomb during lockdown not having to give lunch money, school trips money etc.

What's this about lunch money??never had a bob myself going to school. Just the sandwiches and the flask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

ruwithme wrote: »
    What's this about lunch money??never had a bob myself going to school. Just the sandwiches and the flask.

Ours get subsidised lunches in school. 2 euro will get you a spaghetti bolognese or something. I hate making school lunches with a passion. Used to make pitta breads every morning for eldest lad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement