Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Surprised they done that. Up here in the occupied counties nothing invasive is being done yet by my dentist - not even fillings. Not sure there is any point in them being open TBH.

That's mad, got a filling today myself and have to go back again next week for two more. Dentists wearing masks and face guards. Temperature taken at reception.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Re the lads not signing up to bord bia for the finisher payment. these are the same lads outside the factory gates last autumn looking for €3.85 base price.

Wonder what there going to do now and base price at €3.60

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

_Brian wrote: »
    So he has 22 supporters.
    He must be so relieved.

That's simplistic. Did you read the letters? You would have seen they represented many more than those that wrote them.

Anyone who does read them must be seriously impressed by his efforts and successes on behalf of the EU. He did Ireland proud.

His 'offences' were trivial in the scheme of things. Don't mistake the trees for the wood.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Grueller wrote: »
    Mo
    Bobby
    Gini

Bobby it is :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Danzy wrote: »
    A good service.
    In an previous life I had a background in customer service, customer complaints and transport logistics. I then assisted small local businesses achieve ISO 9000 - Quality Management Systems accreditation.

I try to apply similar principles to our business but TBH it's hit or miss :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Base price wrote: »
    In an previous life I had a background in customer service, customer complaints and transport logistics. I then assisted small local businesses achieve ISO 9000 - Quality Management Systems accreditation.

I try to apply similar principles to our business but TBH it's hit or miss :(

Iso9000, remember our operations director at the time saying "right lads, we need to hide a load of stuff at the back of the warehouse before they come in" :D

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Mossie1975

NcdJd wrote: »
    Iso9000, remember our operations director at the time saying "right lads, we need to hide a load of stuff at the back of the warehouse before they come in" :D

:-D

ruwithme wrote: »
    Re the lads not signing up to bord bia for the finisher payment. these are the same lads outside the factory gates last autumn looking for €3.85 base price.

Wonder what there going to do now and base price at €3.60
    The majority of suckler farmers around here are not in Bord Bia. Most of them breed quality weanlings year on year that are sold through the local marts for export.

TBH, other than reading articles on the Farmers Journal or listening to the Agri New's reports on their local radio station they couldn't give a fiddlers what was going on at the factory gates.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

twisting your arm to join Bord Bia is something similar to being forced into Teagasc for Knowledge transfer

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

The majority of suckler farmers around here are not in Bord Bia. Most of them breed quality weanlings year on year that are sold through the local marts for export.

TBH, other than reading articles on the Farmers Journal or listening to the Agri New's reports on their local radio station they couldn't give a fiddlers what was going on at the factory gates.

And the finishers claimed they weren't there either, was there any farmers there, the yellow vests might be no coincidence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

twisting your arm to join Bord Bia is something similar to being forced into Teagasc for Knowledge transfer

Those that pay the piper calls the tune I often heard

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭DBK1

wrangler wrote: »
    And the finishers claimed they weren't there either, was there any farmers there, the yellow vests might be no coincidence
    Majority there were finishers at your local factory Wrangler. I was one of them and of the 20 or so lads that I knew from my parish there they were all finishers. Of the people I didn’t know but got to meet and chat to the majority were finishers as well. You have been told that on numerous occasions but for some reason keep saying the opposite.

As regards joining Bord Bia, for anyone finishing anything more than a handful of cattle a year I’d say it’s a necessity really. Not only do you lose the 20 cent bonus but you also get quoted a base price of 20 cent or more less and in times of plentiful supply you could be just told your stock are not wanted at all. For someone selling as weanlings it probably is unnecessary work for no extra return.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

wrangler wrote: »
    Those that pay the piper calls the tune I often heard

akin to saying beggars can't be choosers, eh!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Whatever about missing out on beef factory price, at this stage I know a number of milk suppliers who have been put under severe pressure and stress, with threat of milk not being collected.

Water John wrote: »
    Whatever about missing out on beef factory price, at this stage I know a number of milk suppliers who have been put under severe pressure and stress, with threat of milk not being collected.
    Why?
    I thought that all milk suppliers were BB approved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭einn32

Why?
    I thought that all milk suppliers were BB approved.

No they were still trying to achieve 100% of suppliers the last I heard in a processor I used to deal with.

I dont understand the reluctance not to be bord bia approved if you're a dairy farmer.. we must be at least 5 years approved here if not more. I thought it was a necessity at this stage

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Today's farm is repeated on bbc 2 now.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Grueller

whelan2 wrote: »
    Bobby it is :D

New pup here is called Lee. The 2 youngsters are hurling and camomile made Lee Chin got the honour. I suggested Dee after Dee O'Keeffe,who is the ideal role model for any youngster.

This BB problem arises at renewal time. A list of works is given with a threat that if everything isn't done by the follow up visit that the renewal won't be forthcoming and full milk tanks won't be collected.
    Farmers again suffering in silence.

• Advertisement

This BB problem arises at renewal time. A list of works is given with a threat that if everything isn't done by the follow up visit that the renewal won't be forthcoming and full milk tanks won't be collected.
    Farmers again suffering in silence.

Should everyone not be singing off the same hymn sheet though. It's the same as being chlorine free.

These places were not in bad shape. I think if you called to any place in the middle of spring you could draw up a nice list.
    Chlorine free is a straight rule. Finding an alt that works for you might be a bit of an issue but the rule is straight forward.
    I don't mind an improvement list but all the things Iv'e come across, in no way compromised the quality and safety of the milk supplied. It's the threat of not collecting that causes the stress.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭einn32

These places were not in bad shape. I think if you called to any place in the middle of spring you could draw up a nice list.
    Chlorine free is a straight rule. Finding an alt that works for you might be a bit of an issue but the rule is straight forward.
    I don't mind an improvement list but all the things Iv'e come across, in no way compromised the quality and safety of the milk supplied. It's the threat of not collecting that causes the stress.

A quality assured processor taking non quality assured raw material? It would surely be a problem in an audit of a processing facility. Furthermore a lot of buyers would be nervous about the end product if they knew the farms were not in the scheme.

The scheme is around years now. Companies can be paid to get the farm ready for an audit. I think the processors are under pressure from their own auditors and buyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

If the supplied product is right, with no trace of anthelminthics, antibiotics and cell cell count is acceptable, what is a bord bia farm audit going to add to it?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Jjameson wrote: »
    If the supplied product is right, with no trace of anthelminthics, antibiotics and cell cell count is acceptable, what is a bord bia farm audit going to add to it?

It’s just all about systems and building confidence in the chain.

It’s been about in manufacturing in the form of iso9000 for a long time.

Theory being if your capable of achieving and maintaining a specific standard across the board then your product is more likely to be of a specific standard and maintain that over a time.

There’s a whole bang of science behind it actually, most of it desperately boring in fairness.

Bottom line is insisting suppliers have standardised systems in place increases the likelihood that the milk will be good and good to a standard across suppliers.

Question I would ask is what is the reward for doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Mowing grass that was grazed last April is zero craic. Feckin mower keeps blocking up on the outside drum. Strange thing is it only happens going one way! Going up the field would sicken yer hole, but swing around and come back down it would fly it. I presume it's the way the grass is lying or something is the cause

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Mowing grass that was grazed last April is zero craic. Feckin mower keeps blocking up on the outside drum. Strange thing is it only happens going one way! Going up the field would sicken yer hole, but swing around and come back down it would fly it. I presume it's the way the grass is lying or something is the cause

Is it a KV by any chsnce

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

I'd imagine it's because it's lying a certain way and the mower is better able to lift it in one direction as opposed to the other. Can you try and cut the most of it going with the grain as it were even if it means increased driving and more time? It's a quare sickening dose getting blocked every few minutes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Reggie. wrote: »
    Is it a KV by any chsnce

Malone
    I'd imagine it's because it's lying a certain way and the mower is better able to lift it in one direction as opposed to the other. Can you try and cut the most of it going with the grain as it were even if it means increased driving and more time? It's a quare sickening dose getting blocked every few minutes.

Yeah that's what I did. Got 2 strips up the "bad" side and then just drove back up along those from then on. Was only a 1.5 acre corner so idle time wasn't too bad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Malone

Yeah that's what I did. Got 2 strips up the "bad" side and then just drove back up along those from then on. Was only a 1.5 acre corner so idle time wasn't too bad.

You could try increasing the angle of the arm towards the ground, to "get under" it more.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement