Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Mod note: And I think we can leave it at that. Move on to something else, we're a discussion site but we have a lot more in common with each other than different from each other.

Thanks.

Buford T. Justice

It does get boring when the same stuff is continuously brought up by the same people. ....let it go

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Savage afternoon there folks.
    Hammering about the garden cutting hedges, mowing grass planning out a wildflower area for the spring.

It would do your heart good. Plenty of time for good weather if the pesky rain would leave us alone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

_Brian wrote: »
    Savage afternoon there folks.
    Hammering about the garden cutting hedges, mowing grass planning out a wildflower area for the spring.

It would do your heart good. Plenty of time for good weather if the pesky rain would leave us alone.

Hopefully it will continue for a couple of days to give the lads a chance to get harvesting done. My favourite time of the year if the rain keeps away.

NcdJd wrote: »
    Hopefully it will continue for a couple of days to give the lads a chance to get harvesting done. My favourite time of the year if the rain keeps away.

Some bales to make yet ourselves. Ground is mixed at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭kollegeknight

whelan2 wrote: »
    Ah lads no one wants to hear it anymore.....

How is your dog and pup now?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Lots of baling in West Cork today.

How is your dog and pup now?
    Great thanks. She's still on noroclav. Pup keeps giving us heart attacks by hiding under the straw. Notice him getting bigger every day

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

My two dogs went out and decided to roll in ****e. Oulfella out trying to nab them with the bottle of dettol... bad doggies.

Anyway nice day so far, I trialed sweetcorn this year but the plants didn't develop the way they should have. Might have been the drought earlier in the year but the silks seem to have been delayed and the tassles polin was well dispersed when the silks started forming from the cobs.

Put down 4000 plants but after looking at the time it takes to take off the leaves around the cobs etc its not worth the hassle looking at supplying commercially. Too hit and miss on quality and labour intensive. Anyway neighbours and friends are currently munching away on irish sweetcorn so happy out.

Looks very tasty!

Odelay wrote: »
    Looks very tasty!

Well worth putting a bit down in the garden. Straight off the stalk and into a pot of boiling water. No starch build up. You'd deffo taste the difference to the starchy ****e imported in for the supermarkets.

There are two growers in Ireland that supply on a commercial basis, one man in Cork and another in Dublin, not sure what outlets they supply but worth keeping an eye out this time of year for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

My two dogs went out and decided to roll in ****e. Oulfella out trying to nab them with the bottle of dettol... bad doggies.

Anyway nice day so far, I trialed sweetcorn this year but the plants didn't develop the way they should have. Might have been the drought earlier in the year but the silks seem to have been delayed and the tassles polin was well dispersed when the silks started forming from the cobs.

Put down 4000 plants but after looking at the time it takes to take off the leaves around the cobs etc its not worth the hassle looking at supplying commercially. Too hit and miss on quality and labour intensive. Anyway neighbours and friends are currently munching away on irish sweetcorn so happy out.

They look alright ! Nom nom
    I used to eat away the maize when we grew it, and that was still way better than the shop stuff.
    The tassles were the best tasting bits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

They don't ripen great around here, weather isn't good enough, we grow them in the veggy tunnel though....... delish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I just realised that when someone ends a post with TIA it means Thanks in advance. Up until now I thought it was someone signing off with their name - Tia. I was thinking to myself that's a popular name..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Not since he used his “do you know who I am” routine roadside and got out of his illegal phone use conviction.

**** him, this day was long waiting in the long grass for him and I’d rather we had nobody representing us than that big ignorant pig.

Looks like McGunness will be out there, she has always seemed a decent level human being and should represent us well, remember there are other ways to negotiate other than being known for being as ignorant as a jackass.

Suggest you read the 22 letters to the Farmers Journal last week written in support of Phil Hogan and bemoaning the decision to call for his resignation.
    Several of them detail instances of how effective and brilliant (yes) he was at the jobs he was allocated in Europe. Spectacular own goal by Martin, Ryan & others.
    A bad, sad day for Ireland.

Good loser wrote: »
    Suggest you read the 22 letters to the Farmers Journal last week written in support of Phil Hogan and bemoaning the decision to call for his resignation.
    Several of them detail instances of how effective and brilliant (yes) he was at the jobs he was allocated in Europe. Spectacular own goal by Martin, Ryan & others.

So he has 22 supporters.
    He must be so relieved.

Anyone with LC results due in the house today ???

Niece is waiting, talking to her mum last night and they were expecting a no sleep night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Were you expecting honesty from their side. With Tony Abbott there now I don’t think the brexit negotiations are getting any easier from an Irish point of view

Probably load of auld blister.
    When your in a weak position keep talking like your in control.

Truth is Borris and his rich buddies don’t care how this goes their off shore accounts are safe from the reach of Europe which secures their financial future

The little people can eat cake.

The big fear I see trotted our from Irish farmers is we will loose out market for beef. As farmers we shouldn’t care. The vast vast majority of Irish farms are making no money from beef while everyone else in the beef chain gets rich. Why should we worry about loosing a business that’s non profit making.

So he has 22 supporters.
    He must be so relieved.

One more here so 23 .
    The begrudgery of the Irish came to the fore on this issue.
    Metaphorically they didn't just shoot themselves in the foot they shot themselves in the head.
    It definitely wasn't his personality that got him those positions but his ability to get deals across the line.
    As I say we're the joke of Europe now, 'twas bad enough with our Ag ministers.

Was following a short on fence yesterday and found a stretch of white wire down.

As I approached I could hear it shorting out.

Was horrified to find a poor hedgehog curled round the wire dead as a stone. Feck sake. Only spotted first hedgehog on the place this year and that could have been it :(

I’m thinking they aren’t the most robust of creatures ??

• Advertisement

Anyone with LC results due in the house today ???

Niece is waiting, talking to her mum last night and they were expecting a no sleep night.

Saying on the telly this morning that there's a massive increase in grades, so much so that those that took a year out are at a huge disadvantage competing against this years grades..
    Was talking to my niece yesterday who said her daughter reckoned it was so far out of her control that she wasn't bothered, she'd have flew it in the conventional leaving cert

I can't understand if the department have the results from the schools for 3 months what has taken so long to give out the results? Normally they are out in mid August after bring manually corrected

• Registered Users Posts: 3,838 ✭✭✭Odelay

wrangler wrote: »
    Saying on the telly this morning that there's a massive increase in grades, so much so that those that took a year out are at a huge disadvantage competing against this years grades..
    Was talking to my niece yesterday who said her daughter reckoned it was so far out of her control that she wasn't bothered, she'd have flew it in the conventional leaving cert

I heard on radio 1 this morning that it was a 4% increase on last year.

whelan2 wrote: »
    I can't understand if the department have the results from the schools for 3 months what has taken so long to give out the results? Normally they are out in mid August after bring manually corrected

Using same system as U.K., wouldn’t be surprised if they held out to see how it went there. They have considerably changed approach at last minute based on the train wreck in U.K.

Easier to have students hold out rather than have to backtrack like the U.K. did.

That’s quite insignificant really

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

Good loser wrote: »

Irish water before he went,
    Let our dairy farmers eat cake if they can’t afford bread
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/european-milk-board-calls-for-removal-of-incompetent-commissioner-hogan/

Then the sacrifice Irish beef farmers should make for European manufacturing exports to South America. He couldn’t get mercoser done quick enough.

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/phil-hogan-says-compromises-had-to-be-made-in-mercosur-deal-1.3941782?mode=amp

Precedent would suggest Ireland having a player in the seat playing for himself, not the country.
    Arrogance, belligerent but charismatic and personable when it suited him.
    We may have dodged a huge bullet here thank goodness.

Jjameson wrote: »
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/european-milk-board-calls-for-removal-of-incompetent-commissioner-hogan/

Then the sacrifice Irish beef farmers should make for European manufacturing exports to South America. He couldn’t get mercoser done quick enough.
    Precedent would suggest Ireland having a player in the seat playing for himself, not the country.
    We may have dodged a huge billet here thank goodness.

We can’t have people who break the rules and lie to cover their ass representing us as public representatives. We need to hold all public representatives to a higher standard.

The notion that we should overlook a public representative being the sort of person that lies and feels the laws don’t apply to them just on the off chance he might do us a good turn is stupid. If someone is untrustworthy and a liar directly to us, how do people think this person would do anything other than things that better THEIR own self and be damned to everyone else.

We’re better without him

Jjameson wrote: »

https://www.irishtimes.com/business/agribusiness-and-food/phil-hogan-says-compromises-had-to-be-made-in-mercosur-deal-1.3941782?mode=amp

We may have dodged a huge bullet here thank goodness.

Is that not the same situation as blaming the government here for bad beef prices due to the overproduction.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,483 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The capacitor version of Alien.

20200907-111255.jpg

• Advertisement

Depends on the subjects apparently,
    They're referring to it as grade inflation
    You'd be doubting the credibility now of a student being disappointed.!!!!!!!!

As the marking is no longer anonymous, why would teachers put themselves in the line of fire by marking hard

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement