Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Would a newborn calf survive 3 days on a liter of colostrum? I'm a bit baffled by this.
    Calf born 3 days ago and weak enough when born. She wouldn't suck when I put the teat in her mouth, so I milked cow and tubed a liter into her (all I could get from the cow (3rd calver). Checked calf Saturday & Sunday and while I didn't see it drink, she seemed lively enough. Checked her this morning and seemed empty. Brought cow over hear her and she tried suckling around the cow's neck and high up on her udder.
    Brought both into yard and latched calf on teat in crush. She drank like mad but when ever she lost teat she couldn't get it back. Anyway, she got her fill but from what I saw, she never drank on her own. Would she survive that long and seem healthy? She's small but not tiny.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

Would a newborn calf survive 3 days on a liter of colostrum? I'm a bit baffled by this.
    Calf born 3 days ago and weak enough when born. She wouldn't suck when I put the teat in her mouth, so I milked cow and tubed a liter into her (all I could get from the cow (3rd calver). Checked calf Saturday & Sunday and while I didn't see it drink, she seemed lively enough. Checked her this morning and seemed empty. Brought cow over hear her and she tried suckling around the cow's neck and high up on her udder.
    Brought both into yard and latched calf on teat in crush. She drank like mad but when ever she lost teat she couldn't get it back. Anyway, she got her fill but from what I saw, she never drank on her own. Would she survive that long and seem healthy? She's small but not tiny.

Would it be more likely that she got some, but with low blood sugar literally got dumber over the few days? Had a similar one in February, she definitely drank from the cow on the first day herself but went downhill, I ended up tube feeding her for a few days as she wouldn't suck, expecting to find her dead daily only for her to come right and go back to drinking the cow herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

emaherx wrote: »
    Would it be more likely that she got some, but with low blood sugar literally got dumber over the few days? Had a similar one in February, she definitely drank from the cow on the first day herself but went downhill, I ended up tube feeding her for a few days as she wouldn't suck, expecting to find her dead daily only for her to come right and go back to drinking the cow herself.

Ya maybe. You'd think by now she'd be drinking fine. A lot to be said for separating them. You'd know for sure then.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

ganmo wrote: »
    I'm not a big politico but when I heard that they wanted a Male and female candidate McGuinness was the first name that popped into my head, the radio was talking about convey so a FG candidate is possible.

I wonder is Coveney the token male in this charade, with McGuinness the one they'd prefer (no by election, no adding to vacant posts) it strikes me as a strange decision. I always understood his ambition was to become Taoiseach, maybe I've misunderstood that if he ends up getting the post. If he does genuinely go for the job, is it a money/prestige type decision or has he had a think about the future political landscape and thought, nahhhhhhh. Christmas come early for me if it got him out of domestic politics.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Theres gremlins in with the hamsters again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

I wonder is Coveney the token male in this charade, with McGuinness the one they'd prefer (no by election, no adding to vacant posts) it strikes me as a strange decision. I always understood his ambition was to become Taoiseach, maybe I've misunderstood that if he ends up getting the post. If he does genuinely go for the job, is it a money/prestige type decision or has he had a think about the future political landscape and thought, nahhhhhhh. Christmas come early for me if it got him out of domestic politics.

I'd would like to see Coveney stay here and deal with Brexit. Give McGuiness the commissioner job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

ganmo wrote: »
    Theres gremlins in with the hamsters again

Yeah, there's a problem with servers syncing, if I'm understanding it properly. It should be sorted in the morning, hopefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,395 ✭✭✭✭Water John

If there was a nod that Coveney might get the Trade Portfolio then I think all in Govn't would be happy to see him get it. McGuinness might not be seen as heavy enough to get that specific job.

ʎllnɟədoɥ 'buıuɹoɯ əɥʇ uı pəʇɹos əq plnoɥs ʇı ˙ʎlɹədoɹd ʇı buıpuɐʇsɹəpun ɯ,ı ɟı 'buıɔuʎs sɹəʌɹəs ɥʇıʍ ɯəlqoɹd ɐ s,əɹəɥʇ 'ɥɐəʎ

All the moderators posts are appearing upside down the hamsters running the mod server must also be foobarred too ;)

Yeah, there's a problem with servers syncing, if I'm understanding it properly. It should be sorted in the morning, hopefully.

I've a bit of DeJa Vu..... is this a new post? or just another one of the old ones that keeps getting bumped to the top? :D

• Advertisement

I've a bit of DeJa Vu..... is this a new post? or just another one of the old ones that keeps getting bumped to the top? :D

Very good point head honcho.

Very good point head honcho.

¿uo ƃuᴉoƃ s,ʇɐɥʍ ɐǝpᴉ ou ǝʌ,I

¿uo ƃuᴉoƃ s,ʇɐɥʍ ɐǝpᴉ ou ǝʌ,I

Apparently the board's server room is now a crime scene. Dead hamsters everywhere.. backup hamsters have fled the country.. disaster..

NcdJd wrote: »
    I'd would like to see Coveney stay here and deal with Brexit. Give McGuiness the commissioner job.

That's what I would expect to happen. I can't figure why his name is in the reckoning as I don't believe his ambitions lie outside Ireland, for the time being anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I see Enda Kenny is to present an Irish language program on RT

What the he’ll is going on in Donnybrook !!

A long retired person on a likely 6 figure pension with Garda protection.

Why no young person needing a start ??

RTis a dinosaur Living in the old boys network to keep the money circulating within a small number.

This is why I’m glad to have evaded the licence fee all these years !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭straight

_Brian wrote: »

RTis a dinosaur Living in the old boys network to keep the money circulating within a small number.

Russia Today?

straight wrote: »
    Russia Today?

He's from Cavan, just too mean to use all the letters. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's hundreds of programs in Irish on Tg4 with young and old with unfamiliar names. Watch and praise them Brian!

Don't see a problem tbh. If a retired well known fluent Irish speaker gets to air a program on the main channels and raise the profile of the language..more power to them and the producers.

Just because you're retired from one occupation. Doesn't mean you're dead and buried at 65.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

There's hundreds of programs in Irish on Tg4 with young and old with unfamiliar names. Watch and praise them Brian!

Don't see a problem tbh. If a retired well known fluent Irish speaker gets to air a program on the main channels and raise the profile of the language..more power to them and the producers.

Just because you're retired from one occupation. Doesn't mean you're dead and buried at 65.

I agree . Cannot stand the constant bashing of public figures. The opportunity is there for anybody to stand as a public representative. See do they think the money is worth it. Any good calibre td could make many times over in the private sector.
    This constant €100k and pension lark. They are not packing shelves for feck sake.

emaherx wrote: »
    He's from Cavan, just too mean to use all the letters. :D

😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

At a football game away tonight. No floodlights there. Game started at 7. Soccer. Senior womens team. One of our players got injured at 8.40. An ambulance was called. It still hadnt arrived 5 minutes ago. A bad back injury. Player can't be moved. Pitch is along the sea and it's very cold there now.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,395 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The whole med situation in the NE seems sh1te.
    Down here, in fairness we'd have First Reponder Dr on the scene, in a short time. Also possibly air community ambulance to evacuate.
    Hope she's gets fully recovered.

Water John wrote: »
    The whole med situation in the NE seems sh1te.
    Down here, in fairness we'd have First Reponder Dr on the scene, in a short time. Also possibly air community ambulance to evacuate.
    Hope she's gets fully recovered.

Game was in Balbriggan. Which I assume would be a Dunlin call out. We left the pitch at 10pm. Ambulance didnt come until 10.20. 90 minutes after it was called. She was still lying on the pitch when we left....

Anyone watching The Silver Branch on rte? About a farmer / poet called Patrick McCormack. Lovely documentary.

"what will the next generation's stories aspire from" I like that phrase.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭older by the day

NcdJd wrote: »
    Anyone watching The Silver Branch on rte? About a farmer / poet called Patrick McCormack. Lovely documentary.

Watching it now on rte+1, he would do with a few lorrys off top soil. I wouldn't like to be ploughing there

Watching it now on rte+1, he would do with a few lorrys off top soil. I wouldn't like to be ploughing there

I'm sure the soil is well rich from being manured. My grandfather in Galway my mother used to send myself and brother to him for two months of the summer holiday to help him out with the hay, turf and painting the roofs on the sheds etc his own son, my uncle, wouldn't do a tap to help him out, waste of space. My grandmother used to have lovely big onions growing in the garden, considering a lot of people called it boggy / black soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

What the..!

A program on "gravy trains! - I don't have the Irish translation gravy train ????

Early mornings starting to feel like it would be nice to have heating on for 30mins.
    Mowed on the lawn in the dark last night until after nine, rained overnight so glad I did.

• Advertisement

Youngest lad iff to secondary school. He was the only one on the bus

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement