Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

Sorry for your loss chops. Look after yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is there anyone here who can give me a bit of tax advice? I am willing to pay. I don’t have an accountant and mams is my brother.

Long story short; Mam is due some money (6k) for land damage/access from a semi state but to keep below a threshold in their accounts, They want to give me a cheque for half and I then pass it to her. How to I do this without me having a tax liability on the 3k so she can maximise her few quid. She would only have lower tax rate.

You can gift 3k tax free to a family member

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I passed by the local national school yesterday, 2:40pm (I won't be going that route again).

The increased number of cars parked either side of the school created chaos. Very few guardian/parents collecting children were wearing masks. The personnel supervising the children in the play yard in front of the school were wearing face shields without masks. I doubt if a face shield alone is enough protection for staff in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Is there anyone here who can give me a bit of tax advice? I am willing to pay. I don’t have an accountant and mams is my brother.

Long story short; Mam is due some money (6k) for land damage/access from a semi state but to keep below a threshold in their accounts, They want to give me a cheque for half and I then pass it to her. How to I do this without me having a tax liability on the 3k so she can maximise her few quid. She would only have lower tax rate.

I presume you have checked whether this compensation/damage payment is regarded as income for tax purposes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,115 ✭✭✭emaherx

NcdJd wrote: »

Meh, just a letter from one nut job who dosen't understand (or want to understand) irish agriculture. There's no end to people who believe we can grow any amount of food crops here and believe we'd be financially and environmentally better off too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Cant grow crops, livestock farming on the way out...
    Might as well sell to pension funds so they can plant the island in trees.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

emaherx wrote: »
    Meh, just a letter from one but job who dosen't understand (or want to understand) irish agriculture. There's no end to people who believe we can grow any amount of food crops here and believe we'd be financially and environmentally better off too.

Just surprised that agriland would publish this type of rubbish.

I wonder is that the ICABS John Tierney. Serial letter scribbler. Didn't and won't read the article. They say you should always read stuff from people you disagree with, but there are limits on how shiny I want my halo.

And all the tractors exported to Brazil to plough up more of the Amazon. No more shiny machinery threads:(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

I presume you have checked whether this compensation/damage payment is regarded as income for tax purposes.

The problem is my brother is the accountant and is saying it’s income. I reckon it could come under something else but he won’t even listen to me with options.

I wonder is that the ICABS John Tierney. Serial letter scribbler. Didn't and won't read the article. They say you should always read stuff from people you disagree with, but there are limits on how shiny I want my halo.

your lucky, I had no idea who that was.. I was going to myself "what the fck is this ****e"

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Ah it’s getting very boring, when a small group narcissistic brain nutrient deprived idiots get any opportunity to bring their ridiculous narrative to the public view it gets repetitive and uninteresting.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

your lucky, I had no idea who that was.. I was going to myself "what the fck is this ****e"

You're not doing too bad, you recognise ****e when you see it :D

Used to do a bit of hunting, that's where I knew the name from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'm just waiting for some one of those to start promoting the growing of Eucalyptus trees so we can reintroduce the native Koala back into the country:pac:

Cannibalism would be rampant due to lack of protein.Couldn't even hole up in a tree house as there would be always some smarter fcker that would cut down the tree with a chain saw.. :o

Any word on who'll be doing a stint as Agriculture Minister for Autumn?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Any word on who'll be doing a stint as Agriculture Minister for September?

I corrected that for you!!! As for the Agriland article I'd wouldn't be surprised at anything they'd publish tbh. I'd reckon you could let a different bundle of primary school children edit it weekly and the difference would be negligible tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The problem is my brother is the accountant and is saying it’s income. I reckon it could come under something else but he won’t even listen to me with options.

it might end up that you will have to pay tax on the 3k you receive but your mam won't pay tax on the 3k you give her.
    If the accountant won't sign off on it don't do it

• Advertisement

I'm just waiting for some one of those to start promoting the growing of Eucalyptus trees so we can reintroduce the native Koala back into the country:pac:

Surely people wouldnt be that careless and risk a Drop Bear getting through the net ffs...
    The old folk have alot of stories from the past when they wiped them out during the emu war.

And all the tractors exported to Brazil to plough up more of the Amazon. No more shiny machinery threads:(

Reggie will be asking Ponsee or Timbercat for the harvester dont worry, tooo much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,203 ✭✭✭DBK1

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Listening to the lads on tg4 commentating on the tour de France.
    One minute they're talking about model t cars, then onto buffalo mozerlla. They're gas!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Knight, this is not Income Tax. My understanding is the land was damaged and this is compensation. Thus it's a capital issue. The farm was depreciated by the action and this is recompense. But they really need to pay all to the owner of the property. You're not responsible for their accounting issues.

This would be regular where, for example the ESB would place a new line on the land. The capital asset is depreciated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Surely people wouldnt be that careless and risk a Drop Bear getting through the net ffs...
    The old folk have alot of stories from the past when they wiped them out during the emu war.

As long as they leave us our avacados and orange trees, we'll manage somehow:p

• Registered Users Posts: 21,390 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Knight I suggest FDC, they have an office in Ennis.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

Water John wrote: »
    Knight I suggest FDC, they have an office in Ennis.

Thanks John, I’ll look into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Newstalk radio have their reporter Henry McKean in a Kildare meat plant now.
    Be interesting to hear his impressions...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement