Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Danzy wrote: »
    You cow looks like she is being sent down from heaven.

If I remember right one of those cows was Jenny. Definitely not an angelic cow! :D Our land dips between two hills there so it's very foggy.
    PITA counting them when they're there though, got my walk in for the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I know it means winter is on the way but I love autumn mornings in the fields :)

Winter definitely rolling in, was only 3c last Friday morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

If there's one job I hate it's pulling plastic wrap up off slats

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

whelan2 wrote: »

How did it get there in the first place?

Parishlad wrote: »
    How did it get there in the first place?

I didn't put it there. I take the wraps off before giving out bales. I blame oh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Cutting it off the agitator.

Danzy wrote: »
    Cutting it off the agitator.

I let oh do that, I'm very nice that way

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭Parishlad

I didn't put it there. I take the wraps off before giving out bales. I blame oh.

:D

Cleaning up someone else's mess is a pita alright!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I was cutting silage for a man here today and part of his field had lots of brown in the leaf of the grass. What would that be?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Eldest lad went back to college today after 5 months off. One off my dry cows decided to calve way far away and the calf went down into a deep double ditch. My 75 year old dad went down and tied a rope on the calf and I pulled it up. A Belgian blue heifer. All is good.

This reminds me of a story that happened locally.
    Cousin had a few cows and calfs on mountain land and one of the calfs went missing. Big search on for this calf and no sign or call from it. Part of the land has a big drop down into a valley with a river running through it. Near 30 foot sheer drop. Concluded that the calf fell and was dead or stolen.
    About two years later when all was forgotten about, a neighbouring farming was searching for a cow he had lost. Same river flowed through his land but had easier access to it. He followed the river up about a mile. Got to a spot that was near impassable and with no sign of cow tracks he was about to turn back when he heard a moo further up the river. Couldn't understand how his cow would have got up further but taught it must be his. Had to climb up rock that would be a waterfall when the river was in full flow and there was the cow! But not his cow. Turns out it was the calf the cousin lost two years before had. Living down in the valley all that time.

Not sure if there was an attempt made to rescue it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I was cutting silage for a man here today and part of his field had lots of brown in the leaf of the grass. What would that be?

Probably lack of N, I'd say. Saw similar on a walk today where a bit of ground hadn't been spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Was that field spread with lime this year?
    Could be calcium overload.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,549 ✭✭✭roosterman71

No lime. Got about 3k/gal slurry at the end of June after 1st cut. Hadn't been touched since. Was no artificial fert. spread on it since spring either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

No lime. Got about 3k/gal slurry at the end of June after 1st cut. Hadn't been touched since. Was no artificial fert. spread on it since spring either

Go with Buford then.
    Add on age of grass as well.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

It could be rust or ryncho, same diseases that would be on corn.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

I have to go out for a bit.

He nice, we need the population in our side.

Some margin!!!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111277862#post111277862

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

If that's a regular programme it could be low K as well as the N mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I have to go out for a bit.

He nice, we need the population in our side.

Some margin!!!

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=111277862#post111277862

UK slaughtered, unusual to see it coming this way

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

I had problems with my 2010 1.6 litre diesel car, the engine management light would come on every 6 to 8 weeks and the pr1ck of a yoke would go into limp mode.
    The dpf filter and its sensor was the problem but nothing could be done to fix it. So we cut the filter out, put in a straight trought pipe, reprogrammed the engine management and she's been going like a bullet since :)

Feck these vars with electronics

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

I had problems with my 2010 1.6 litre diesel car, the engine management light would come on every 6 to 8 weeks and the pr1ck of a yoke would go into limp mode.
    The dpf filter and its sensor was the problem but nothing could be done to fix it. So we cut the filter out, put in a straight trought pipe, reprogrammed the engine management and she's been going like a bullet since :)

Sounds like a Vw?
    Sister had same with a passat lighting up like a christmas tree regularly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Sounds like a Vw?

Puegeot 407 was noted for those problems too

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

I was told by someone last week that all corpses have to be embalmed now, is that true? If so none of us will be breaking down too quickly!

Edit- nevermind, Google says no!!

I want to be composted. Seems someone else is pushing my idea - it's the latest trend :cool:

https://www.businessinsider.com/washington-state-human-compost-bodies-into-soil-2019-5

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Probably lack of N, I'd say. Saw similar on a walk today where a bit of ground hadn't been spread.

Thought yellow was lack of N. Heard lack of boron is an issue this year

• Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

gozunda wrote: »
    I want to be composted. Seems someone else is pushing my idea - it's the latest trend :cool:

https://www.businessinsider.com/washington-state-human-compost-bodies-into-soil-2019-5

I'll launch ya out the side slinger

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

gozunda wrote: »

About 18 years ago I was actively approached by an agnostic group wanting to buy my place in NCD so that they could use it to plant native trees and then bury people under them. From memory 12 to 14 could be buried around a single tree without going deeper to cater for other family members.

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

Similar here, all religions and none, used to be an estate/farm.
    managed to look like a woodland.

https://www.greengraveyard.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

I remember your man in the radio that wanted to be buried up to his b****x in bibi baskin.
    How’s that for ye :):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

Wife had the same with her diesel x-trail.
    Looking at a bill well over 1200 euro with Nissan, local lad cut the end off the DPF, emptied all the packing out and welded the end back on very neatly indeed.
    Read the engine management chip, emailed it to some guy in Russia or Poland who deleted the DPF software code and emailed it back.
    Perfect job, €350.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

I could think of a few that still would:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Sounds like a Vw?

Volvo S40. The lads in my local garage (all Polish and Lithuanian lads) say that are cut these dpf filters fairly regularly, once every 2 weeks.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement