Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

ruwithme wrote: »
    What's this about lunch money??never had a bob myself going to school. Just the sandwiches and the flask.

I was going to say something similar but would just be showing my age.
    All the money programmes on tv criticise those that buy their lunch out every day not forgetting the 2.50 for the spoon of instant that comes into a massive fixed cost every year........ what happened to hang sangidges

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ours get subsidised lunches in school. 2 euro will get you a spaghetti bolognese or something. I hate making school lunches with a passion. Used to make pitta breads every morning for eldest lad.

Ours take pasta and rolls or wraps 4 days and get 5 euro on a Friday for their lunch. They dont have to bring books home this yr so more room for food we were told. Also not allowed to bring Hurleys either. Young lad wants to know what he is to do at break time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

dzer2 wrote: »
    Ours take pasta and rolls or wraps 4 days and get 5 euro on a Friday for their lunch. They dont have to bring books home this yr so more room for food we were told. Also not allowed to bring Hurleys either. Young lad wants to know what he is to do at break time.
    What's the story there?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

wrangler wrote: »
    I was going to say something similar but would just be showing my age.
    All the money programmes on tv criticise those that buy their lunch out every day not forgetting the 2.50 for the spoon of instant that comes into a massive fixed cost every year........ what happened to hang sangidges

The lunch is 2 euro and it's a healthy lunch. There's a free breakfast. But I prefer for them to eat breakfast at home so I know they have had something before they go. 2 euro is reasonable enough as tbh I'd be throwing out the lunch I sent in with them

Base price wrote: »
    What's the story there?

Was talking to someone earlier and the art teacher has to move to each class, kids cant come to the art room and use the brushes that everyone else uses etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

dzer2 wrote: »
    Must move to your area

No free hospital care here pay at admission pay for each night. Hang around for hours waiting to be seen. As for free education last yr it was costing average 80 to 100 euro a week with 5 in school. Plus nearly 700 for school bus. Then add on all the extras for sports trips, college trips. School books. Had one in first year last year another going in this yr and cannot use one of the books from last year even though they are nearly doing identical subjects.

The friend I was talking to has a medical card dzer - so there is your free hospital care... And who do you think ultimately pays for this?

Education is free - I know there is plenty you have to pay for, school books, school bus, trips...
    But if you had to pay for school on top of everything you’ve listed above - you’d know all about it...
    Sister in law lives in the states - far less tax, but you pay well to go to a good school. And college could be 30k or more a year...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

What's the story there?

New covid regulations something about hitting the ball to each other might spread the virus. First day he has gone to school without his best friend.

The lunch is 2 euro and it's a healthy lunch. There's a free breakfast. But I prefer for them to eat breakfast at home so I know they have had something before they go. 2 euro is reasonable enough as tbh I'd be throwing out the lunch I sent in with them

That’s very good Whelan - do a lot of schools do this now?

I dont know but they are getting something good to eat in the middle of the day. Free fruit always available too.

so there is your free hospital care...

If you live long enough to get seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The school our lassie is at had boarders up until Covid.
    That option is gone, so kids who were boarding will likely have to find another school.
    As they are gone, it'll free up classroom space, but also means that the kitchens are not going to be used any more.
    And this means that the option for day pupils to get a hot dinner is now gone too
    .Its a pity, because they generally seem to eat it better than what they brought from home...

• Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Everyone must pay their way too to some extent...

I had a similar debate with a friend of mine who was saying “the government are shafting us, sure I’m forced to work for cash as tax is too high and we get nothing back from it...“
    But he happy to accept his free hospital care, and send his kids to their free education... sure they’re things the government has to provide was his response... :(

I pay far more tax than I get back.

What government have done in relation to housing will cost me tens of thousands alone.

The amount of money wasted is disgusting. Any feasible way I can take my money back, I will take.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    The school our lassie is at had boarders up until Covid.
    That option is gone, so kids who were boarding will likely have to find another school.
    As they are gone, it'll free up classroom space, but also means that the kitchens are not going to be used any more.
    And this means that the option for day pupils to get a hot dinner is now gone too
    .Its a pity, because they generally seem to eat it better than what they brought from home...

A grind school in the local town announced yesterday that they were closing as they lost too much money during the lockdown so there's loads of kids trying to get into other schools to sit their leaving cert.
    And that's not talking about the foreign kids that are currently in isolation before supposedly starting their LC studies next week.
    I suppose what I'm saying is all problems are relative.

I pay far more tax than I get back.

What government have done in relation to housing will cost me tens of thousands alone.

The amount of money wasted is disgusting. Any feasible way I can take my money back, I will take.

The amount of money wasted is terrible, I agree... And I do think we don’t get value for money in the taxes we pay most of the time...

If you really want to ‘get money back’ - give up work, draw the dole...

But I don’t support your ‘I pay tax therefore other laws don’t apply to me’ attitude...

Back to normality here. Milking done, calves a heifer, have to be at football for 8.55

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

The school has to be designated DEIS. So it would be disadvantaged status. It takes into account everything from the socioeconomic background of the locality (by live register figures and medical card holders etc)

The school then would have subsidised lunches, slightly better capitation grants, access to special schemes and then also part of a criteria for easier access to a college course.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,398 ✭✭✭✭Water John

People complain about taxes. Take any large national or secondary school and do the maths of annual cost. Anywhere between 500,000 and a million.
    See girl from the US now living in Dublin on TV. Her student loan was $135,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

These were hardly unforeseen expenses?

You'd think you'd nearly have copped it by the third!

I can never understand this. I'm 33 and with my partner years. We have no children in a large part because we haven't considered ourselves to be financially secure enough to do so.

Complaining about the cost of ration when your stocking rate is too high..

I kniw they can defend themselves if tjey choose, but tbf I didnt see the OP say anything about children being too expensive, only about the creeping charges in out society.
    There's not too much to be afraid of amyway, they cost nothing much only time for the first 10 years, you'd spend far more on any hobby and they're way more craic and better than anything else I'd be at. If you haven't succeeded in providing for them in tat length if time there's always the fallback of the social and the medical card, and if they're well reared they'll be mostly able to look after themselves with a bit help and guidance

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭Donegalforever

The same poor crateurs had to make do with a miserly 200k NAMA paid them to manage their own properties too.

Yea, they were hard done by. Life is very unfair. I am sure they are eating dry bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

These were hardly unforeseen expenses?

You'd think you'd nearly have copped it by the third!

I can never understand this. I'm 33 and with my partner years. We have no children in a large part because we haven't considered ourselves to be financially secure enough to do so.

Complaining about the cost of ration when your stocking rate is too high..

It's like the old joke "Don't you know that four people can live as cheaply as two?"
    "But only for half as long!"
    Most people give up or cut back on some things when they have kids, be it beers, weekends away, meals out, Nissan Skyline GTR's....

If you wait till you are financially secure enough, you'll be too late...

• Advertisement

We have 3 kids, they work to earn money to buy what they want. I will pay for what they need. As long as they are fed and warm and happy , it doesn't have to cost a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,398 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Have a neighbouring family on one income disability and they put five through college. Not many countries you could do that in.

The school has to be designated DEIS. So it would be disadvantaged status. It takes into account everything from the socioeconomic background of the locality (by live register figures and medical card holders etc)

The school then would have subsidised lunches, slightly better capitation grants, access to special schemes and then also part of a criteria for easier access to a college course.
    We got food parcels delivered during lockdown from the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,797 ✭✭✭straight

Water John wrote: »
    People complain about taxes. Take any large national or secondary school and do the maths of annual cost. Anywhere between 500,000 and a million.
    See girl from the US now living in Dublin on TV. Her student loan was $135,000.

Alot more value for money could be achieved no doubt. How much of that cost goes on overpaid and under worked staff.

We got food parcels delivered during lockdown from the school.

We did the same- the surplus money that would have provided subsidised lunches until may 31st was used to send a few bits.

We did the same- the surplus money that would have provided subsidised lunches until may 32st was used to send a few bits.

How does it feel to be back?

How does it feel to be back?

Very weird with all the regulation.
    Spent my two days ensuring physically everything was set up right.

Our staff meeting was cancelled as it would be bad optics with what happened in Galway. (We had booked local community centre)

Spent 3 hours trying to meet virtually but the network couldn’t sustain all 40 devices at once. So eventually 3 classrooms, divided group by 3 and presented 3 time’s. Covid Didn’t leave anytime for normal school running topics.

My personal message was clear, I will do whatever it takes to stay open. Our students need it and to be honest, we need it.

There is a heartbreaking photo on twitter (I know they can be staged but I bet they exist) of a little boy in America crying with frustration with virtual lessons.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

A friend lives near a school and she said it was great to hear the children back playing in the yard at break times.

A friend lives near a school and she said it was great to hear the children back playing in the yard at break times.

We could hear the school bell on Friday from local school. Was good to hear it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Mcguiness on radio 1 now

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement