Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Meh, I'd love a week away from the rain and the cows now. I don't see the silver lining.

Next week might be fine. Go to Clare on a staycation, the Burren is nice.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Anyone else have a problem with recognising people with their masks on?

Be hard pressed pick out an armed raider from a line up now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

Next week might be fine. Go to Clare on a staycation, the Burren is nice.

I don't know if that's a bit tongue in cheek or whether it was a genuine recommendation for a nice local holiday destination. If it's the latter as opposed to the former then you're probably unaware that it would be a sort of busman's holiday for Limestone. His username might provide a hint.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

It's a clip from 1930 South Uist, Outer Hebrides, Scotland.
    But I'd say this was mirrored all over Irish coastal communities at the time.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1985959181540331&id=1057270191075906

It's a clip from 1930 South Uist, Outer Hebrides, Scotland.
    But I'd say this was mirrored all over Irish coastal communities at the time.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=1985959181540331&id=1057270191075906

And does anyone know what that man is doing with those burnings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Jb1989

And does anyone know what that man is doing with those burnings?

Makeing biochar?

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Makeing biochar?

I honestly didn't know there till a minute ago.
    I think the practice was called 'Devonshiring' in Ireland?
    It involved the digging up of the top 5 inches of pasture, drying out, placing in heaps and burning/smoldering the sod heaps. Then spreading that out back on the field and sowing potatoes or cereal crop.
    I think it was frowned upon by landlords as continuously it degraded the land but in the years directly after the first sod burning, excellent crops were had.

Edit: In 1860 an act was brought in in Ireland that field sod burning was made illegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

Worked in Intel years ago, had to learn recognize everyone with their masks on. Weird thing is I got hard to recognize some without their masks outside of the plant.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

emaherx wrote: »
    Worked in Intel years ago, had to learn recognize everyone with their masks on. Weird thing is I got hard to recognize some without their masks outside of the plant.

The interesting thing I found was it actually made you properly look at people. After a while I could easily tell people suited up a long way off by their walk, stance or as in my case gimpy limp.

Anyone else enjoying meeting people and not having to stop and make stupid small talk any more :)
    I’m a sort of introvert and it’s kinda handy, wee nod and keep going.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

African Swine Fever case confirmed in Germany.
    https://twitter.com/franmcnulty/status/1304092902314967046?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 4,795 ✭✭✭straight

_Brian wrote: »
    Anyone else enjoying meeting people and not having to stop and make stupid small talk any more :)
    I’m a sort of introvert and it’s kinda handy, wee nod and keep going.

That's the way this country is gone and I think it's sad. U really see it now when you travel to other countries where people still have more time for each other.

straight wrote: »
    That's the way this country is gone and I think it's sad. U really see it now when you travel to other countries where people still have more time for each other.

Still plenty of it about, just not for everybody

African Swine Fever case confirmed in Germany.
    https://twitter.com/franmcnulty/status/1304092902314967046?s=19

They will handle it better than China did so it should be somewhat contained. Isn’t it typical when the industry is doing so well.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Was following a short on fence yesterday and found a stretch of white wire down.

As I approached I could hear it shorting out.

Was horrified to find a poor hedgehog curled round the wire dead as a stone. Feck sake. Only spotted first hedgehog on the place this year and that could have been it :(

I’m thinking they aren’t the most robust of creatures ??

Was travelling along a fairly busy stretch and saw one in the middle of the road trying to cross to the other side. Pulled in and went to put it in a field. The hedgehog was having none of it - fecker tried to bite me.

Anyway he was duly deposited in some bushes in a safe place - but seemed decidely unhappy about the arrangement. Perrhaps I was the nth person that day who tried to stop him from crossing the road! Who knows :pac:

They will handle it better than China did so it should be somewhat contained. Isn’t it typical when the industry is doing so well.

They will not!

It's spreading across Europe from the wild boar population.
    All efforts to curtail it have failed due to totally the large wild boar population across Europe.

And there's nutters in this country that want wild boar loose in this country.
    There's a population of wild boar in Britain. It'll nigh on some job to stop it's march westwards across the channel.
    It'll be brought on some wilders boots into the New forest from Germany.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Stocked up on cat food today - I went at something else forgetting the car door was open.

cheeky cat.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Stocked up on cat food today - I went at something else forgetting the car door was open.

cheeky cat.jpg

Feck that cat can read.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

They will not!

All efforts to curtail it have failed due to totally the large wild boar population across Europe.

There's a population of wild boar in Britain. It'll nigh on some job to stop it's march westwards across the channel.

Maybe the wolves would eat the boar ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,209 ✭✭✭Grueller

Maybe they would both eat Eamonn Ryan?

• Advertisement

Are ye watching rte1 right now? :pac:

This has been on Germany's border now for some time.
    They were bargaining on the Neisse and Oder Rivers dividing germany from poland being an obstacle. Unfortunately boar being strong swimmers never got the memo that they were supposed to stay in Poland.

Meanwhile Denmark with their own industry were looking on at Germany and saying feck that Germany! And they go and built their own fence last year to stop German wild boar from getting into Denmark.

And so here we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

If it gets into Denmark the whole world will be affected

• Closed Accounts Posts: 165 ✭✭Little Miss Fairy

I've always been awful at recognising people and now, with the mask wearing, I'm even worse. Must take after my mother. She was at a funeral last year and couldn't place one of the sympathisers. When he told her his name, she replied “I didn’t recognise you with your clothes on!” (They often meet at the local swimming pool). My father (in his eighties) is still laughing about it ��

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

They will not!

A few wolves will sort them;) - seriously though in Japan their thinking about bringing back wolves to deal with the likes of exploding deer populations etc,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,722 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

ganmo wrote: »
    If it gets into Denmark the whole world will be affected

Peter Schmicheal will be p*ssed:pac:(football joke for non-fans!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Birdnuts wrote: »
    A few wolves will sort them;) - seriously though in Japan their thinking about bringing back wolves to deal with the likes of exploding deer populations etc,

Exploding deer? Now that sounds nasty. Sounds worse than swine flu anyway... :pac:

Isn't this cool. The tour de france.

Tractors for the wheels and quad bikes for the sprocket.

https://twitter.com/AgBioWorld/status/1304252716236111885?s=20

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The fields are organic and it's the riders that are on the artificial stuff!!

Water John wrote: »
    The fields are organic and it's the riders that are on the artificial stuff!!

Don't mention the WHO?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Got a bit of fright with this lady the other day. She was down flat and couldn’t get up. We gave her calcium and magnesium and electrolytes and kept having to sit her up during the night. Repeated the calcium and magnesium yesterday morning and thankfully she got up yesterday evening. She’s just after having one of her five a day.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement