Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If you climb a tree you'll be fine.

Dig a trench in the ground,, cover it with branches and leaves, fifteen feet of dung on top and you will be fine.

Ah jaysus I'm going to bed if an asteroid hits us so be it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

You will be first up, let the rest of us know if we have anything left to get up for.

You will be first up, let the rest of us know if we have anything left to get up for.

Wake up I'm awake....

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Are. Dublin still all Ireland champions?

Have just discovered Dundalk are heading to penalties so will have to risk not being hit by an asteroid while I watch them

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Planet probably needs re-setting alright;)

Switch it off and switch it back on again, be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

YEAH we are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Unfortunately.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Base price wrote: »
    YEAH we are :D

Sure the double is on for tomorrow!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

ganmo wrote: »
    Sure the double is on for tomorrow!
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Wonder how will this affect oil prices ??
    Just filled the kero tank this week.

http://news.sky.com/story/us-blames-iran-for-drone-attack-on-critical-saudi-oil-facility-11809206

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »

http://news.sky.com/story/us-blames-iran-for-drone-attack-on-critical-saudi-oil-facility-11809206

10 drones attacked it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭jaymla627

_Brian wrote: »

Whatever about oil prices, if Saudi Arabia retaliate against Iran, all bets are off in the Middle East, would make the Iraq/Syria isis conflict look like a playground scuffle in comparison to what’s to come, Trump really isn’t the president to preside over this

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Whatever about oil prices, if Saudi Arabia retaliate against Iran, all bets are off in the Middle East, would make the Iraq/Syria isis conflict look like a playground scuffle in comparison to what’s to come, Trump really isn’t the president to preside over this

Maybe he is. Get it over quick

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

One really doesn't want the Shia and Sunni Muslims kicking off in a big way. Major ripple effect across the Islamic world. This is down to Trump, he had a deal with the Iranians and he tore it up, for petty petulance.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Nothing like a confronting a tresspasser on a Sunday morning. Wandering when ya cant see 40ft with the fog is fecking stupid anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

dont think Trump gives a fiddlers about Middle East..... hes interested in himself and his own country and everyone else can look after themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

The least militarily adventurous U.S. President in 40 years, not one of his guns out predecessors is exactly what is needed.

Water John wrote: »
    One really doesn't want the Shia and Sunni Muslims kicking off in a big way. Major ripple effect across the Islamic world. This is down to Trump, he had a deal with the Iranians and he tore it up, for petty petulance.

It's been kicking on and off for a thousand years now.

In Yemen you can see the creation of South Yemen decades ago as purely the Sunni side wanting a pure state of their own.

The current civil war there also started before he was President.
    Might as well say he caused the Yemennite war of 1979, go all out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is all galvanise the same profile?

Want to do a repair to a 30 year old shed and new sheets will need to match profile of old sheets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,839 ✭✭✭Odelay

Unlikely, I know the box profile cladding has changed to get more coverage out if it.
    Maybe tell the supplier how many ridges are on a sheet. Or sometimes you can see the makers stamp on the underside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,495 ✭✭✭148multi

Iran won an international court of justice case against the US in 2018 over sanctions, the Saudis are just contracting for the US in Yemen. Another allie of the US bombed 16 oil pipelines in Iran in April 96 or 97, will there be an all-out war? unlikely, they are just sniping at one another. There is some very dirty s**t going on in Yemen in the name of the west. The policy is just being continued by trump.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Jim_11

There's a sobac pelleted fertilizer made from compost with what looks like being inoculated with fungi. Some poster's on here claim some success with it.

I wouldn't really buy into foliars being harmful to soil biology. If you were using natural products like seaweed juice and molasses, you'll have a good amount that'll reach the soil anyway and it'll definitely feed the biology.

Yea roadstone arklow is a basalt pit. And I reckon the real good stuff too. 1 or 2 ton to the acre would be no problem at all and probably would be a good figure at which just to try it. Maybe you might be lucky but when I contacted them a few years ago and I told them my plans they just never called me back. It's sold as quarry dust. I think theirs is 4mm to zero.
    If you did get it though you'd get a bigger bang for your buck by mixing the basalt into your dungheap and let the microbes in the dung do their thing on the dust and then spread the whole lot together later on.

https://twitter.com/REMIN_rockdust/status/1171445169574445057?s=20

You're dead right though to bring the boron up in your soil. If you bring the boron up, the less nitrogen you'll need to apply. And also dead right to slowly make the change on cutting back fert.
    I think though you'll have to be bringing something back onto the farm to compensate for nutrients leaving the farm whether it be going with more straw in the future or bringing in woodchip or bought meal etc.

Keep us informed how the multispecies crop goes on.

Edit :Just thinking about the multispecies crop just being established. I'd seriously consider putting out a fert now with a bit of p and k and n and boron. It'd be the same as anyone sowing beet. The boron in the conventional fert will do no harm to soil biology.

Gonna give sobac a go on the dung, any suppliers in the SE?
    Gonna get a few loads of basalt delivered to the yard, spread some direct and I’ll try putting a few scoops in the sheds before the straw bedding, doubled the number of straw bought this year, any thoughts on quality of dung from barley vs wheaten vs oaten straw, I can get wheaten straw fairly cheap this year
    Boron foliar going on this week, €35/10l at 2l/ha

Saw some posters mention that they are buying in silage not to be taking all the nutrients off their own land, you’re not gonna be sure of what you’re buying but for dry sucklers or outwintered cattle for fibre it would be grand, less hassle worrying about the weather, fert, contractor too. Worked it out here before that it’s averaging €23-25/bale to make depending on fert and bales/acre

148multi wrote: »
    Iran won an international court of justice case against the US in 2018 over sanctions, the Saudis are just contracting for the US in Yemen. Another allie of the US bombed 16 oil pipelines in Iran in April 96 or 97, will there be an all-out war? unlikely, they are just sniping at one another. There is some very dirty s**t going on in Yemen in the name of the west. The policy is just being continued by trump.

Countries there have their own motivations, Will and abilities.

They are not formless fools being played by the West.

I

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Jim_11 wrote: »
    Gonna give sobac a go on the dung, any suppliers in the SE?
    Gonna get a few loads of basalt delivered to the yard, spread some direct and I’ll try putting a few scoops in the sheds before the straw bedding, doubled the number of straw bought this year, any thoughts on quality of dung from barley vs wheaten vs oaten straw, I can get wheaten straw fairly cheap this year
    Boron foliar going on this week, €35/10l at 2l/ha

Saw some posters mention that they are buying in silage not to be taking all the nutrients off their own land, you’re not gonna be sure of what you’re buying but for dry sucklers or outwintered cattle for fibre it would be grand, less hassle worrying about the weather, fert, contractor too. Worked it out here before that it’s averaging €23-25/bale to make depending on fert and bales/acre

I'm sending you a private message.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I put out CAN at the weekend, I see there is no rain forecast til the weekend down here...
    Will much of the nitrogen be lost, if it doesn’t get a shower for a few days?

It went out on stubble turnips, so onto brown ground...

I put out CAN at the weekend, I see there is no rain forecast til the weekend down here...
    Will much of the nitrogen be lost, if it doesn’t get a shower for a few days?

It went out on stubble turnips, so onto brown ground...

CAN doesn't need rain. That's urea

Eldest lad went back to college today after 5 months off. One off my dry cows decided to calve way far away and the calf went down into a deep double ditch. My 75 year old dad went down and tied a rope on the calf and I pulled it up. A Belgian blue heifer. All is good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

When you're sitting waiting for the hedgecutter driver to go into the paddock with the stock in it. And to pass the time you write out your English name in Ogham .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement