Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Has anyone tried to get marteye.ie up on their smart TV?
    Tried it on an LG tonight and it done nothing. Another may had a different host and wasn't working either.
    Tried to cast from laptop and it said wasn't compatible.

Any ideas?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Tried it on an LG tonight and it done nothing. Another may had a different host and wasn't working either.

Any ideas?

Has your laptop got a hdmi port ? You could connect the laptop to the telly and just "extend" or clone your laptop screen to the TV. If your broadband modem is close to the TV you could run a cat 5/6 network patch lead from one of the modem lan ports into the network port at the back of the tv if the wireless connectivity is a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,764 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

• Registered Users Posts: 21,389 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The Donegal tunnellers are world renowned.
    Donegal Tunnel Tigers; https://www.facebook.com/groups/916993271709750/

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

whelan2 wrote: »
    Surely they would have to be tagged or registered to move off farm

They would.
    And there could be eyebrows raised in the Dept if suddenly you have the same number of cows, but only 60% of the number of registrations as last year.
    You'd wonder what messing the dealer is at to be able to source tags and matching "calves" on his herd profile...
    Unless he had a horrible run of crypto or something and never had the dead calves collected....

• Advertisement

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    They would.
    And there could be eyebrows raised in the Dept if suddenly you have the same number of cows, but only 60% of the number of registrations as last year.
    You'd wonder what messing the dealer is at to be able to source tags and matching "calves" on his herd profile...
    Unless he had a horrible run of crypto or something and never had the dead calves collected....

The Dept would be onto you like a rash.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Young lad was with me at the time and he couldn't believe what he was hearing. I just said I tag as soon as they are born.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

God loves a trier

Yea, and the devil loves fools ☹️

Surely they would have to be tagged or registered to move off farm

Your right he was being an idiot.
    Bad enough your locked up with TB without idiots like that getting you into worse trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭emaherx

_Brian wrote: »

Seen hay baled in a few places this week, it all looked a nasty brown colour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

emaherx wrote: »
    Seen hay baled in a few places this week, it all looked a nasty brown colour.

Great stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 44 releasevalve

Any ideas?

It’s weird tried watching at work during day with Bluetooth earphones but kept jumping back to speakers on phone??

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

They would.

In a lot of those case's lad's will register calves to dry cow's or heifers in an attempt to get the registration figures to match up. It's a dodgy business and DNA tracing through genomics testing and the like is tightening the net on such operations.

A man I used work for once bought 25 incalf heifers off a local dealer/messer. They were all 3 year old first calver's springing down to an AA bull. Once about 10 of them had calved we went about tagging the calves and registering them. It was our first time using the online registration process and we kept getting a message saying the cow's selected had calved within the previous 280 days and therefore it wouldn't allow us to register this crop of calves to them. As the cows were all first calver's and the seller reared a lot of sucks I could only suspect that he sourced untagged calves and registered them to the heifer's to get them onto his own herd profile. Our man eventually got them registered after another 6 weeks as seemingly they had passed the threshold from the last birth being registered.

Not having the number of calves born to match the cows would be a red flag.
    AFAIK even if you have a certain level of calf mortality, they'd be giving you a visit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Knee in a bad way here. Think it’s the mcl ligament after a bit of googling. Hope/doubt it’s torn but Damn it’s sore. Keeping me awake. Anyone do damage to it before?

See mullinahone have a ploughing offer. New calf tags are 2.80 a set until the end of September and you get a free face mask with each order. I took note yesterday of each cow that needed a tag while scanning. 95% of the tags I ordered where the ones that didn't start with 372. They must have improved what's in the tags since then

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

See mullinahone have a ploughing offer. New calf tags are 2.80 a set until the end of September and you get a free face mask with each order. I took note yesterday of each cow that needed a tag while scanning. 95% of the tags I ordered where the ones that didn't start with 372. They must have improved what's in the tags since then

Is 372 a batch number of improved tags?
    Going through the sheep, I notice none have lost their electronic tag, but a good few are missing the ordinary one.

Is 372 a batch number of improved tags?
    Going through the sheep, I notice none have lost their electronic tag, but a good few are missing the ordinary one.

The tags that we use now all start with 372, it's the country code. Previously there was a 7 digit herd identifier on the start of the tag

Knee in a bad way here. Think it’s the mcl ligament after a bit of googling. Hope/doubt it’s torn but Damn it’s sore. Keeping me awake. Anyone do damage to it before?

Dislocated my knee. Never had pain like it ever

• Registered Users Posts: 5,208 ✭✭✭Grueller

I did it three years ago. Loading heifers from a slated shed and one went through me and my heel got caught in the slat and twisted the leg. Tore the MCL and also the cruciate at the same time. Most lads do the ACL for the cruciate but I did the Posterior Cruciate Ligament. The PCL controls less in the knee but is a tougher operation as it's harder to get into according to the surgeon that looked after me.
    I dont know which of the ligaments caused me the most pain at the time as I did both in the same instant but the pain was savage.
    My advice is to do everything that the surgeon and physios say. At the time I did mine the boss here was laid up after a knee replacement and I was doing up to 15000 steps per day in the knee brace and it was the stupidest thing I ever did. I would say I now have a knee replacement facing me down the line.
    Best of luck with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,022 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Been there, still affects some days especially cold days and rough ground
    Go to the doctor and get a Scan, both X-ray & MRI
    Let them know if you have health insurance
    Get it t seen ASAP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,925 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Doctors Booked for Friday. Tipping away doing very very light work but it’s hurting still. I had one bad knee as was but this is the good knee 😢

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

_Brian wrote: »

No fool like an old fool :rolleyes: Cut yesterday trying for hay. Old pasture, turns bitter in silage but cattle will go mad for it in hay

• Registered Users Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭minerleague

Doctors Booked for Friday. Tipping away doing very very light work but it’s hurting still. I had one bad knee as was but this is the good knee ��

Did ACL years ago playing football, they will do keyhole surgery to see whats up inside knee. Insist on this if youre sure damage is done, was fobbed off by doctor and physio saying just strained. Made it worse by going back playing

Smyths catalogue has arrived. It's nearly Christmas

Smyths catalogue has arrived. It's nearly Christmas

Went through it with the young lad today, want dat, want dat, want dat :D He's only two and a half in fairness he'd be delighted with a digger or dump truck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭Anto_Meath

Was in Sam Black's last year I was like a Child in a sweet shop with all the farming stuff, it leaves Smyth's in well behind when it comes to this.

Anto_Meath wrote: »
    Was in Sam Black's last year I was like a Child in a sweet shop with all the farming stuff, it leaves Smyth's in well behind when it comes to this.

Duffy's toyworld in Dunleer is the place to go

• Registered Users Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Got a letter during the week telling me I had a remote sensing inspection, all was ok, just under their total area, is this part of the new LPIS that gave people a lot of bother last year.

Got a second identical letter yesterday, but ANC payment text today, so all ok, hopefully their more up to speed this year

• Advertisement

Someone had a link up recently for pesticides training, can’t find it, like to see the training availability maybe do it over the winter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement