Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Farming Chitchat 10/10- Now VIRUS-FREE!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,020 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

To be fair the camera online is great but it's a bit high above the ring to judge cattle rightly. They look bigger than their weights. Was over around 7 or that. I'd just out the cows in, made coffee & sat down to watch it. Two bulls later it was over!
    That was early
    Lots about when I went by at 730

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

That was early
    Lots about when I went by at 730

Sorry, you're right. I left the shed at 7. By the time I sat down it was probably half seven or after.

Sorry, you're right. I left the shed at 7. By the time I sat down it was probably half seven or after.

Still some going
    Think I was selling at 9 2/3 years ago with another 50 to go

Still some going
    Think I was selling at 9 2/3 years ago with another 50 to go

Nixon was flying through them at one stage, lad in the ring could barely get them off the bridge fast enough, they were opening as they came into the ring.
    Other fella, dunno his name, McAteer perhaps, was opening them very low & then dragging it out & no extra when on the market.

Nixon was flying through them at one stage, lad in the ring could barely get them off the bridge fast enough, they were opening as they came into the ring.
    Other fella, dunno his name, McAteer perhaps, was opening them very low & then dragging it out & no extra when on the market.

Just like old

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,480 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

The lidl/aldi electric dog hair cutters is some machine to cut hair.

I'd recommend the basset hound setting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

The lidl/aldi electric dog hair cutters is some machine to cut hair.

I'd recommend the basset hound setting.

Would it work on human hair? Need to get something to get rid of the big mullet i have on me. Starting to look like Robert Plant here.

NcdJd wrote: »
    Would it work on human hair? Need to get something to get rid of the big mullet i have on me. Starting to look like Robert Plant here.

Excellent on human hair.

Right little motor.

Is Boards acting the bollocks for anyone else this morning? 503 errors all over the shop for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Is Boards acting the bollocks for anyone else this morning? 503 errors all over the shop for me.

Leaves down in the tracks and the hamsters have to run slower or some similar technical problem.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yeah, 503s all morning for me as well. The office has been notified but it will probably be tomorrow before it's fixed.
    _Brian wrote: »
    Leaves down in the tracks and the hamsters have to run slower or some similar technical problem.

I think I may have accidentally blown some of the weekend coke into their water bowl at last nights party:pac:

"I'm sorry Dave. I'm afraid I can't do that."

Not a peep out of the cows this morning, they know what it's like out there!
    New creep gates working mighty, calves are dry & clean & learned them very quickly.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

My few calves are coughing a bit the last few days. What would lads normally give em ?
    Is a pour on/injection severe on calves or is an oral dose better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

CHOPS01 wrote: »
    My few calves are coughing a bit the last few days. What would lads normally give em ?
    Is a pour on/injection severe on calves or is an oral dose better ?

Hard call.
    If they are coughing much I’d play it safe and oral drench. Stressful enough time on them without over burdening them.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,387 ✭✭✭✭Water John

The oral drench paralyses the worms and the calf coughs them up gradually, the pour on kills them and if its a severe infection can be high burden and cause pneumonia.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Have you dosed them before? I'd so the advice I think is to alternate products in terms of active ingredients. So if you gave them an ivermectin last time give a different one this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,264 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Water John wrote: »
    The oral drench paralyses the worms and the calf coughs them up gradually, the pour on kills them and if its a severe infection can be high burden and cause pneumonia.
    We always used Levacide injection for calves/weanlings but unfortunately it appears to be off the market and cannot be sourced anymore. We never had a problem with calves getting pneumonia after using it. We used Levafas Diamond a few weeks ago but I was worried that we might have a problem with pneumonia but thankfully we didn't. It's very important use the correct volume of dose per animal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

No Liverpool or united jerseys on display at underage football tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I says wrote: »

Or man city :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭I says

whelan2 wrote: »
    Or man city :D

Who

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Base price wrote: »
    We always used Levacide injection for calves/weanlings but unfortunately it appears to be off the market and cannot be sourced anymore. We never had a problem with calves getting pneumonia after using it. We used Levafas Diamond a few weeks ago but I was worried that we might have a problem with pneumonia but thankfully we didn't. It's very important use the correct volume of dose per animal.

one of the ingredients in Levafas Diamond is Levamisole , which is the same as levacide

orm0nd wrote: »
    one of the ingredients in Levafas Diamond is Levamisole , which is the same as levacide
    Over the years I've always heard of farmers been cautious about dosing with Levafas Diamond as it can trigger pneumonia. We have used it over the years for older bought in cattle but it is the first time that we used it on young stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,259 ✭✭✭tanko

Levicide injection is still available in vets.

tanko wrote: »
    Levicide injection is still available in vets.
    Is it now classed as V-POM or is that your Vet has old stock. Our Vet doesn't sell doses.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭CHOPS01

Mooooo wrote: »
    Have you dosed them before? I'd so the advice I think is to alternate products in terms of active ingredients. So if you gave them an ivermectin last time give a different one this time.

Not dosed yet. Had planned on doing them with a pour on but wondered is a pour on too severe on 6/7 month old.

It seems its all about the burden load. I used pour on with bought in weanlings, some carrying a heavy stomach worm burden, no coughing and they were fine.
    Lungworm might have been a different matter.

I wormed all with pour on early august, drenched them today while weighing.
    Never drenched weanlings before, that was an experience :pac:

Gave up with headlock gate & just got into the crush with them, much easier actually. Dad almost had a fit.

I have not used oral drench in a good while. Would the hook gun be an option? Better than getting up close and personal, which I have done also when younger.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,506 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I says wrote: »

Just home from a game. Will be a while before we have another one the way things are going :mad:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement