Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Sometimes you just have to laugh.

Finished a tag inspection this morning and was walking down the field after the cows to check the calves in a pen in their field. Was walking and talking to the guy about how bad the Mullinahone tags are for breaking at the top and the other side falling out after a bit. We walked another few steps and saw a tag on the ground, just after falling out of one of the cows and just showed him the tag.

'Must order another one so' says me:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    You could try increasing the angle of the arm towards the ground, to "get under" it more.

I was shaving the field to be honest. I can throw up a picture tomorrow when the grass is gone off it if ye want.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Mowing grass that was grazed last April is zero craic. Feckin mower keeps blocking up on the outside drum. Strange thing is it only happens going one way! Going up the field would sicken yer hole, but swing around and come back down it would fly it. I presume it's the way the grass is lying or something is the cause

Going up takes more power, so less power going to the mower. Going down hill and way more power for cutting.
    Neighbour here had the same problem with baler. Open knots going down hill and not one going up hill. I reckoned the extra power to baler down hill was jerking the knotter too much.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Sometimes you just have to laugh.

Finished a tag inspection this morning and was walking down the field after the cows to check the calves in a pen in their field. Was walking and talking to the guy about how bad the Mullinahone tags are for breaking at the top and the other side falling out after a bit. We walked another few steps and saw a tag on the ground, just after falling out of one of the cows and just showed him the tag.

'Must order another one so' says me:rolleyes:

At the mart on Monday night, and a lad had a dozen fat lambs in one of those trailers with the galvanised wire mesh sides.
    Three out of the twelve had their ears ripped and the tags missing, caught in the mesh as he drove along.
    The lad that designed it never kept sheep...

Going up takes more power, so less power going to the mower. Going down hill and way more power for cutting.
    Neighbour here had the same problem with baler. Open knots going down hill and not one going up hill. I reckoned the extra power to baler down hill was jerking the knotter too much.

Field was flat. By "going up" I meant going in a certain direction. Up towards the road and down to the gate :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I was shaving the field to be honest. I can throw up a picture tomorrow when the grass is gone off it if ye want.

I’d a class non conditioning mower that used to do similar sometimes. The swathing wheels at the back were the problem on mine.

Field was flat. By "going up" I meant going in a certain direction. Up towards the road and down to the gate :-)

Well. There's that theory out the window!

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

I’d a class non conditioning mower that used to do similar sometimes. The swathing wheels at the back were the problem on mine.

I've messed about with the wheels alright. Should they be close to the hat or away as much as possible? Would making the swath narrower be better. I've them opened out to the fullest

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I've messed about with the wheels alright. Should they be close to the hat or away as much as possible? Would making the swath narrower be better. I've them opened out to the fullest

I found closer to the top hat the better mostly but I would also just take it off at times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

15 fecking swallows around the dairy, surprised as it tough there were less adults than normal earlier in the year. Glad to see em flying around but wouldn't mind if they fecked off now!

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭farmersfriend

Coastguard helicopter after passing over us, never seen it down so low,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭jimini0

There it is

Don't wave at it. I made that mistake one day out near the shannon. They were flying low at the time. They came back and circled around me. Felt like a right wolly. I just walked away. What else could I do? :D

Anyone know where u can get milking gloves in small, can't get them anywhere

Anyone know where u can get milking gloves in small, can't get them anywhere

Magenta direct might be worth a shout. I tried ordering gloves from them earlier this week in large but they only had smaller sizes. Looks like a bit of pressure coming on PPE again.

Magenta direct might be worth a shout. I tried ordering gloves from them earlier this week in large but they only had smaller sizes. Looks like a bit of pressure coming on PPE again.

Thanks a mil, just ordered some from them online ðŸ‘ðŸ»

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

jimini0 wrote: »
    There it is

Sometimes the marine rescue helicopters don't show on flightradar24.
    If they don't you'll get them on marine traffic.

Like this one from Waterford airport going to Blackwater and down the coast to Curracloe earlier this evening.
    (Click on the blue dot near tramore and go to past track).

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-6.5/centery:52.3/zoom:8

One flew over from Waterford here a while back and I was able to track them on MT up to Glendalough.

Sometimes the marine rescue helicopters don't show on flightradar24.
    If they don't you'll get them on marine traffic.

Like this one from Waterford airport going to Blackwater and down the coast to Curracloe earlier this evening.
    (Click on the blue dot near tramore and go to past track).

https://www.marinetraffic.com/en/ais/home/centerx:-6.5/centery:52.3/zoom:8

One flew over from Waterford here a while back and I was able to track them on MT up to Glendalough.

I had to delete marine traffic. Got a bit addicted found myself tracking a small fishing boat off Mexico. Was watching its movement for days. It used to go out 12 miles and spend a an hour fishing in the same place everyday. Thought they must have found the fish holy grail. But Turns out it was a supply boat that brought supplies to a drilling rig out at sea.

I had to delete marine traffic. Got a bit addicted found myself tracking a small fishing boat off Mexico. Was watching its movement for days. It used to go out 12 miles and spend a an hour fishing in the same place everyday. Thought they must have found the fish holy grail. But Turns out it was a supply boat that brought supplies to a drilling rig out at sea.

Poor man. :pac: And the CIA tracking your internet searching and they thinking you're some kinahan now waiting on his drug shipments. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

My dog had a run in with the post van today. She's had a week of it. Seems to be ok . Was an awful well out of her.

Poor man. :pac: And the CIA tracking your internet searching and they thinking you're some kinahan now waiting on his drug shipments. :D

My drug boats don't use gps. They are submarines.
    Its amazing the amount of boats and ships at sea. And the amount of planes in the sky. You could lose a few hours checking on their destinations.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭ruwithme

whelan2 wrote: »
    My dog had a run in with the post van today. She's had a week of it. Seems to be ok . Was an awful well out of her.

I wouldn't blame her. Those pesky post vans

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Its amazing the amount of boats and ships at sea. And the amount of planes in the sky. You could lose a few hours checking on their destinations.

Before Covid (apologies for the C word), a million people were in the air worldwide at any one time.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone else have a problem with recognising people with their masks on?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

whelan2 wrote: »
    Anyone else have a problem with recognising people with their masks on?

We could do like the PPE nurses and write our name in large letters on our chest.

Water John wrote: »
    Before Covid (apologies for the C word), a million people were in the air worldwide at any one time.

Every cloud as they say john.long may that last

And they want us to believe the cow is the big polluter

Its amazing the amount of boats and ships at sea.

Yea I heard the Royal Navy were on your tail lately..

https://afloat.ie/marine-environment/marine-wildlife/item/47499-donegal-bottlenose-whale-stranding-might-be-part-of-much-wider-event

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

ruwithme wrote: »
    Every cloud as they say john.long may that last

And they want us to believe the cow is the big polluter

Meh, I'd love a week away from the rain and the cows now. I don't see the silver lining.

• Advertisement

Meh, I'd love a week away from the rain and the cows now. I don't see the silver lining.

Nout stopping you. Haven't we a green list of countries

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement