Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Ole chap got a picture message last month of a dead calf and tag no in photo from a neighbouring farmer with the simple message dead fr heifer calf, we had grazing took the last few years on this ground with two cuts of silage taken aswell, long story short we hadn't the grazing of ground this year just had it for silage ground and elderly landowner has it took back for this year as he got beam money and would of been over stocked if we had put our heifers on it, said farmer was in hospital for a few days around the time calf died so his nephew was herding and never copped calf...
    Transpires today that neighbouring farmer has ground rented out to another lad this two years who tapped up land owner today wondering if he could rent it thinking I was gone out of it, you couldnt keep up to lads sometimes

• Registered Users Posts: 29,514 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Newstalk radio have their reporter Henry McKean in a Kildare meat plant now.
    Be interesting to hear his impressions...

How did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

whelan2 wrote: »
    How did it go?

Not on yet, other stuff getting broadcast first...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

gozunda wrote: »

He will just be doing what he’s told. Is it really any odds who holds the portfolio.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

How did it go?

Seems to have been a boning plant, rather than a slaughter facility.

• Advertisement

Our dog had one pup this morning. She seemed fine all day but is very sick now. Oh is after bringing her to the vets. Hopefully she'll be ok

Our dog had one pup this morning. She seemed fine all day but is very sick now. Oh is after bringing her to the vets. Hopefully she'll be ok

Do hope everything is ok

• Registered Users Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

any word yet?

They are keeping her and the pup in. She might have more pups. He's going to ring me back in a while. We are missing her already :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They are keeping her and the pup in. She might have more pups. He's going to ring me back in a while. We are missing her already :mad:

Was thinking she probably had more pups
    Can they not say for certain, can they not scan her.

• Advertisement

wrangler wrote: »
    Was thinking she probably had more pups
    Can they not say for certain, can they not scan her.

Oh brought her to the vets, I was away. They put her on a drip, I'm assuming oxytocin and if that doesn't work he will do a section. She was fine this morning but went downhill this evening. She had 7 pups the last time a few years ago but her belly wasnt near as big this time so I assumed it was just the one pup

Oh brought her to the vets, I was away. They put her on a drip, I'm assuming oxytocin and if that doesn't work he will do a section. She was fine this morning but went downhill this evening. She had 7 pups the last time a few years ago but her belly wasnt near as big this time so I assumed it was just the one pup

We've had a couple here like that,We've only had about ten dogs having pups here in my lifetime and two did that, so common enough, they're not really an animal you can get a hand into

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Injured/lame livestock - I have 2 weanlings bull which required the services of a bone setter this spring -

They are both perfectly healthy apart from the wee strain they have when walking - could they be sold in the mart ? Or would I take an awful hit in bring them to the mart just when they would not be walking 100% correct?

Another option I am considering Is finishing both of the together at 16 months in the local abattoir beside me if that could be another option ....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

josephsoap wrote: »
    Injured/lame livestock - I have 2 weanlings bull which required the services of a bone setter this spring -

They are both perfectly healthy apart from the wee strain they have when walking - could they be sold in the mart ? Or would I take an awful hit in bring them to the mart just when they would not be walking 100% correct?

Another option I am considering Is finishing both of the together at 16 months in the local abattoir beside me if that could be another option ....

Provided there able to walk on all 4 feet without signs of being in pain I can't see what the problem would be in bringing them to the mart. As for what price they'll make that's another story, you'd be better announce them as being a bit crooked on one leg or whatever and sold as seen. This won't do much to help the sale price but at least there'll be no come back from the buyer. You could always chance them in the mart and if your not happy try plan B with the abattoir. Your sure they'll kill bulls at those age's?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

_Brian wrote: »
    He will just be doing what he’s told. Is it really any odds who holds the portfolio.

I guess we'll find out soon enough ...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭einn32

A live cattle ship left from NZ with around 5800 head on it departed for Japan a few days ago has gone missing. It will be another blow to live shipping I think.

How is she now

einn32 wrote: »
    A live cattle ship left from NZ with around 5800 head on it departed for Japan a few days ago has gone missing. It will be another blow to live shipping I think.

Only one crew rescued. 42 missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭josephsoap

Provided there able to walk on all 4 feet without signs of being in pain I can't see what the problem would be in bringing them to the mart. As for what price they'll make that's another story, you'd be better announce them as being a bit crooked on one leg or whatever and sold as seen. This won't do much to help the sale price but at least there'll be no come back from the buyer. You could always chance them in the mart and if your not happy try plan B with the abattoir. Your sure they'll kill bulls at those age's?

Cheers Albert- I also have a calf with lung damage ...he has recovered from the pneumonia and is thriving now but He still has bit of ‘breathing’ with him - would you want to announce anything with him too?

josephsoap wrote: »
    Cheers Albert- I also have a calf with lung damage ...he has recovered from the pneumonia and is thriving now but He still has bit of ‘breathing’ with him - would you want to announce anything with him too?

Maybe hold off and let it recover.

Pretty sure if you announce that you’ll be bringing it home anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭einn32

_Brian wrote: »
    Only one crew rescued. 42 missing.

Hope they find more but doesn't sound good. Lost the engine and then hit by a wave supposedly. Live shipping has been suspended.

wrangler wrote: »
    How is she now

Thry are operating on her this morning. Will update ye later on

• Registered Users Posts: 4,796 ✭✭✭straight

einn32 wrote: »
    Hope they find more but doesn't sound good. Lost the engine and then hit by a wave supposedly. Live shipping has been suspended.

Looked like a rust bucket. Must be no money at that side of the business either.

straight wrote: »
    Looked like a rust bucket. Must be no money at that side of the business either.

Big resistance to live shipping that side of the world and this may increase that pressure. Live shipments have a limited lifespan left. Accidents like this just add weight to the argument against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Typhoon hit it, you'd wonder more on route planner or whatever. Could have happened any ship if it got caught on a hurricane. More commentary on the livestock than the 40+ people missing.....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Mooooo wrote: »
    Typhoon hit it, you'd wonder more on route planner or whatever. Could have happened any ship if it got caught on a hurricane. More commentary on the livestock than the 40+ people missing.....

You'd wonder what happened the engines to quit?
    As posted above there's opposition from quarters against all forms of animal agriculture.
    It wouldn't be FUBAR for some of these headbangers to interfere with the engines in port or on ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

You'd wonder what happened the engines to quit?
    As posted above there's opposition from quarters against all forms of animal agriculture.
    It wouldn't be FUBAR for some of these headbangers to interfere with the engines in port or on ship.

Sure that's crazy talk

straight wrote: »

Hopefully it'll stop the begrudgers on this side complaining about the Department being so particular, there'd be no rustbuckets licensed anyway, all these rules are there for a reason.
    Livestock exports have to be perfect if they are to continue, only the short sighted think any different

Reggie. wrote: »
    Sure that's crazy talk

Some people are fit for anything

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2006/may/12/animalwelfare.topstories3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement