Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Water John wrote: »
    That's outrageous, putting more fear in people for no need.
    Had replied to a poster on another thread saying I didn't think such would be the case. What's do they hope to achieve?
    Which of the many Ministers let this pass? This letter needs to be withdrawn.

It has to be noted that we have had no proper minister in the lifetime of this government.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,201 ✭✭✭DBK1

wrangler wrote: »
    The advantage of having foreign companies here is the salaries they're paying and the income tax there of and the spin off industries benefitting
    You'd wonder what other attraction this pathetic country has apart from tax concessions. do away with them and I'm sure they'd be gone. Intel beside me here employ 4500, a good few commute from this area, a lot work shifts so travel off peak,30 - 40 minute commute
    It’s hard to believe no one has pulled you up on your comment about “this pathetic country”. I’ve travelled most of the countries of Europe over a period of about 10 years from 2004 on for work. The one common factor I realised in every one of them is that there’s none of them could match Ireland as a country to work and live in. I can assure there is nothing pathetic about this country apart from some of the clowns living in it with that type of attitude towards it.

We have by far some of the best working conditions in the world. We also have some of the best infrastructure. Take for example our motorways, we may not have as many of them as other countries do but we’re getting there and the ones we do have are far superior as regards design and safety than there are in any other country.

We have some of the richest companies in the world from pharma and IT here and that’s down to good management by various governments over the years to keep them here as well as the fact that they can get well educated and capable staff.

If you call up to Bluebell in Dublin and take a look into IFA head office, that’s where’ll you’ll see “pathetic”. A farmers organisation that has failed all except the very richest of farmers while claiming to be the saviours, and elderly men fawning at them because they believe every fairytale being spouted by them. Now that’s pathetic, but that’s far from the reality for the rest of the country.

There’s a reason there are people of so many different nationalities living and working in Ireland and it’s because we have one of the best countries in the world to be in, far from a “pathetic country”.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

DBK1 wrote: »
    It’s hard to believe no one has pulled you up on your comment about “this pathetic country”. I’ve travelled most of the countries of Europe over a period of about 10 years from 2004 on for work. The one common factor I realised in every one of them is that there’s none of them could match Ireland as a country to work and live in. I can assure there is nothing pathetic about this country apart from some of the clowns living in it with that type of attitude towards it.

We have by far some of the best working conditions in the world. We also have some of the best infrastructure. Take for example our motorways, we may not have as many of them as other countries do but we’re getting there and the ones we do have are far superior as regards design and safety than there are in any other country.

We have some of the richest companies in the world from pharma and IT here and that’s down to good management by various governments over the years to keep them here as well as the fact that they can get well educated and capable staff.

If you call up to Bluebell in Dublin and take a look into IFA head office, that’s where’ll you’ll see “pathetic”. A farmers organisation that has failed all except the very richest of farmers while claiming to be the saviours, and elderly men fawning at them because they believe every fairytale being spouted by them. Now that’s pathetic, but that’s far from the reality for the rest of the country.

There’s a reason there are people of so many different nationalities living and working in Ireland and it’s because we have one of the best countries in the world to be in, far from a “pathetic country”.

Lads go on all expense paid jollies and think they know other countries.

While it has issues, ireland overall is a brilliant place to live. We have a massive standard of living, good employment, healthcare, education and our crime rates are very low.

It’s important that anyone who thinks it’s a pathetic country are free to leave and go elsewhere, but truth is they know it’s just auld rhetoric they are spouting, trolls they are called on other forums.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

_Brian wrote: »

While it has issues, ireland overall is a brilliant place to live. We have a massive standard of living, good employment, healthcare, education and our crime rates are very low.

It’s important that anyone who thinks it’s a pathetic country are free to leave and go elsewhere, but truth is they know it’s just auld rhetoric they are spouting, trolls they are called on other forums.

P.M. sent on there to you Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

It has to be noted that we have had no proper minister in the lifetime of this government.
    I
    I don't think that any of the last three ministers knew much about these letters. Organising these took months.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭gk5000

We're not pathetic but do elect some pathetic politicians, and generally have not held many to account. Sometimes were too nice allowing cute hoors the benefit of the doubt repeatidly, or too much defference to authority/grandees hense the church, guards, charidy..scandals.

Problem is these cute hoors etc take advantage..

That’s it exactly Brian. They go on an all expenses paid trip to the big cities for a weekend or go to a beach for a week on holidays and think it’s all great. Go and work outside the towns and cities for any period of time and they won’t be long about crying to come back home again and realise how good we have it in this country.

I
    I don't think that any of the last three ministers knew much about these letters. Organising these took months.

It was flagged in the media in July, iirc. So it's been public knowledge for 2 months at least.

And 4 ministers, Cowen, Calleary, Martin and McConalogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Do you think that this was started since the election ?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The joke is on you, boy, If you were on one of the hospitals waiting lists you mightn't be as smart, If you were dealing with floods due to poor river maintenance, you mightn't be as smart either,
    As for IFA, BEEF PLAN really showed them how to do it, if there was a silver bullet to increase cattle prices, IFA would have used it,instead of that we have beef processors trying to get justice for what was done to them last year, again the joke is on you boy.
    As a 50ha farmer which couldn't be called a big farm, I have done very well thanks due to gettng taxpayers money into my bank account, so if you think there was some other lobby group involved, pray tell, again I think the joke is on you boy.
    50000/yr income here tax free on 50 ha, tell me again what IFA haven't done

• Advertisement

The joke is on you, boy, If you were on one of the hospitals waiting lists you mightn't be as smart, If you were dealing with floods due to poor river maintenance, you mightn't be as smart either,
    As for IFA, BEEF PLAN really showed them how to do it, if there was a silver bullet to increase cattle prices, IFA would have used it,instead of that we have beef processors trying to get justice for what was done to them last year, again the joke is on you boy.
    As a 50ha farmer which couldn't be called a big farm, I have done very well thanks due to gettng taxpayers money into my bank account, so if you think there was some other lobby group involved, pray tell, again I think the joke is on you boy.
    There’s absolutely no joke on me “boy”. I could write a long reply and answer all of your points one by one but there’s no need for me arguing with you because you’ve done that job for me and it can all be narrowed down to one simple question now.

If life is that good that you’re earning €50k a year tax free without even working your farm then where on earth would you get the opinion that this was a “pathetic country”?

I’m afraid the joke is severely on you “boy” if that’s your position in life and you regard that as living in a pathetic country. To be honest I feel sorry for you, you obviously don’t know how to appreciate the good things in life.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Any chance of a bit less quoting of long winded posts. I think it can be figured who/what replies are being countered claims

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Grueller

What a mean spirited, condescending post. A real talking down to by your betters.

ruwithme wrote: »
    Any chance of a bit less quoting of long winded posts. I think it can be figured who/what replies are being countered claims

It's not that easy follow when people don't quote post, if a few get posted while you're writing it's very easy to get it wrong.
    Some don't quote and it's sometimes difficult to know what they're on about

Grueller wrote: »
    What a mean spirited, condescending post. A real talking down to by your betters.
    Would you expect anything different from an IFA man. The IFA was the best organisation in the country for years. Farmers working hard for the betterment of their fellow farmers. Now it’s an old boys club and as long as they have as much as they can get then don’t change anything and don’t allow anything to be changed. And anyone that suggests otherwise should be talked down and told to shut up. It’s pathetic really!

Grueller wrote: »

His post was a typical beef plan type post, abuse and lies, stopping short of name calling.
    It deserved to be talked down to

ruwithme wrote: »
    It shouldn’t be an issue, the quote comes up in a different colour so it’s very easy to skip over and not read it.

It's not that easy follow when people don't quote post, if a few get posted while you're writing it's very easy to get it wrong.
    Some don't quote and it's sometimes difficult to know what they're on about
    Something we agree on!!

His post was a typical beef plan type post, abuse and lies, stopping short of name calling.
    It deserved to be talked down to
    My post has absolutely nothing to do with Beef Plan. I don’t think they still even exist! I have no affiliation to beef plan whatsoever. I did attend the protests last year the same as I’ve attended IFA organised protests many moons ago while not being an IFA member.

My post was about appreciation and pride in our country which is widely regarded around the world as being one of the best countries in the world and we have the over privileged here that think it’s a small pathetic country. And there was definitely no abuse or lies in it, all just truths that some people don’t like to hear.

Would you expect anything different from an IFA man. The IFA was the best organisation in the country for years. Farmers working hard for the betterment of their fellow farmers. Now it’s an old boys club and as long as they have as much as they can get then don’t change anything and don’t allow anything to be changed. And anyone that suggests otherwise should be talked down and told to shut up. It’s pathetic really!

so you're a begrudger that wants to take income off other farmers because that's what it boils down to.
    I lobbied for those that had the same issues as myself and lobbied for those that deserved it but I'd be an idiot if I lobbied to reduce my own income.
    Only a saddo would do that or expect me to do that

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ah lads no one wants to hear it anymore.....

whelan2 wrote: »

If I put up dirty lies about women in farming, you'd be first into refute them so come on.
    We've a pathetic Government, public service, health service, so when i referred to a pathetic country, did I deserve what I got back,

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭jaymla627

so you're a begrudger that wants to take income off other farmers because that's what it boils down to.
    I lobbied for those that had the same issues as myself and lobbied for those that deserved it but I'd be an idiot if I lobbied to reduce my own income.

You want your pension pot to continue unabated for work done 15 plus odd years ago while new entrants can whistle for a proper slice of bps, its self-preservation which is totally understandable but how you think you can actually defend your stance is bat s**t crazy, its illogical and nonsensical but having argued the toss with you before it's pointless

Is this or is it not a dirty ageist comment .

''If you call up to Bluebell in Dublin and take a look into IFA head office, that’s where’ll you’ll see “pathetic”. A farmers organisation that has failed all except the very richest of farmers while claiming to be the saviours, and elderly men fawning at them because they believe every fairytale being spouted by them. Now that’s pathetic, but that’s far from the reality for the rest of the country.''

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Is this or is it not a dirty ageist comment .

''If you call up to Bluebell in Dublin and take a look into IFA head office, that’s where’ll you’ll see “pathetic”. A farmers organisation that has failed all except the very richest of farmers while claiming to be the saviours, and elderly men fawning at them because they believe every fairytale being spouted by them. Now that’s pathetic, but that’s far from the reality for the rest of the country.''

What's untruths are been said, your on the proverbial gravy trian while anyone that didn't inherit a good sfp from their parents our none at all while still trying to farm actively are severely impeded, you can't defend the indefensible and don't start rambling on about if your parents where any good they would have built up good entitlements at the time, you need to get over yourself ffs....

I don’t want you to lobby for anything. I just also don’t want you calling Ireland a pathetic country. That’s what my argument was all about, the IFA part is just the tangent you picked up on. Unless you’ve experienced other countries you’ve no right to call Ireland pathetic and if you have experienced other countries and that’s still your opinion then I feel sorry for you.

Apologies Whelan, I just happen to think we’re in quite a good little country and don’t like to hear it being referred to as pathetic.

If I put up dirty lies about women in farming, you'd be first into refute them so come on.
    We've a pathetic Government, public service, health service, so when i referred to a pathetic country, did I deserve what I got back,
    I do agree with you as regards government and certain areas of public service but there’s nothing stopping you or I or any of the rest of the population putting our names forward for election to try change some of this but we don’t.

Mod note: And I think we can leave it at that. Move on to something else, we're a discussion site but we have a lot more in common with each other than different from each other.

Thanks.

Buford T. Justice

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

My two dogs went out and decided to roll in ****e. Oulfella out trying to nab them with the bottle of dettol... bad doggies.

Anyway nice day so far, I trialed sweetcorn this year but the plants didn't develop the way they should have. Might have been the drought earlier in the year but the silks seem to have been delayed and the tassles polin was well dispersed when the silks started forming from the cobs.

Put down 4000 plants but after looking at the time it takes to take off the leaves around the cobs etc its not worth the hassle looking at supplying commercially. Too hit and miss on quality and labour intensive. Anyway neighbours and friends are currently munching away on irish sweetcorn so happy out.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement