Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

whelan2 wrote: »
    Youngest lad iff to secondary school. He was the only one on the bus

Time doesn’t be long going by

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Had a chap retire this week. 66yo bachelor.

He was saying their farm in a single lifetime has gone from comfortably rearing a family of 5 children to essentially zero income.
    He said in the 60’s it was a viable lifestyle That in a year or two you could save enough to buy a new tractor or put up a new shed. Where now he has to manage with a 25yo tractor and patch up the sheds he has.

No family left locally to pass the land on to, those family he has will likely sell or plant it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Council just went up the road spraying the grass and weeds along by the footpath. There isn't anything worth spraying along this stretch to be honest. There are signs 100 yards away on the road margins saying they are being left for nature and no mowing. Makes ya wonder

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

_Brian wrote: »

He was saying their farm in a single lifetime has gone from comfortably rearing a family of 5 children to essentially zero income.
    He said in the 60’s it was a viable lifestyle That in a year or two you could save enough to buy a new tractor or put up a new shed. Where now he has to manage with a 25yo tractor and patch up the sheds he has.

No family left locally to pass the land on to, those family he has will likely sell or plant it.

And lads with an interest cant get access to land

• Registered Users Posts: 21,395 ✭✭✭✭Water John

In fairness, he can lease out the land, tax free. Yes it's sad how the profit per acre has dropped over the last 40 years.

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »

Yes, but what else has this guy got.
    There’s a lesson to us all there that land is nice but don’t neglect family either.

Yes, but what else has this guy got.
    There’s a lesson to us all there that land is nice but don’t neglect family either.

Oh I agree. That statement is just a personnel bitch

Water John wrote: »
    In fairness, he can lease out the land, tax free. Yes it's sad how the profit per acre has dropped over the last 40 years.

But to what end is the point.
    Knows nothing else, never travelled, doesn’t want to do anything else. I think it hit just where he’s at. I wouldn’t go as far as to say regretting where he’s at but obviously thinking about it and taking stock.

But to what end is the point.
    Knows nothing else, never travelled, doesn’t want to do anything else. I think it hit just where he’s at. I wouldn’t go as far as to say regretting where he’s at but obviously thinking about it and taking stock.

There’s a nice man probably touching 90
    I made a comment once to a neighbour it’s a pity .. never got married
    Reply was he used to go out with a local girl but she wasn’t up to the parents standards
    Life can be cruel too

He is 66 and has decided to retire. I only put up the land lease as a plus option given these facts. The majority like him continue on far too long, fair play to him.
    If he's healthy there's a lot of living to be done yet.

• Advertisement

There’s a nice man probably touching 90
    I made a comment once to a neighbour it’s a pity .. never got married
    Reply was he used to go out with a local girl but she wasn’t up to the parents standards
    Life can be cruel too

Seen that once myself. Fella bought a combine but the mother who was 90 years of age wouldnt allow him to write the cheque. Pure madness

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Reggie. wrote: »

Il second that nearly 2 years looking for a lease farm, any that have come up have ended up in the hands of well established land owners.

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Il second that nearly 2 years looking for a lease farm, any that have come up have ended up in the hands of well established land owners.

The alternative is a Land Commission which decides the most worthy candidate. You're not old enough to remember that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,198 ✭✭✭orm0nd

The alternative is a Land Commission which decides the most worthy candidate. You're not old enough to remember that.

Unless you were a strong FF supporter you had little or no chance of getting land from the land commission around here.

No before my time now . How did the land commission work did it limit the size of farms etc

No before my time now . How did the land commission work did it limit the size of farms etc

Had you to be getting the dole to be eligible
    Or was that something else?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There was a 24 year old female on nationwide yesterday evening leasing a dairy farm and seemed to be making a right go of it.
    Looked a positive news story.
    Her enthusiasm shone through.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭straight

There was a 24 year old female on nationwide yesterday evening leasing a dairy farm and seemed to be making a right go of it.

She did seem happy and she had fine calves. Was that the same program as frs was on. Another girl that gave up an office job to milk cows with frs. Encouraging stuff indeed.

straight wrote: »
    She did seem happy and she had fine calves. Was that the same program as frs was on. Another girl that gave up an office job to milk cows with frs. Encouraging stuff indeed.

Yea that was it.

People are more clued in today on farming and the variables that ensures whether there's a profit or loss.
    Seemed a solid couple with their heads screwed on.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The farm she leased was Tom Dicksons, She wouldn't have had to put much development into it, A very well set up farm, if rumours are to be believed it's not high rent and the stock came from home.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 280 ✭✭CertifiedSimp

Is the green cert good knowledge wise or just very basic stuff?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

orm0nd wrote: »
    Unless you were a strong FF supporter you had little or no chance of getting land from the land commission around here.

Lot of politics involved alright. Around here they made some balls of it, people getting smallish 10-20 acre parcels of land miles apart. Compare that to how the Dutch divided up reclaimed polder land.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

wrangler wrote: »
    The farm she leased was Tom Dicksons, She wouldn't have had to put much development into it, A very well set up farm, if rumours are to be believed it's not high rent and the stock came from home.

Is this a Westmeath farm ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Is this a Westmeath farm ?

Yes , Moate

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

orm0nd wrote: »

They managed to get some very favourable arrangements on rates too. Some sizeable pieces of heavy macamore land when rates couldn’t be met for a period of time and taken over by a ff councillor who “settled” the rates in return for the deeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

If he could tolerate it, it might be time to look for a young lassie or lad interested in leasing it.
    Get someone who has a genuine interest and see how it goes, then look at a five or ten year lease.
    Keep a bit for himself, and keep some stock if he liked.

"Favourite Nephews" (or Neices) don't have to be blood relatives.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    If he could tolerate it, it might be time to look for a young lassie or lad interested in leasing it.
    Get someone who has a genuine interest and see how it goes, then look at a five or ten year lease.
    Keep a bit for himself, and keep some stock if he liked.

"Favourite Nephews" (or Neices) don't have to be blood relatives.

Ahh yea but how many bachelors do you know will take in someone like that. Very private proud lads who rarely want to let on their age is marching on or that they might need help.

Ahh yea but how many bachelors do you know will take in someone like that. Very private proud lads who rarely want to let on their age is marching on or that they might need help.

How has he retired yet still going to farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

When is the new minister for agriculture being announced?

• Advertisement

whelan2 wrote: »
    When is the new minister for agriculture being announced?

I got it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement