Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭straight

Electricity, phone and other utilities are the same. No loyalty to customers, just low rates to attract new ones

Some contractors can be added to that list too. Think I'll have to get a second slurry man as competition for my current contractor who seems to be taking my business for granted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Am I right in saying that a debit card can be used anywhere online instead of a credit card?
    Can you buy cattle in a mart with the debit card?

I'm setting up a new farm account here and I'm wondering if I can get away without a credit card.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Am I right in saying that a debit card can be used anywhere online instead of a credit card?

I'm setting up a new farm account here and I'm wondering if I can get away without a credit card.

Yes. Separate farm account here and use a cheque book (very rarely)and debit card.
    If paying mart for cattle now I mainly do it on line by bank transfer. Just make sure to ask for a card reader.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Have used debit card to pay at mart. Very handy facility.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

_Brian wrote: »
    Have used debit card to pay at mart. Very handy facility.

Normally, just use a cheque book. Out of habit more than anything else. I have bought with a credit card before at a mart. My first time buying at that mart.

I have a cheque book, credit card and debit card already.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Normally, just use a cheque book. Out of habit more than anything else. I have bought with a credit card before at a mart. My first time buying at that mart.

I have a cheque book, credit card and debit card already.

Last six cheques in chequebook are for silage cuts. Card has seriously done away with the book in last few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Posted about young lads phone going missing in school the other day. It turned up today. Bus ticket still in the cover. Year headhead had words yesterday with those she thought responsible

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I thought I'd post this link here, a run down of one family's search for their cattle some two weeks after one of the recent fires in The US burned out their summer pastures.

https://m.facebook.com/100000394615251/posts/3425075960848857/?d=n

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I thought I'd post this link here, a run down of one family's search for their cattle some two weeks after one of the recent fires in The US burned out their summer pastures.

That is terrible now.

Unfortunately the powers that be up their you know what will probably look at that and think the solution is to not permit any more grazing of forest land.

I read somewhere that forest companies and perhaps the state in California were getting revenue from businesses across the US using the forests as carbon negative crediting to offset their own emissions.
    There's a lesson there for all that forests are not carbon negative. It's only negative if it's locked in place from degradation and destruction which they weren't.
    The one true sink of carbon is the soil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

That is terrible now.

Unfortunately the powers that be up their you know what will probably look at that and think the solution is to not permit any more grazing of forest land.

I read somewhere that forest companies and perhaps the state in California were getting revenue from businesses across the US using the forests as carbon negative crediting to offset their own emissions.
    There's a lesson there for all that forests are not carbon negative. It's only negative if it's locked in place from degradation and destruction which they weren't.
    The one true sink of carbon is the soil.

And of course in tandem with leaving as much of it sunk under the ground as possible..

Jjameson wrote: »
    And of course in tandem with leaving as much of it sunk under the ground as possible..

^^^

That's the only metric that matters any more. Stop adding a bigger load of C to be taken out and we might have a chance.

^^^

That's the only metric that matters any more. Stop adding a bigger load of C to be taken out and we might have a chance.
    Can you extrapolate a bit more on that please?
    After Hours has my brain fuzzed.

Is there much point in talking about carbon sequestration into soils while allowing peat and turf to be extracted on an industrial scale?
    Same for ongoing drainage of peat soils and bog which causes release of stored carbon.

Can you extrapolate a bit more on that please?
    After Hours has my brain fuzzed.

The emissions caused by Ag are high on the agenda atm but the figures used are intentionally misleading.

While the figure of 34% of all emissions in Ireland is correct, it's a gross figure. All the C emitted by Ag is C that already is present in the environment but there's no credit given for the uptake of C in the figures used to castigate Ag.

Added to that is the lack of credit for sequestration of C in Ag soils, predominately grassland. Teagasc found a figure of 1T of C being sequestered in grasslands. While that's a preliminary figure and may rise or fall somewhat when more data is added, again, no adjustment is made to the gross Ag emissions figures.

The root of the problem is the source of the added C being emitted. If there was no more C added from fossil fuels from today, we would have a lot of difficulty in taking up the last 30 or 40 years of added C from fossil fuels used to power our modern world.

Many have pointed to Regen Ag as the saviour that's going to suck up all the excess C added and store it in soils. It may even do that if widely adopted and the speculation on its usefulness in storing C is correct.

But it's all for nothing unless we stop sucking even more C out of longterm storage in fossil fuels.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

If you want praise, die.
    If you want blame marry.

Always come to mind when I read obituaries

Is there much point in talking about carbon sequestration into soils while allowing peat and turf to be extracted on an industrial scale?
    Same for ongoing drainage of peat soils and bog which causes release of stored carbon.

That reminds me, I must ring the digger man :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

I agree with you on industrial scale peat harvesting.
    With Bord na Mona shutting down this is nearly gone.

However, domestic cutting of turf for own use is something that should be maintained.
    To ban it is the equivalent of banning "unsustainable" beef farming in Ireland and buying Brazilian beef from the Amazon instead.

If people are stopped from cutting turf 90% would switch to over to oil central heating.
    And small scale turf cutting in a reasonable sized bog is effectively renewable in comparison to the fossilised C in Saudi Oil.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

Neddyusa wrote: »

However, domestic cutting of turf for own use is something that should be maintained.
    To ban it is the equivalent of banning "unsustainable" beef farming in Ireland and buying Brazilian beef from the Amazon instead.

If people are stopped from cutting turf 90% would switch to over to oil central heating.
    And small scale turf cutting in a reasonable sized bog is effectively renewable in comparison to the fossilised C in Saudi Oil.

I disagree... Purely for the reason give people an inch and they’ll take a mile...

If you allow cutting for own use - I suspect you will continue to see plenty turf for sale on DoneDeal or the likes...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

I disagree... Purely for the reason give people an inch and they’ll take a mile...

If you allow cutting for own use - I suspect you will continue to see plenty turf for sale on DoneDeal or the likes...

But if it’s displacing imported oil?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

But if it’s displacing imported oil?

Yeah, I know - but there are other options other than oil for heating.

You can’t replace peat...

You can’t replace peat...

Easier replace it than oil.
    Just keep the land in an anaerobic environment with bog plants.

Although oil can be made via pyrolysis of biomass. But it's more labour than doing nothing with a bog.

Neddyusa wrote: »

I would allow turf cutting.

But only with a slane. No 20 tonne machines making sausages.
    No tractors on the bog, everything to be barrowed out.

That’s the way it was done traditionally and I’d allow the tradition continue.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭Neddyusa

There you go - that puts paid to the strange notion that losing Phil as trade commissioner would be a blow to Irish farmers.
    Phil was very happy to sign us up to Mercusor.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

God that's heart breaking. I've visited and stayed in the Plumas National Forest region in Northern California and its truely breathtakingly beautiful. Cant imagine the pain people living there are going through losing so much ...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Any body know what the chip type is called that is used in etags?
    I'm looking at getting an rfid reader but there are different types of them and I want to be sure itll work

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

ganmo wrote: »
    Any body know what the chip type is called that is used in etags?
    I'm looking at getting an rfid reader but there are different types of them and I want to be sure itll work

I may be wrong but I think I remember being told that the chips can vary and need specific readers.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement