Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Water John wrote: »
    A lot of the Extra Virgin Olive oil hasn't been a virgin for a long time.

The waste from olive oil processing is a major hazard.
    It's something like 80% is waste.

It's a thing that's just not talked about. By the authorities nor the people in the regions. For it would be against the people and against your country.

It's usually dumped on land or into waterways.

And there's a few boardsie's heard that also from the horse's mouth..

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Danzy wrote: »
    Lots of Americans, especially the bottom half of society have had it better the last few years than in decades.

There are a lot of people in the modern Democratic party that are far more radical and intolerant than Justin Boyd Barrett and Americans have a right to be fearful.

Are you mixing up Justin Barrett and Richard Boyd Barrett? Because I doubt either will be flattered. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

The waste from olive oil processing is a major hazard.
    It's something like 80% is waste.

It's a thing that's just not talked about. By the authorities nor the people in the regions. For it would be against the people and against your country.

It's usually dumped on land or into waterways.

And there's a few boardsie's heard that also from the horse's mouth..

Not all of it
    https://olivepork.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    That's a very Italian solution, Gozunda!

When the Milk super levy was introduced, Italian dairy men just ignored it for a few years.
    Then the EU tried to enforce it.
    That didn't really work either, so the EU introduced a slaughter scheme for dairy cows, withcompensation for each cow sent to the factory from the dairy herd.
    Payment was issued for each cow culled, and the proof of culling was the number of ears with the tags attached.
    But a strange thing happened, despite tens of thousands of cows culled, milk delivery to the dairys was rising.

Extensive investigations revealed tens of thousands of one-eared cows milking away on Italian farms...

What about the Greeks.
    Didn’t the inhabitants of an island get caught out all claiming payments for being blind including shopkeepers, farmers and even taxi drivers. Some were claiming other disabilities payments too.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭Water John

_Brian wrote: »
    What about the Greeks.
    Didn’t the inhabitants of an island get caught out all claiming payments for being blind including shopkeepers, farmers and even taxi drivers. Some were claiming other disabilities payments too.

Houses were left unfinished in Greece so that they wouldn't have to pay property tax.

• Advertisement

_Brian wrote: »
    What about the Greeks.

They had a property tax in Greece, which got paid on completion of the build. You'd see a lot of inhabited homes that had unfinished 3rd and 4th floors. I'm sure the two things weren't connected at all.

Houses were left unfinished in Greece so that they wouldn't have to pay property tax.

Snap..... if I hadn't fixed typos :pac:

That's why the Greek economy was in trouble, most Greeks avoided paying tax of any sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,748 ✭✭✭ganmo

Taxes are for other people

I see Wexford is just behind Meath on the acreage of land that's going under solar farms.

There'll be a lot of sheep required to graze underneath.
    Tillage, vegetable and grassland going to Solar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,021 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

I see Wexford is just behind Meath on the acreage of land that's going under solar farms.

There'll be a lot of sheep required to graze underneath.
    Tillage, vegetable and grassland going to Solar.

With soo much roof space available on farms, could that not be pursued first

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

There's trouble managing the load and feeding in information on what supply is being pushed into the system. Too much fed in without enough being drawn down could overload the system, iirc. Smart metering would help a good bit in that regard but it seems to be pushed down the tracks even further this year.

I don't know what the motives or hindrances are but it's 1060 ha (2620 acres) of ground now in this fell swoop going to be under panels in just Meath and Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

I see Tomas Burke has got the Livestock position in IFA , He used to be a right terrier if there was an issue, hopefully he hasn't mellowed since I left

There would be a bit of differential of about 5/10% solar output because of sunshine/irridation in favour of Wexford.

Just finished tidying up a shed here.

The good news is I have 8 more bales of straw than I thought I had.

The bad news is I have 8 fewer bales of hay than I thought I had.

There would be a bit of differential of about 5/10% solar output because of sunshine/irridation in favour of Wexford.

And even a difference between me in north Wexford and anyone on the south coast of Wexford.

I wonder though will the land owners still receive a bps payment?
    If they won't they'll be forced onto the land market to retain their payments.
    That's not to say they won't be in the market anyway looking for something to occupy their free time now with full pockets.

Just finished tidying up a shed here.

The good news is I have 8 more bales of straw than I thought I had.

The bad news is I have 8 fewer bales of hay than I thought I had.
    That's what you get for letting townies fill your shed..

And even a difference between me in north Wexford and anyone on the south coast of Wexford.

That's not to say they won't be in the market anyway looking for something to occupy their free time now with full pockets.

That was an issue that came up when lease options were being initially offered. From memory, originally there was no problem. Then I think the Dept of Finance advocated a change but this was later rescinded. The land is still agricultural land TMK, hence the need to have sheep/calves on it. Solar electricity and organic meat production. Land loses about 30% of grass production due to shade.

That's what you get for letting townies fill your shed..

Tbf, I'd have a lot less of both if I left them empty the shed:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

As far as I know they don’t affect the BPS...

I don’t see why they should - if you can still graze sheep under them, that’s still farming... ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Entire farms will be covered. 70 acre one going up near me.

Entire farms will be covered. 70 acre one going up near me.

From what I have heard - a 70acre solar farm wouldn’t even be that big. They are looking for farms in the 100+ size of at all possible?

Would agree with Hard Knocks - why don’t they put some scheme in to put panels on shed roofs?
    But as always, we want to take the easy way out :(

Five acres produces one MW. About 800Mw in in Phase 1. UK installed 1Gw solar last month alone.
    I agree roofs should be used too at a different price point. But it would take a lot of roof space to cover five acres.
    Great option for those whose land was suitably located.

Five acres produces one MW. About 800Mw in in Phase 1. UK installed 1Gw solar last month alone.
    I agree roofs should be used too at a different price point. But it would take a lot of roof space to cover five acres.
    Great option for those whose land was suitably located.

Agree - I don’t think it should be either or...

I think there should be more micro generation possibilities supported, across all generation types - solar, wind, water...
    Not just massive industrial ventures..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Roofs have to be too a certain weight bearing spec, about 5 years ago over here companies would re roof your sheds for free and upgrade for x years free rent. Helped alot of farms with knackered sheds string them out a while longer.

Agree - I don’t think it should be either or...

I think there should be more micro generation possibilities supported, across all generation types - solar, wind, water...
    Not just massive industrial ventures..

Absolutely agree, not a large difference in the scheme of things in terms of output but would greatly help with wider buy in from the public.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

From what I have heard - a 70acre solar farm wouldn’t even be that big. They are looking for farms in the 100+ size of at all possible?

Would agree with Hard Knocks - why don’t they put some scheme in to put panels on shed roofs?

Sheds are too small. 70 acres is a lot of sheds. 100 acres is more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭50HX

Plus they want the acerage in open tracks of land, not 100 acres in 20 fields type senario

I wonder like the forsetry would you have to re panel at your own expenses after so many years:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Sheds are too small. 70 acres is a lot of sheds. 100 acres is more.

There's big issues with transmission losses with electricity being produced in remote areas to provide for high demand elsewhere.

Makes more sense to have these solar 'farms' use brownfield sites adjacent to urban areas and unused land adjacent to major roadways.

A lot of these current developments are being driven by investment companies becauce 'green' investments are popular not necessarily that they makes sense ...

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement