Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

whelan2 wrote: »
    I think man city were being bet at the same time as that programme was on. Much better viewing

The only time i watch sport is when I'm sitting in my local having a pint at the bar. Golf and football on the telly. But haven't done that since the coronavirus took off. I really really miss that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

_Brian wrote: »
    Watching that program and expecting anything other than a vegan agenda being pushed is silly.

It’s set up to appease a section of society that have no relationship to food, farming or health. They buy foods just to talk about what they are buying and where they are getting it from.

Doesn’t matter if it’s hyper processed, produced from ingredients with no sustainability and not supporting a local industry. They think it’s cool, their weird friends think it’s cool and they all probably think farms should all be shut down amd populated with bears, beavers and wolves.

Have never paid the licence fee in my life and when I’m pension age I’ll post the free one back to them. About 10% of the programming is public interest broadcasting and the rest is just rubbish.

I don’t know why, but this I don’t pay my licence but I think it’s ok to watch and criticise RTÉ’ annoys me...

If you want to pay the licence, that’s fine. But to me, not paying the licence means you lose the right to criticise. Its like voting - you don’t vote, you don’t get to complain afterwards...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I don’t know why, but this I don’t pay my licence but I think it’s ok to watch and criticise RTÉ’ annoys me...

If you want to pay the licence, that’s fine. But to me, not paying the licence means you lose the right to criticise. Its like voting - you don’t vote, you don’t get to complain afterwards...

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

I don’t know why, but this I don’t pay my licence but I think it’s ok to watch and criticise RTɒ annoys me...

Nope, its nothing like voting.
    In fact, if voting was like the RTE licence fee, you'd be charged €160 euro a year for owning a pencil.
    Whether you used it to vote or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,215 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Hi up, this is one of the threads on boards I'd always keep an eye on from afar. Theres a great community feel to the place so fair play to ye.

Anyway, thought you'd like to see this if it hasn't been linked here already.

https://twitter.com/BBCSPORTNI/status/1310180760469598208?s=19

That's Billy and his stabiliser cattle.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Same "vegan agenda" as last week, so.
    RTE really are the pits with lazy, tabloid, schlock-horror shows like this.
    One of the reasons I haven't bought a licence for nearly 20 years..

But rem Rte 'truth matters' - well it does to the extent to the exorbitant salaries paid to its top paid actors / media peoples ...

Tbh - I've stopped watching rte due to its prevailing pc right on bs ...

Its little better than tabloid reportage at this stage and yet it remains state supported. Time that was sorted eitherway ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I'd agree with you up to a point.

RTE are funded by the whole country and there's an onus on them to broadcast accurate programming. Their recent output is anything but accurate and balanced.

In fact, it seems more like campaigning which is well beyond its remit. I'm finding it difficult to justify paying for it myself. If RTE were a subscription service, I wouldn't even consider paying for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Is TG4 funded by the license ?

Anyway finding myself I'm watching less and less of rte. Alot of repeats and the stuff they show I've no interest in it. Listen to the radio alot more than i would watch television.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I'm watching almost zero TV now. Wish I could say the same about YouTube.. ..😄.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I don’t know why, but this I don’t pay my licence but I think it’s ok to watch and criticise RTɒ annoys me...

No I can definitely criticise things I don’t pay for, that’s just free speech.

I also object to the notion that I need a licence to have my tv/laptop to watch YouTube or Netflix, just because it’s “capable” of receiving a signal or whatever Tom foolery they use as a description.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I'd agree with you up to a point.

RTE are funded by the whole country and there's an onus on them to broadcast accurate programming. Their recent output is anything but accurate and balanced.

In fact, it seems more like campaigning which is well beyond its remit. I'm finding it difficult to justify paying for it myself. If RTE were a subscription service, I wouldn't even consider paying for it.

If it were a subscription service it would be long broke and closed.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

The irony is that RTE thinks it being cool and trendy but the meat-bad-vegan-good debate has long since moved on. Even the vegan and climate advocates on Twitter have a more rounded view after the debates, discussions, etc. over the past 12-18 months.

But RTE is part of the public service mindset: overpaid and out-of-touch.

I wouldn't be too concerned though: fewer people than ever are watching RTE and even fewer are going to be influenced by programming that's long past its sell-by date.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I used to look forward to fair city, since it has come back on it's terrible, cringeworthy stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭straight

Nope, its nothing like voting.
    In fact, if voting was like the RTE licence fee, you'd be charged €160 euro a year for owning a pencil.
    Whether you used it to vote or not.

Correct, if you own a TV you're liable to pay the license whether you watch RTE or not. In effect owning a TV legally in Ireland is subsidising RTE propaganda.

Also, they want the license changed to incorporate anything capable of playing RTE player, so that will include laptops, tablets, smartphones etc.

If it was such a great service they would make it a subscription service and let it stand on it's own two feet.

I wouldn't be too concerned though: fewer people than ever are watching RTE and even fewer are going to be influenced by programming that's long past its sell-by date.

The requirement fo a licence for a radio was only abolished in 1972, when more and more people were buying TV's.
    You needed a separate licence if you were lucky enough to have a radio in your car. .
    I changed my own car last week, and was surprised to find that RTE 2FM was one of the stations present on the radio.
    Genuinely thought it had closed down years ago..
    I

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Kiss the ground on Netflix is a good documentry for anybody interested in global warming/carbon footprint etc. I thought it was very interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Anyone able to recommend a land surveyor who could tell me what is under the top soil of a field? Is that possible without digging holes? And someone to value a plot for me too. North tipp region

Anyone able to recommend a land surveyor who could tell me what is under the top soil of a field? Is that possible without digging holes? And someone to value a plot for me too. North tipp region

Do you mean a geological evaluation or soil profile information / natural drainage?

gozunda wrote: »
    Do you mean a geological valuation or soil profile information / natural drainage?

Not so much drainage. Interested to see if there's rock or sand underneath. Not gonna build there or anything, but if there was sand I'd dig out some to fix up a laneway into the field.

• Advertisement

Not so much drainage. Interested to see if there's rock or sand underneath. Not gonna build there or anything, but if there was sand I'd dig out some to fix up a laneway into the field.

Recommend you get yourself a copy of 'Soils of North Tipperary' undertaken by An Foras Taluntais.

This series of soil surveys provide detailed drainage / geological and soil information for each area surveyed.

I think some of that info is available here as pdf's. Search for North Tipperary

https://www.teagasc.ie/crops/soil--soil-fertility/county-soil-maps/

gozunda wrote: »
    Recommend you get yourself a copy of 'Soils of North Tipperary' undertaken by An Foras Taluntais.

This series of soil surveys provide detailed drainage / geological and soil information for each area surveyed.

I think some if that info is available here as pdf's.
    Search for North Tipperary

https://www.teagasc.ie/crops/soil--soil-fertility/county-soil-maps/

Some amount of info there. The plot I'm looking at is down as "peaty". I might dig a hole some day and see if that's right or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Just dug some test holes. Keep it simple.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

You won't get rid of me just yet. but it's looking like I'll be getting a pacemaker.
    I was in the beacon at eight and home now, how is that for service

• Registered Users Posts: 4,793 ✭✭✭straight

Ask the neighbouring land owners

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

wrangler wrote: »
    You won't get rid of me just yet. but it's looking like I'll be getting a pacemaker.
    I was in the beacon at eight and home now, how is that for service
    Good to hear, wrangler.

Just keep away from the Sex and Sexuality forum, it's really for the best:D

Good to hear, wrangler.

I'll add the Christianity forum and the Airlines forum.
    Probably trow in Veganism forum and the Pets one as well!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Tileman

straight wrote: »
    Ask the neighbouring land owners

If he is interested in buying land then the locals won’t give him unbiased info.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I'll add the Christianity forum and the Airlines forum.
    Probably trow in Veganism forum and the Pets one as well!

In other words just stay on farming and forestry

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,444 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Good to hear, wrangler.

Where is that?????

Asking for a friend ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement