Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,395 ✭✭✭FintanMcluskey

wrangler wrote: »
    You'd wonder what other attraction this pathetic country has apart from tax concessions. do away with them and I'm sure they'd be gone. Intel beside me here employ 4500, a good few commute from this area, a lot work shifts so travel off peak,30 - 40 minute commute

Do away with them and Ireland turns into Romania with wet Summer's.

Over 60% of Ireland's GDP is generated by 10 companies I was told by a colleague recently

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I would add to that the highly educated workforce. The pharma down here in Cork pay well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Over 60% of Ireland's GDP is generated by 10 companies I was told by a colleague recently

Some people can't see the wood for the trees, they're more worried about the tax they're missing and ignoring the real benefits that's there for having them in the country. smallmindedness I guess

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Which is a worry in itself - especially with the likes of Trumps America looking to "bring home" the earnings of US multinationals based abroad.

I think everyone of the big pharma have a base here and 9 out of the 10 biotechs. Along with the straight techs they provide the backbone of the country. There is so much spin off, it's a multiplier.
    Along with Ag, of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Which is a worry in itself - especially with the likes of Trumps America looking to "bring home" the earnings of US multinationals based abroad.

Every company here, local and foreign, would have cheaper running costs if they moved out of Ireland to place like eastern Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Every company here, local and foreign, would have cheaper running costs if they moved out of Ireland to place like eastern Europe

Depending on current structures and investment some are already looking and setting up there instead of investing more here. Eastern Europe has a fairly well educated workforce as well, with much lower costs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,485 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

_Brian wrote: »
    Right.
    Is that it ??

So to be clear he didn’t nothing directly to benefit Ireland.

Each country on Europe will have a veto on Brexit negotiations so his specific inputs are optional.

So he said stuff about multinationals that doesn’t change absolutely anything. Multinationals will be here as long as we allow them dodge their tax that would be die here and elsewhere. Or until the US implement somerhig that forces their hand.

Word from the road hauliers is that Hogan was working very closely behind the scenes on developing Rosslare Europort and ensuring the hauliers had a free pass through Britain..

Trouble is everyone's an expert nowadays. All for internet debates.

Birdnuts wrote: »

I wouldn't worry about Trump, he won't be re-elected. A drawing online was quite humourous about it with a double meaning "ByeDon".

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Yes but there are numerous reasons why they don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,979 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Danzy wrote: »
    Yes but there are numerous reasons why they don't.
    English, stable political.system are two.big ones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

I wouldn't worry about Trump, he won't be re-elected. A drawing online was quite humourous about it with a double meaning "ByeDon".

I think the story over in the states at the moment that he called american soldiers who died in WW1 "suckers" is the final nail in the coffin for Trump. Don't see any way back from that for him. It was a Fox News reporter who done the story.

One big challenge Biden's win will have is a return of the Atlantic partnership trade deal with the EU.

The impact of that on Agriculture alone, nevermind the rest of the economy will be immense.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    English, stable political.system are two.big ones

Educated workforce is the big thing as well

I've a feeling he'll be re elected.
    But then I had a feeling he wouldn't be elected in the first place..

People don't like candidates who put themselves forward as pc perfect. They look too sly.
    He's the only president in recent times I believe who hasn't started military operations against other countries. Now their helping other patsy countries (getting them to buy US hardware) start operations however..

Danzy wrote: »
    One big challenge Biden's win will have is a return of the Atlantic partnership trade deal with the EU.

The impact of that on Agriculture alone, nevermind the rest of the economy will be immense.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a fan of either party (at the moment) in the US. There have been times I thought the Republicans over Democrats and vice versa. Harris as Bidens running mate would give me a lot of pause for thought.

People don't like candidates who put themselves forward as pc perfect. They look too sly.
    He's the only president in recent times I believe who hasn't started military operations against other countries. Now their helping other patsy countries start operations however..

I chatted to an American lady, the Summer before he got elected. I predicted he'd get into the WH, she couldn't figure it at all, and that at the time was the Democrats problem, they were believing too much of their own propaganda.

Trump is just being Trump, his mouth has written too many cheques that his ass(ets) can't cover, the payment deadline is now upon him. Proxy wars have always been a thing, particularly during the cold war in places like SE Asia, Central & South America, and Africa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭jaymla627

He's the only president in recent times I believe who hasn't started military operations against other countries. Now their helping other patsy countries (getting them to buy US hardware) start operations however..

Had to laugh at Obama's attack on Trump, we all know what Trump is but if America had stayed out of Libiya under his presidency and left gaddaffi at the helm the sh**storm that ensued would never of happened, he literally has the blood of millions of people on his hands but it's never mentioned

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I worked in Intel for a long time.
    Great money, ongoing education, travel opportunities that are unrivalled in most companies. I hope it’s here for a long time to come as the money it distributes throughout the country is incredible.

Now Intel “Ireland” is a registered company registered in the camen islands and is afforded the tax status from the camen islands. But even with that it’s value to ireland is phenomenal.

It’s not easy work by most standards, but if your up for it the rewards are great.

Word from the road hauliers is that Hogan was working very closely behind the scenes on developing Rosslare Europort and ensuring the hauliers had a free pass through Britain..

Trouble is everyone's an expert nowadays. All for internet debates.

Nothing another candidate couldn’t do.

Nobody is irreplaceable, nobody is above the law of the land. Public representatives need to be held to account or we have nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Right.
    Is that it ??

So to be clear he didn’t nothing directly to benefit Ireland.

Each country on Europe will have a veto on Brexit negotiations so his specific inputs are optional.

So he said stuff about multinationals that doesn’t change absolutely anything. Multinationals will be here as long as we allow them dodge their tax that would be die here and elsewhere. Or until the US implement somerhig that forces their hand.

Don’t you see any advantage in having a n FG/Irish Man in the trade post with brexit negotiations upcoming.
    On the dodging tax It was interesting reading about what tax our own largest beef processor pays.
    I hope those tax dodging multinationals stay around another while.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Wonder is the wall fully built yet.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Had to laugh at Obama's attack on Trump, we all know what Trump is but if America had stayed out of Libiya under his presidency and left gaddaffi at the helm the sh**storm that ensued would never of happened, he literally has the blood of millions of people on his hands but it's never mentioned

I think that's why Trump wanted to be seen meeting Kim Jong Un. He wanted to be the New York business man who'd talk to anyone. And get himself on Time magazine.
    Now sometimes action is warranted as the Balkans.
    It's a fine line. Too fine for the likes of you or me.

Better if some miraculous law was brought out that no weapons are allowed be made anywhere in the world.

Trump has hardened supporters in the Midwest and getting more by actions online and off by 'the other side'. It's working both ways but we only hear one side this side of the Atlantic. There's no middle moderates.

Nothing another candidate couldn’t do.

Nobody is irreplaceable, nobody is above the law of the land. Public representatives need to be held to account or we have nothing.

Held to account by Court of Law.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

I think that's why Trump wanted to be seen meeting Kim Jong Un. He wanted to be the New York business man who'd talk to anyone. And get himself on Time magazine.
    Now sometimes action is warranted as the Balkans.
    It's a fine line. Too fine for the likes of you or me.

Better if some miraculous law was brought out that no weapons are allowed be made anywhere in the world.

Trump has hardened supporters in the Midwest and getting more by actions online and off by 'the other side'. It's working both ways but we only hear one side this side of the Atlantic. There's no middle moderates.

Trump is far more popular in america than people realise

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

I got a phone call from a neighbour tonight on the way home. He's the man that I occasionally draw cattle to the mart/factory for. He got the DAFM TB status letter in the post during the week and apparently it suggested that he should cull his entire herd because his cows are offspring of cows that went down with TB years ago.
    The man is in a panic and wouldn't talk to any of the locals for fear of them knowing his business. He keeps about 12 suckler cows that produce the finest continental weanling that you would see.
    Those DAFM letters are awful and should never have been sent.

That's outrageous, putting more fear in people for no need.
    Had replied to a poster on another thread saying I didn't think such would be the case. What's do they hope to achieve?
    Which of the many Ministers let this pass? This letter needs to be withdrawn.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Water John wrote: »
    That's outrageous, putting more fear in people for no need.
    Had replied to a poster on another thread saying I didn't think such would be the case. What's do they hope to achieve?
    TBH I don't know but it's a fooking disgrace. This man looks after his cattle like they were his children.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

You could understand if they were a group of animals sourced anything up to twelve months ago, that had not been tested on the new farm and the original farm had a subsequent breakdown, but normal trace and test should have been applied.

What age cows are they? How many clear tests have they had in the new farm?

The department are either saying that the TB test is useless or else they are going down the road that certain strains of cattle have much greater natural resistance to TB hence farmers being told to cull all animals related to any animal that is a reactor. There is no scientific evidence for this.

My guess on these letters is that they want to be seen by Europe to be doing something to justify holding on to funding. Some of the cattle will end up in the factory by normal trading with a few extra panic sales and the scheme will be a sucess.

Held to account by Court of Law.

Not since he used his “do you know who I am” routine roadside and got out of his illegal phone use conviction.

**** him, this day was long waiting in the long grass for him and I’d rather we had nobody representing us than that big ignorant pig.

Looks like McGunness will be out there, she has always seemed a decent level human being and should represent us well, remember there are other ways to negotiate other than being known for being as ignorant as a jackass.

• Advertisement

Reggie. wrote: »
    Trump is far more popular in america than people realise

Speaks volumes for the average American. And I agree it will be hard to get him out. I’ve said for a long time the only person capable of beating him at next election is himself. His lips mouth is his greatest enemy.
    I’d rather see him go the JFK route, be a more fitting end.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement