Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is she calved?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Base price wrote: »
    Got a bit of fright with this lady the other day. She was down flat and couldn’t get up. We gave her calcium and magnesium and electrolytes and kept having to sit her up during the night. Repeated the calcium and magnesium yesterday morning and thankfully she got up yesterday evening. She’s just after having one of her five a day.

Is she getting any meal? She looks thin even for a Jersey in the photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is she calved?
    She calved in April and was rearing two adopted calves plus her own. We've taken one of the adopted ones away. I moved her beside the house (away from the rest) to keep an eye on her and she getting her crunch. I left hay on the ground at the yard gate and she is eating it.

A high mag bucket will cover her for tetany.

Jb1989 wrote: »
    Is she getting any meal? She looks thin even for a Jersey in the photo.
    She was getting meal along with dry fattening cows but she was down for three days and it fairly shook her up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

A high mag bucket will cover her for tetany.

If she’s getting nuts, would she need a himag?

If she’s getting nuts, would she need a himag?

It depends what's in the nuts, if there's any calmag in it and if she was getting the correct rate.

It depends what's in the nuts, if there's any calmag in it and if she was getting the correct rate.
    The cows were getting a mix of straights and we added dry cow minerals. I checked the label and it has magnesium and calcium but maybe not enough for her or she didn't eat enough of them. I'll get a high mag lick bucket for her tomorrow.

The cows were getting a mix of straights and we added dry cow minerals. I checked the label and it has magnesium and calcium but maybe not enough for her or she didn't eat enough of them. I'll get a high mag lick bucket for her tomorrow.
    If you want to cover her properly 2 magnesium bullets will do the job. We have buckets with our sucklers all the time. We learnt the hard way

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

A magnesium bullet or two in her rumen would be better again. Was she on lush grass that grew fast? Milking cows should be getting dairy minerals, if milking well. She is up and eating, that's a win.

EDit. Beaten to it.

• Advertisement

A magnesium bullet or two in her rumen would be better again. Was she on lush grass that grew fast? Milking cows should be getting dairy minerals, if milking well. She is up and eating, that's a win.

EDit. Beaten to it.
    She is our pet cow Daisy. She rears a few calves every year and is sorta the matriarch here.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Ta daaa.

Richie Kavanagh will be filling up the little Fergie.

https://www.facebook.com/NationalPloughingChampionship/

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

She is our pet cow Daisy. She rears a few calves every year and is sorta the matriarch here.

Jerseys can be more prone to metabolic issues, milk fever etc. A bag of post calver minerals may cover her if you don't want to get dairy nuts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

These things are gonna be the death of me never mind corona.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Delivering bales yesterday evening and there were sucklers in the field where I was unloading. Pure pets so they are and would think terrible bad of moving out of the way. Unloaded anyway and hooked up and hopped out to plug in the lights only to see the hoors had chewed through the cable. Luckily wasn't dark and came home grand.

Patched it up this morning and spent the day moving bales and back to the same farmer again this evening. Hoors only went and done it again :pac:

I'm back there tomorrow for a few loads so I'll wait to patch it back up again. I'm not too upset over it. Sure they were only investigating. The father is livid though!

Grueller wrote: »
    Maybe they would both eat Eamonn Ryan?

If they saw him nodding off during the day they'd avoid him, probably think he was sick with something.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

NcdJd wrote: »
    These things are gonna be the death of me never mind corona.

Will yours be gone out of season come Halloween?
    What's the market like for those at present?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Delivering bales yesterday evening and there were sucklers in the field where I was unloading. Pure pets so they are and would think terrible bad of moving out of the way. Unloaded anyway and hooked up and hopped out to plug in the lights only to see the hoors had chewed through the cable. Luckily wasn't dark and came home grand.

Patched it up this morning and spent the day moving bales and back to the same farmer again this evening. Hoors only went and done it again :pac:

I'm back there tomorrow for a few loads so I'll wait to patch it back up again. I'm not too upset over it. Sure they were only investigating. The father is livid though!

I'm adopting that as my go to excuse now :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Will yours be gone out of season come Halloween?
    What's the market like for those at present?

A couple of weeks to cure / ripen in the field and should be ready to roll the third week of October. Had to take them up as the vines were rotting and starting to go up the handles. Will spray them with a milton solution to kill the pathogens on the surface and handles. All on plastic pallets up from the ground.

Have two buyers lined up to collect them. Which is great for me as I don't need to organise transport. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

I don't quite match you but on Wed, one bullock reached under the wire and chewed the earth off the battery fencer. Gone in one hour, found them nearly a mile away.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Got a letter during the week telling me I had a remote sensing inspection, all was ok, just under their total area, is this part of the new LPIS that gave people a lot of bother last year.

Got a letter during the week telling me I had a remote sensing inspection, all was ok, just under their total area, is this part of the new LPIS that gave people a lot of bother last year.
    Ye be no harm to ring and see what the story is. The file has to be processed I only got paid last December

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Ye be no harm to ring and see what the story is. The file has to be processed I only got paid last December

It says in the letter, processing of payments will now commence provided I'm in compliance with all the other criteria, such as stocking rate etc

• Registered Users Posts: 326 ✭✭newholland mad

I had 1 last July 12 months and took till January to get a penny. Start ringing on Monday and don't stop till you get money and don't believe a word they tell you. Oh and by the way all that was after they found 0.3 ha over I'd hate to be under.

I had 1 last July 12 months and took till January to get a penny. Start ringing on Monday and don't stop till you get money and don't believe a word they tell you. Oh and by the way all that was after they found 0.3 ha over I'd hate to be under.

I rang every week from mid September. You have to wait for the report to come back from the satellite. Then it has to be processed. Get the name of who you are speaking to. You need your pps number to talk to them

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭raypallas

Quick run around with a few pig tails and a reel sort that out!

It should be a requirement to have recordings or transcripts of phone calls. I got the run around a few years ago. Three different excuses, then it turned out nothing was wrong. Sure it was just my money delayed, everyone in the Dept. got paid. There's FA accountability as farmers are, rightly, worried about not being paid at all.

At least if the ploughing was on you could queue up at the dept stand and ask what the story is, talk face to face

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Are all the streams of the marts skipping like mad or is it my parents bad internet do you think? Audio comes through fine and Youtube/speedtests are perfect so I think its the marts upload thats the problem, North Clare area, wherever people sell since Gort mart disappeared but he does be clicking around the country and says theyre all mostly bad.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I’m reading “The Wisdom of Crowds” at the moment and it’s reminding me of boards.ie a lot.

The author reckons any group needs diverse expertise, independence, and decentralisation to come up with good decisions. Posters on here have those 3 things so it’s not surprising the discussions are so useful and interesting.

My little bit of philosophy for a Saturday evening!

Hope everyone is enjoying the nice Autumn weather

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement