Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Reggie. wrote: »
    Thought yellow was lack of N. Heard lack of boron is an issue this year

I'd say that's more N deficiency, when it's prolonged like that, the tips die off.

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Wife had the same with her diesel x-trail.
    Looking at a bill well over 1200 euro with Nissan, local lad cut the end off the DPF, emptied all the packing out and welded the end back on very neatly indeed.
    Read the engine management chip, emailed it to some guy in Russia or Poland who deleted the DPF software code and emailed it back.
    Perfect job, €350.

Yeah, these lads did the same thing only they have the software in the garage to reprogram most cars. They only charged me €220

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Yeah, these lads did the same thing only they have the software in the garage to reprogram most cars. They only charged me €220

I was charged €90 for reprogramming an old L200, seems I got off light

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Keep Sluicing

wrangler wrote: »
    I was charged €90 for reprogramming an old L200, seems I got off light

I suppose the reprogram costs 90 or 100. The labour cost of cutting open the filter and welding it up again was the rest of the bill

• Registered Users Posts: 6,114 ✭✭✭emaherx

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,511 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Had a close one this evening. Went out to calving paddock after milking to check them. Was nearly across the field when a cow went for me. I legged it into round feeder. She was calving but thought another calf that was after being born was hers. I managed to get back to yard and watched her from the house. One leg and head coming. Had to bring her in to calve her. Oh used digger and I used jeep. Got her in and leg bent back. Straightened it, calved her a d let her back out. She will not be going on calf again next year.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Had a close one this evening. Went out to calving paddock after milking to check them. Was nearly across the field when a cow went for me. I legged it into round feeder. She was calving but thought another calf that was after being born was hers. I managed to get back to yard and watched her from the house. One leg and head coming. Had to bring her in to calve her. Oh used digger and I used jeep. Got her in and leg bent back. Straightened it, calved her a d let her back out. She will not be going on calf again next year.

No, you could do without that.
    How are you now?

emaherx wrote: »
    No, you could do without that.
    How are you now?

Having a glass of wine.... lucky it wasn't my dad

Having a glass of wine.... lucky it wasn't my dad

Hope it's a big glass.
    Yea, I used to worry about situations my Dad would put himself in with cattle and he was quite slow on his feet.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭MeTheMan

Lucky the round feeder was close by!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Never go into the field without my hazel stick

dzer2 wrote: »

Would it stop a cow with full intent?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭dzer2

Stopped a young bull dead in his tracks.

Lucky I wasnt on my phone as I wouldnt have been watching the cow.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 1,888 Mod ✭✭✭✭Albert Johnson

dzer2 wrote: »

Never was much of a fan of hazel or God forbid one of those plastic fly swatters you get at the ploughing. A young ash about chest high, well seasoned, not too light and with a good hard knot on the end is the only job imo. If looked after and not abused it should last 12 months + and is a serious tool for handling stock. As to whether it would stop a beast full charge I don't know, they'll generally close there eyes and keep coming in my experience. Not a nice situation too be in and it's only afterwards that you realize how frightening it was at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,773 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

emaherx wrote: »
    Would it stop a cow with full intent?

A good blackthorn bush, just big enough to handle will put a stop to dangerous charging cattle too. Not that you want to be in a position to use it, but it worked for me in the past. They won't push their head through the thorns.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Started the day at the ploughing.
    Finished it drawing in bales.

3:45 start in the morning for swim training in NAC

Good thing I don’t sleep much anyway 😆

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Blackthorn stick here but hard to get. I've one en route which I've been watching for the last few years, waiting for it to get to the correct height for me, a straight rooted blackthorn :D

Glad to hear you're ok whelan, frightener like that isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,529 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

I have being trying in vain to get rid of the worst of them here but it seems to me another 1 or 2 cows go that way every year. Maybe it's just the limousin's. Been in that situation way too many times.

I have being trying in vain to get rid of the worst of them here but it seems to me another 1 or 2 cows go that way every year. Maybe it's just the limousin's. Been in that situation way too many times.

I've noted here that any cow which has a calf which needs treatment of any sort- scour/antibiotic etc, is much much more protective the following year.
    Cows I was able to go into the pen & inject calves etc with last year were going for me this year after calving.
    Maybe it's just here but now have them remembered if calf needed treatment.

• Advertisement

I'd be very wary of the sucklers alright, wouldn't normally get this with the milkers who are used to be handled etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Blackthorn stick here but hard to get. I've one en route which I've been watching for the last few years, waiting for it to get to the correct height for me, a straight rooted blackthorn :D

Glad to hear you're ok whelan, frightener like that isn't good.
    How long would the stick gave to be!
    Unless one has some matadorial training I would think the game would be up by the time a charging beast would get within range!
    Is fearr rith maith ná droch sheasamh!

Not much of a crop of cooking apples this year

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭KatyMac

Had a Department inspection for GLAS yesterday! Serious case of the heeby jeebies when I got the phonecall.
    Decent fella. He found a corner that I sorta cut when fencing a river. It was stony ground and we gave up trying to sink posts and just made a shortcut across the corner, he told me that I would be cut that amount but considering he didn't seem to find anything else I will live with that. The letter requesting the paperwork is to follow, so I spent last night looking for it. It's my first 'real' serious inspection so didn't have a clue what to expect. Was a great day for walking the land and everything that will look miserable mucky and bad in another couple of weeks was looking well.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,218 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

KatyMac wrote: »
    Had a Department inspection for GLAS yesterday! Serious case of the heeby jeebies when I got the phonecall.
    Decent fella. He found a corner that I sorta cut when fencing a river. It was stony ground and we gave up trying to sink posts and just made a shortcut across the corner, he told me that I would be cut that amount but considering he didn't seem to find anything else I will live with that. The letter requesting the paperwork is to follow, so I spent last night looking for it. It's my first 'real' serious inspection so didn't hav
    e a clue what to expect. Was a great day for walking the land and everything that will look miserable mucky and bad in another couple of weeks was looking well.

Probably a 1% cut, which is as good a result as anyone ever gets.
    (Unless anyone reading this scored 100% compliance on a Glas or Cross Compliance, let us know)

Clear herd test:D While they were in the crush I dosed all the calves too, great letting them back out into sunshine for a change!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    KatyMac wrote: »
    Decent fella. He found a corner that I sorta cut when fencing a river. It was stony ground and we gave up trying to sink posts and just made a shortcut across the corner, he told me that I would be cut that amount but considering he didn't seem to find anything else I will live with that. The letter requesting the paperwork is to follow, so I spent last night looking for it. It's my first 'real' serious inspection so didn't hav
    e a clue what to expect. Was a great day for walking the land and everything that will look miserable mucky and bad in another couple of weeks was looking well.

(Unless anyone reading this scored 100% compliance on a Glas or Cross Compliance, let us know)
    I'd a GLAS inspection a few years back without issues. Except I got a letter a few months after saying that I never followed up with the paperwork (which I had)! Only that I had asked for a receipt when I dropped it to the office I could have had a problem. I had everything copied so it easy to send it on again.
    Be sure and copy and get receipts is all I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭L1985

I got 100% actually had a few small bits but was allowed the month to fix them and got the letter saying I’d passed. Mine was mostly fencing the river thou so had none of that wild bird seed etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Remember to look after out for our little ratty friends this winter ...

https://www.irishmirror.ie/news/irish-news/applegreen-rat-defended-animal-rights-20100717

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement